PDA

View Full Version : Factory SBR, 5.56 suppressor, and .22lr suppressor check in

snakebit
12-31-16, 10:51
Gentlemen,

I am a long time and frequent reader of the forums. I have gained some knowledge here as I have added to my inventory of rifles and pistols over the years, making wise choices staying in the Colt/BCM areas and purchasing quality, long lasting gear. Father of four sons that is putting together an inventory that everyone can enjoy. I post little as it is not necessary to talk and ask questions while walking around the library, mouth shut ears open.

Venturing into the NFA realm and lurking through all the threads in here I have hopefully learned enough to make a few purchases. I post today to ask for any guidance, ideas, directions to look in so that I do not make any rookie mistakes on a SBR and a couple suppressors.

Uses are range time with my boys and possibly a HD gun, others are already in the rotation, so not necessary.

I am going to purchase a factory 5.56 SBR of the 10" to 11" variety. Plan to keep suppressed most of the time. Options:

-DD MK18, in stock locally and looks to be a solid weapon. Question: the rail/barrel length looks tight to attach suppressor and proper flash hider, do only certain suppressors fit this barrel/rail combination? Not a lot of real estate out there? After looking closer at the pictures on the DD website of the MK18, the weapon in stock in town appears to be even tighter as the flash hider does not stick out that far. I will check into that more, it is a DD stocking dealer not a shop built gun. Could just by my eyes playing tricks on me.

-BCM 11.5" CQB11KMR, would order from internet dealer. It's a BCM, enough said? Any pros/cons from 11.5" to 10.3" for a mostly outdoor range gun?

Suppressor for above weapon:

-Go 5.56 dedicated? It will most likely stay on the above weapon at all times. There is a tiny sliver of me that thinks a 300 upper could happen after hearing a suppressed 300 in person. Pony up and get a suppressor that would cover both, I am wavering.

-Stay within the main offerings of Surefire, AAC, etc? There are a few Sig Sauers in stock locally although I have not heard much on here about them.

-Is there a standout no brainer that is just the one to get?

.22lr suppressor for S&W15-22:

-For backyard plinking. Will not get a lot of use, will stay on the rifle 100% of the time, no pistols. Looks like I will be fine with any of the offerings from Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, as long as I clean it regularly. Good to go?

Thank you for any insight or guidance you may provide, I appreciate the learning and space to put my thoughts into words.

-J.

Eurodriver
12-31-16, 11:14
J,

What a thoughtful post. Welcome to the board.

RE: 5.56 SBR. I think your desire to keep it suppressed mostly is going to eliminate the DD from your consideration. DD Mk18s are notoriously overgassed from everything I've read and my own experience. Your kids eyes will burn after just a few rounds at minimum even if you manage the stronger recoil impulse with a heavy buffer and spring. The BCM is an excellent choice.

I have found that a 5.56mm stays supersonic with an 11.5" and 55gr ammo just long enough to get decent hits around 550 yards. Our buddy and his 10.5" could not reach those same targets for all his effort. Full disclosure: I own both.

RE 5.56 Can: Go 5.56 dedicated. Everyone will balk and say they got a 30cal suppressor so they could use it on multiple guns but that is a half assed solution. All things being equal a 5.56 can will be lighter, smaller, and quieter than a 30cal can on a 5.56 rifle. It's a no brainer. When you move to 300BLK get a 30cal can with it. They're cheap these days.

Any of the big suppressor manufacturers put out good product these days. Most buy suppressors and look at dB reduction last as it's all very similar at the ear. What you want is durability and solid mounting. Surefire, SilencerCo, and AAC fit the bill. I steer clear of "new" products in the NFA a realm so I would not get the Sig models. Some folks enjoy being Guinea pigs though; maybe that's you?

Same suppressor advice applies for the 22LR although I would recommend getting a stainless steel model for easier cleaning.

