PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon HD Questiom

ejewels
12-31-16, 14:24
Hey Guys,

I just got a new set of HDs with orange outline and like them so far. I noticed the front sights orange outline doesn't go right to the top of the sight blade. There's a tiny 1mm gap from the top of the sight and the orange outline. I looked at other HD pics and they all seem to be that way. So my question is, if people aim with the top of the sight blade, shouldn't the top of the orange outline be right at the top of the sight as well without the small gap?

Seems this would make you shoot high, especially if one used the even lower-on-the-sight tritium dot.

C4IGrant
12-31-16, 14:27
When shooting for precision, you do not use the orange.

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
12-31-16, 15:11
HD sights are combat sights. Not precision. I have the set of Orange on my 21 and it hits where it needs to but also tends to be a bit bigger than may be necessary. At 25 yards aiming COM it is negligible, I have found.

I will say that while Orange is reminiscent of the old S&W ramp sights; Had I the money to do it over again I would have gotten the much poppier, louder yellowish color.

Me, I just aim POA/POI.

If you are doing PPC, maybe you want a skinny fibre optic or thin blade and just smoke it?

JMO
YMMV

ejewels
12-31-16, 15:27
Thanks guys. So it's normal and if you want precision you use the top of the blade? It's my carry pistol so I wanted the HDs. I guess I'm just confused as to why they wouldn't just move the circle and tritium dot as high as possible on the front sight.

Pappabear
12-31-16, 17:01
You need to line the top of the sights level across and / or the center of the dots straight across.

I don't know what your looking at but follow one of those two approaches.

Good luck

PB

ejewels
12-31-16, 19:06
Thanks. I was just wondering why people don't put the dots at the very tip of the blade

ImBroke
12-31-16, 19:22
Thanks. I was just wondering why people don't put the dots at the very tip of the blade

B/c the dots were put on sights to be used if you couldn't see the straight edges due to lighting or the color of the target. It's easier for the eye to tell when straight edges are misaligned than it is to tell when round ones are misaligned.

ejewels
01-01-17, 08:04
B/c the dots were put on sights to be used if you couldn't see the straight edges due to lighting or the color of the target. It's easier for the eye to tell when straight edges are misaligned than it is to tell when round ones are misaligned.
But this then changes the POI. Especially at distance. But I guess you're not shooting for accuracy at night or in combat

C4IGrant
01-01-17, 08:53
Thanks guys. So it's normal and if you want precision you use the top of the blade? It's my carry pistol so I wanted the HDs. I guess I'm just confused as to why they wouldn't just move the circle and tritium dot as high as possible on the front sight.

I am going to blow your mind and tell you that you don't need tritium and or a big orange dot on a defensive pistol.

C4

ST911
01-01-17, 09:26
Whether you shoot the front dot, all three dots, the edges, or other methods depends on the shooting problem. There is a place for all. There is also a responsibility to know the POI deviations for each, with each load you're shooting.

This is a largely academic issue though, as the shooting ability and deliberate work required to learn this will not be undertaken by most.

Fuzzy-Reticle
01-01-17, 09:29
HDs are good sites in my experience but not ideal for precision. Mission drives the gear train. So it depends on what your application is. Most sites are a compromise to one degree or another. The end user needs choose what they want to accomplish and go from there. YMMV. Shoot safe.

MStarmer
01-01-17, 13:38
For accuracy work equal height, equal light and use the HD's like normal. Should be good out to 25yds, at least they are for the guns I have them on. I don't much opportunity to shoot further than that. That big orange dot is for the up close and personal OH S**T live saving moments where you put the dot on the threat and press.

Shoot from 0 to whatever distance you're comfortable with and see your differences in poa/poi.

556BlackRifle
01-01-17, 15:20
I have a set of yellow ones and really like them. The yellow lum forms a complete circle with no breaks if that's what you're asking about.

Like Grant was alluding to, it doesn't make much difference as most gunfights are at close range and point shooting skills can be the difference between life and death.

Firefly
01-01-17, 20:47
I have a set of yellow ones and really like them. The yellow lum forms a complete circle with no breaks if that's what you're asking about.

Like Grant was alluding to, it doesn't make much difference as most gunfights are at close range and point shooting skills can be the difference between life and death.

This.

You'll get more out of Billy drills at pistol range than gadgets.

Most In Line shootings are usually 3 yards or less.

Voodoo_Man
01-01-17, 21:09
There are some people who can use HDS with high precision. They are also the same people who can use the side as an index point and get similar results.

I am not that person, HDs, while very fast on close up shooting were not very accurate for me in the long gun and I had to go back to Ameriglos sights, specifically the Defoor sights which offer me a more POA/POI sight picture.

ejewels
01-02-17, 22:22

Like Grant was alluding to, it doesn't make much difference as most gunfights are at close range and point shooting skills can be the difference between life and death.not sure what you mean... yellow lum forms a complete circle?

I get the concept behind the HDs and how they should be used and all... however, I was just asking purely from an engineering perspective or whoever designed them. Wouldn't you want to place the dot at the very tips of the irons to enhance accuracy when using the tritium dots? That way you wouldn't have to adjust your POA for POI.

MegademiC
01-03-17, 05:08
I think that would leave the circle open to damage.

Fwiw, my ameriglo pros dots are poa out to about 10yds, and top of blade poa at 25

556BlackRifle
01-03-17, 10:13
not sure what you mean... yellow lum forms a complete circle?

I get the concept behind the HDs and how they should be used and all... however, I was just asking purely from an engineering perspective or whoever designed them. Wouldn't you want to place the dot at the very tips of the irons to enhance accuracy when using the tritium dots? That way you wouldn't have to adjust your POA for POI.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. Here's a picture of my front sight. There is a gap between the top of the luminescent ring and the top of the sight but no gaps within the ring.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Mike16610/FSSideView.jpg

Hey Guys,

I just got a new set of HDs with orange outline and like them so far. I noticed the front sights orange outline doesn't go right to the top of the sight blade. There's a tiny 1mm gap from the top of the sight and the orange outline. I looked at other HD pics and they all seem to be that way. So my question is, if people aim with the top of the sight blade, shouldn't the top of the orange outline be right at the top of the sight as well without the small gap?

Seems this would