TriggerFish
12-31-16, 11:19
When I moved to AZ from WA 15 years ago I wanted to get MGs and SMGs since it was not possible in Washington state. 30 years “wasted” in WA so I went nuts in gun friendly Arizona.
Skip ahead to 2016, and after 14 years of ownership, I sold my Colt M16A1 due to its increasing value and my not wanting to risk even a very small chance of a kaboom of the lower. But I wanted a high quality SBR replacement at a fraction of the 16s current value. I found a local dealer that had a Colt LE6933 factory SBR (11.5”). I wanted an LE6945CQB (10.3” monolithic) so I bought the upper from Ken Elmore (Specialized Armament) and sold the NIB LE6933 upper.
I use my SiCo Omega 7.62 (with flat 5.56 endcap) on the new Colt.
The REAL bonus was the advent of the Fostech ECHO and Franklin Armory BFS III trigger systems. Check the YouTube vids of these items… won’t be missing the 16 too much.
COLT LE6945CQB Factory M4 Carbine SBR:
http://i.imgur.com/avlm4ch.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3XbcVOQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Qly41H2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5OYGd8a.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zI8Nuj7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m5hwWpN.jpg

Furbyballer
12-31-16, 13:03
Hey J,

I would seriously look at a sionics 11.5in reduced gas port barrel. Designed from the ground up for suppressed use. Bcm is of course another great choice. I own a sons of liberty 11.5, sionics, and a bcm 11.5. All are awesome choices.

I would also advise a dedicated 556 can. Surefire 556 rc2 or silencerco specwar k. Both those cans will last for your kids.

As for a 22, the S&W is a good choice but i love a ruger 10/22. I really like the dead air mask as a 22 can.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jwknutson17
12-31-16, 14:21
If you are going to buy a factory SBR, my 3 recommendations are: KAC, LMT, or Colt. In that order. I don't know anyone who has regretted those factory SBRs. Ever. The DD MK18 is grossly over gassed. If they would work with you and get you a CRANE MK18 .069 to .071 gas port barrel then I would add that to the list.

For the suppressor, I would buy a Surefire SOCOM RC (2) or a KAC QDC. If your not using NV and go with a 11.5, consider a mini in either of those cans. This makes for a very handy setup. While some folks don't like the M42000, I have had excellent results on 10.x barrels and would also recommend that can for the price point on a MK18.

SeriousStudent
12-31-16, 16:23
Welcome to the forum.

I will also second the 11.5" Sionics reduced gas port barrel. They will pretty much build it how you like, and will install a rail of your choice. Just ship it to them. The NP3 coated BCG's they use (NOT nickel boron, or as I like to call them, bickel moron) make clean up a breeze on a suppressed SBR. Josh and crew will build you whatever you want at a good price.

I've also been a fan of BCM for eons, they will do much the same - you can spec out what you like and contact them. And their QC is excellent as well.

Like Furbyballer, I'm a fan of the Dead Air Mask .22 suppressor on a M&P 15/22, I have three of those cans.

And just to make the decision making even tougher, Grant at G&R Tactical has some of the sweet Colt barrels they made for the FBI, with a reasonable gas port:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SP401757

That would make a really nice upper with a dedicated can. I am seriously think about buying one with a Geissele rail and a Thunderbeast can. Because: reasons.

nimdabew
12-31-16, 17:05
If I could get one 5.56 can to cover my needs, I would get a Shaker K. I want the can to cut the report down to not-as-painful vs trying to get it as quiet as possible. I have one of the quietest cans out there, and the extra weight is the biggest downside to it.

Pappabear
12-31-16, 17:18
I bought a 6945 10.3 upper and dig it a lot as well. It's a stout fine shooter.

KalashniKEV
12-31-16, 18:24
I agree with most of the above on the platform and the centerfire silencer, but just to be a contrarian, I would point out that the Omega with a 5.56 end cap is quieter than a lot of 5.56 cans, and you can do a magic trick and turn it into a .30 silencer when you want.

Also, it's cool that you know what you want, but consider doing the whole thing in .300 BLK straight from the jump. When you hear it, you will know why. Performance will be better, and that will make you happier.

.22lr suppressor for S&W15-22:

-For backyard plinking. Will not get a lot of use, will stay on the rifle 100% of the time, no pistols. Looks like I will be fine with any of the offerings from Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, as long as I clean it regularly. Good to go?

Don't forget the Spectre II, which is probably the best .22 suppressor on the market today in terms of durability and FRP. The thing is a tank.

Also there is the Oculus that just dropped a few hours ago and that has my attention now. I like the convertible feature in my Revolution 9, and if the full size config is competitive with the Spectre II, then that would definitely place it at the top of the heap.

I demand a lot of utility out of my gear... and probably will continue to feel the same way about multi-cal cans and convertible cans even IF HPA becomes a thing, passes, and is written into law.

CPM
12-31-16, 19:47
Like Kev, I advocate the Omega and Spectre 2. They are the two cans I bought and I did a LOT of research. I asked a good friend who has more cans than guns what he thought and he said if the Omega was available when he started buying cans he'd have multiples. It's almost as small as a 5.56 can, just as quiet, and you can shoot 30 cal from it... C'mon.

I like my Spectre 2. It's quiet as well.

SeriousStudent
12-31-16, 21:59
A Spectre II was my first .22 can. Definitely agree with KalashniKEV about the first round pop. It's the one that stays on a .22 bolt gun for a very quiet rodent removal.

Eurodriver
01-01-17, 09:42
The SilencerCo Omega is $1,100. Plus another $75 for a second end cap. $1,375 all in.

An AAC 556SD is $415 and an SDN6 is about $630. You get two muzzle devices and with tax stamps you come in at $1,245. You now have two suppressors and can use them simultaneously on two rifles for less money.

Or you could buy two Omegas for $2,400 - which is probably what I'd do but most people aren't me.

jstalford
01-01-17, 09:48
Omega is closer to to $800 street price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
01-01-17, 09:50
I just saw that at capital armory. Pretty good.

I need more guns so I can get more cans. :)

jstalford
01-01-17, 09:51
Lol...same. If HPA passes my wallet will be empty.

KalashniKEV
01-01-17, 10:25
An AAC 556SD is $415 and an SDN6 is about $630. You get two muzzle devices and with tax stamps you come in at $1,245.

Holy crap... is AAC still in business???

Anyway, you can buy a Model 1 Sales kit and a Springfield XD for what a BCM rifle costs... who cares?

Two junk cans < one good can.

Also I have the 5.56 cap, but I've been shooting it with the .30 for a while on my 5.56 guns... and there's nothing wrong with just running the anchor brake either.

A quick google shows the 556SD metering at an average 133.0 and the Omega metering at 130.1 on the Silencershop website.

Rayrevolver
01-01-17, 10:58
Omega is closer to to $800 street price.

$779 is the best price I have seen for the Omega 30.

Man, if HPA passes I will work towards all long guns with cans and all pistols with threaded barrels. I really don't shoot my "loud" uppers anymore. I want a light direct thread 5.56 can next (if HPA passes) and will look to something like the Spartan 3.

Eurodriver
01-01-17, 11:19
Holy crap... is AAC still in business???

Anyway, you can buy a Model 1 Sales kit and a Springfield XD for what a BCM rifle costs... who cares?

Two junk cans < one good can.

Also I have the 5.56 cap, but I've been shooting it with the .30 for a while on my 5.56 guns... and there's nothing wrong with just running the anchor brake either.

A quick google shows the 556SD metering at an average 133.0 and the Omega metering at 130.1 on the Silencershop website.

Don't act like you're oblivious to the fact that recommending the best on M4C usually falls on deaf ears and they end up buying the model 1 sales kit rifle anyway.

ETA: HPA is never going to pass. - You heard it here first.

Furbyballer
01-01-17, 11:23
My omega probably only has 300 rounds through it and it already has a nice healthy discoloration of a used can haha. The omega is awesome, but super hardy it is not. If weight and decibel readings are what you want, the omega is a hard can to beat for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatrioticDisorder
01-01-17, 11:40
ETA: HPA is never going to pass guys.

Trump was never going to be the 45th POTUS either.

OP, I wouldn't cheap out with a can but at the end of the day it's just a muffler. SiCo Specwar K is damn hard to beat when you factor in everything, low price point (mount including, always factor that into the budget), good (albeit not cutting edge) mounting system, good durability, good performance, good length and damn good weight.

I own 2 Surefire SOCOM RCs & 2 Minis, 1 SiCo Specwar K, 1 Saker K and 1 Saker 762. If I could go back in time I'd probably save myself some money and buy a handful of Specwar Ks and skip the Saker K & SOCOMs. Not that the others aren't good cans (or perhaps better cans), it's just that the Specwar K is probably the best bang for your buck can the same way BCM is widely considered the best bang for your buck AR-15.

Eurodriver
01-01-17, 11:44
Trump was never going to be the 45th POTUS either.

I'll give you $100 if it passes before Jan 1, 2020. That's how confident I am it won't.

Willing to wager anything on your end? It's just realistic bro - Trump isn't going to sign a law that the media will say "put evil silencers in the hands of everyone" etc etc.

Saying one will wait for HPA to pass is similar to the idiots who "Wait for SHOT" every year. Poor suckers are still waiting on Hodge Defense rifles and where is that TNVC TAPS switch?

KalashniKEV
01-01-17, 11:45
Don't act like you're oblivious to the fact that recommending the best on M4C usually falls on deaf ears and they end up buying the model 1 sales kit rifle anyway.

I don't think that's true.

Maybe on TOS, but we usually have more intelligent posts here- by people who at least know something about weapons.

Oh... look... we're in one-of-those-posts!

ETA: HPA is never going to pass. - You heard it here first.

...and Trump's never going to win. BREXIT will never happen. Colombia will surrender to FARC.

Anyway, all I really need to be happy is to get the wait time on all ATF forms down to three days.

If HPA passes, once everyone goes can-crazy and buys up everything in sight, we'll just have more drunk people shooting (quietly) in their backyards and killing their neighbors... and then it will go away.

My point was, even if there were some national holiday where once a year you could buy a silencer over the counter, I wouldn't waste my money on cheap, crap cans from companies that are going out of business.

My omega probably only has 300 rounds through it and it already has a nice healthy discoloration of a used can haha. The omega is awesome, but super hardy it is not.

Have you seen much degradation in performance? Are you basing this on the observed... color?

For a minute, I was considering the Saker762 for the supposed increased durability, but in reality, to even realize the difference between the two, you would have to get stupid, wreck barrels, and trash your can.

Yee-haw. I guess...

PatrioticDisorder
01-01-17, 11:49
I'll give you $100 if it passes before Jan 1, 2020. That's how confident I am it won't.

Willing to wager anything on your end? It's just realistic bro - Trump isn't going to sign a law that the media will say "put evil silencers in the hands of everyone" etc etc.

Saying one will wait for HPA to pass is similar to the idiots who "Wait for SHOT" every year. Poor suckers are still waiting on Hodge Defense rifles and where is that TNVC TAPS switch?

https://youtu.be/0vlu2G5UkXk

PatrioticDisorder
01-01-17, 11:54
Perhaps I'm crazy and not to hijack this thread, once HPA passes (and I'd love it to pass taking SBR's off NFA but that is probably wishful thinking on my part) I see OTC integrally suppressed handguns becoming a common thing and perhaps integrally suppressed handguns may one day become standard issue for LEO's.

Eurodriver
01-01-17, 12:03
I wouldn't buy an AAC 51T can either. I've said as much in many other threads (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?191729-Picking-the-right-can), but while I was under the impression of the Omega costing $300 more than it can be found for it seemed like a good deal for the OP who just wants to shoot with his sons. Why do you keep bringing it up Kev? What can I say to make you feel like you've won? You obviously need that.

jstalford
01-01-17, 12:05
I'm not banking on it passing but def not buying anything till it either does or it dies. I have everything I need for now. But a couple more would be nice.

KalashniKEV
01-01-17, 12:11
I see OTC integrally suppressed handguns becoming a common thing and perhaps integrally suppressed handguns may one day become standard issue for LEO's.

Never going to happen - you heard it here first.

The only way to get a holsterable (~10" OAL?) pistol hearing safe is to port it in front of the chamber like the Maxim 9... and once you strip that velocity you're basically removing the lethality of a pistol.

You might as well be paintballing, bro...

You could make a large frame G26 with a compact 9mm can on it, but that would be over 13" long.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Pistols/20170101_130449_zpssmp8i7xw.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Pistols/20170101_130449_zpssmp8i7xw.jpg.html)

The whole "workman's comp" thing by silencer enthusiasts is silly. OK, we get it. You want a silencer. You probably want NODs and thermals too, right?

PatrioticDisorder
01-01-17, 12:15
Never going to happen - you heard it here first.

The only way to get a holsterable (~10" OAL?) pistol hearing safe is to port it in front of the chamber like the Maxim 9... and once you strip that velocity you're basically removing the lethality of a pistol.

You might as well be paintballing, bro...

You could make a large frame G26 with a compact 9mm can on it, but that would be over 13" long.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Pistols/20170101_130449_zpssmp8i7xw.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Pistols/20170101_130449_zpssmp8i7xw.jpg.html)

The whole "workman's comp" thing by silencer enthusiasts is silly. OK, we get it. You want a silencer. You probably want NODs and thermals too, right?

What is the barrel length of the Maxim? Has anyone checked muzzle velocities from one or is the Maxim simply a "range toy", seems silly SiCo would spend the resources to produce an integrally suppressed handgun that isn't practical.

KalashniKEV
01-01-17, 12:27
What is the barrel length of the Maxim?

Effectively, 0", or since we measure from the bolt face, the length of a 9mm chamber.

Has anyone checked muzzle velocities from one or is the Maxim simply a "range toy", seems silly SiCo would spend the resources to produce an integrally suppressed handgun that isn't practical.

It's a publicity stunt made to fool people without knowledge of the topic- essentially the exact-same-thing as the Amazon drone delivery stunt. It gets people talking.

What kind of magic did you think was going on in there?

Assume that the minimum barrel length you would want... for a service pistol... to develop the required velocity to neutralize a threat... is what?

Some old-schoolers would say 5"

Let's say it's 3.4" just to be silly... one or two baffles in front of the muzzle is going to make that hearing safe? Nope.

So the remaining options are loading extreme-low-velocity stuff, or porting the barrel ahead of the chamber to achieve extreme low velocities.

So who, exactly is asking for a service pistol with extreme low velocities, that will get you shot a couple times while whipping that big honker out? Clearing leather on a ~10" gun takes time.

Oh... but it's quiet? Who cares? Is the guy across the room shooting back at you supposed to be set on hearing-safe/ stun-mode too???

SeriousStudent
01-01-17, 12:33
Let's stick to the OP's purpose, and not vanish down any rabbit holes.

We have other threads to discuss HPA.

Eurodriver
01-01-17, 12:34
Kev you didn't answer my question.

I'm curious to see what the OPs thoughts are before any more advice can really be mentioned. The Omega is a great can.

KalashniKEV
01-01-17, 12:41
Let's stick to the OP's purpose, and not vanish down any rabbit holes.

We have other threads to discuss HPA.

Sorry about that... and I hate it when people do that!

Anyway I think the rifle can thing is discussed, as for the rimfire, simple answer is Spectre II, but this Rugged Oculus really has my interest- especially if it posts good numbers in the K-config.

Kev you didn't answer my question.

I missed it, what is your question?

SeriousStudent
01-01-17, 13:25
I'll have to look into the Oculus. I need one more .22 can. I have a Rugged Razor on a 300 BLK, and have been very pleased with it.

punkey71
01-01-17, 14:02
I'll have to look into the Oculus. I need one more .22 can. I have a Rugged Razor on a 300 BLK, and have been very pleased with it.

Give a hard look at the TBAC Takedown 22.

I already have a Spectre II and Dead Air Mask. My local can dealer and I were shooting side by side on 22/45s with CCI SV they sound so close it's incredible. A slight nod to the Mask. The Spectre was ahead of its time. It's pretty amazing and getting cheaper as well. Its the Honda Civic of 22 cans.

Back to the TBAC Takedown. I'm waiting on one since June but my dealer has his demo model already. He says it's quieter than the TBAC 22-L which is amazing. I've shot his 22-L and it sounded as good or better than every other can he had out - including the Mask. If he says the Takedown 22 sounds better - I'm impressed.

At the end of the day nearly all 22 cans are pretty damn good. We're really nitpicking - but we all want the best/newest/latest/greatest, I get it.

As for rifle cans, you guys have covered a lot.

Personally, I like dedicated K 5.56 cans on my SBRs. SBRs are loud no matter what. I'll take the weight savings and decreased back pressure of K cans. I've got the Griffin M4SDK and I'm pleased with it but the Specwar K would be my choice due to Griffins owners being....odd.

Sandman S and L for me as well. They'll go on a 308 AR and 6.5CM bolt gun once approved. I chose them based on the mount and tone when demo-ing a bunch of cans with my dealer.

Having he ability to shoot cans before purchase is a HUGE benefit.

Lots of great options out there.

snakebit
01-01-17, 20:45
Thank you all for the replies and Happy New Year.

I am grateful for the detail of feedback and the quality of members that chimed in. It was a pleasure to read through today.

It is a bummer the DD MK18 is overgassed, it looks and feels great and I expected it to be a solid build from DD. I had read a couple items of gas port size concerns, you all backing that up makes it a no go. I want something turn-key for the SBR, I can fiddle with my other rifles, I want this one to run 100%.

I will look at getting a BCM 11.5" complete rifle ordered from a reputable dealer that has them in stock. The SIONICS content is interesting, I may give that another day of checking out.

Omega will be the can, I'll go with the big one, just because, and if that 300 upper makes it to my house someday.

Spectre II will go on the 15-22. I appreciate the 10-22 comment, we have a couple of those in the stable, none threaded, and the 15-22 looks like it will be a blast with a can in the yard. If it was just me I'd probably land a high dollar bolt action .22lr to mess around with a can, sitting in the rocking chair on the porch.

Again many thanks, I will get the ball rolling on procurement and update the thread as items show up next fall.

Back to my regularly scheduled reading.

J.

Pappabear
01-01-17, 21:02
I bought a DD 10.3 barrel. It's not over gassed but I keep hearing stories of the full build guns being over bored.

Lotta good options.

PB

jpmuscle
01-01-17, 21:31
I bought a DD 10.3 barrel. It's not over gassed but I keep hearing stories of the full build guns being over bored.

Lotta good options.

PB
What was the port size?

Pappabear
01-02-17, 11:26
What was the port size?

I never measured it. But I've run over gassed guns before. This gun feels great. No over pressure signs.

I wish most of my SBR's had smaller ports when I run Suppressors but this is no worse than my RGP SIONICS.

I didn't buy the full gun. Only the barrel I wonder if that matters.

PB

SonOfAGunn
01-02-17, 20:45

Lotta good options.

PB

I bought a MK18 factory gun and didn't know it was overgassed till I read it here. I built my 11.5" and used a BCM barrel after reading about the gas problem. It's just as gassy as the MK18. The MK18's ejection is different though, and I think that's the bigger complaint other than gas to face. One thing I can say about my MK18, V5, and sbr build is that they've never given me a malfunction. I shoot the SBR's and rifles about twice a month, I have to justify my gun club membership. OP, I think the MK18 is a fantastic rifle and is fun to shoot. These guys give great info, and imo, the ejection pattern is the "problem" with the MK18. Mine ejects at 330 unsuppressed and damn near 130 suppressed. In my experience, all DI ar15's will bring tears to the eyes if shot suppressed in quick enough succession.

I'm running a Surefire 556 RC2 currently and plan on adding a Rugged Surge for a 30cal suppressor. No problems at all with the surefire, sounds great, more compact than a 30cal can, and mounts up SOLID. I own a Dead Air Mask (.22) and it brings smiles when friends shoot using it. It's one of the shorter .22 cans, it's made of titanium (tube) and stainless steel (baffles and end caps), awesome. I knew after taking it home and shooting it there would be no need to buy another .22 can until those guys at Rugged made the Oculus. That one should be in the running for you. A modular .22 can made of all Stainless?!

You're in a great place, it is FUN shopping for this stuff!!

jpmuscle
01-03-17, 01:11
I bought a MK18 factory gun and didn't know it was overgassed till I read it here. I built my 11.5" and used a BCM barrel after reading about the gas problem. It's just as gassy as the MK18. The MK18's ejection is different though, and I think that's the bigger complaint other than gas to face. One thing I can say about my MK18, V5, and sbr build is that they've never given me a malfunction. I shoot the SBR's and rifles about twice a month, I have to justify my gun club membership. OP, I think the MK18 is a fantastic rifle and is fun to shoot. These guys give great info, and imo, the ejection pattern is the "problem" with the MK18. Mine ejects at 330 unsuppressed and damn near 130 suppressed. In my experience, all DI ar15's will bring tears to the eyes if shot suppressed in quick enough succession.

I'm running a Surefire 556 RC2 currently and plan on adding a Rugged Surge for a 30cal suppressor. No problems at all with the surefire, sounds great, more compact than a 30cal can, and mounts up SOLID. I own a Dead Air Mask (.22) and it brings smiles when friends shoot using it. It's one of the shorter .22 cans, it's made of titanium (tube) and stainless steel (baffles and end caps), awesome. I knew after taking it home and shooting it there would be no need to buy another .22 can until those guys at Rugged made the Oculus. That one should be in the running for you. A modular .22 can made of all Stainless?!

You're in a great place, it is FUN shopping for this stuff!!
Sonofagun,

The BRT port insert is what you seek. Even with the pinned GB on your mk18 it's an easy install. .060 or. 062 if your dedicated suppressed would work well from my research.

I have a 060 port for one of my mk18s. Just haven't installed it yet.

SonOfAGunn
01-03-17, 19:47
Sonofagun,

The BRT port insert is what you seek. Even with the pinned GB on your mk18 it's an easy install. .060 or. 062 if your dedicated suppressed would work well from my research.

I have a 060 port for one of my mk18s. Just haven't installed it yet.

Looks interesting! I've held off getting a "Govnah" since I haven't run into any real problems. I'm glad to see that there are alternatives if I choose to make a change for the gas block.

Thanks for the info!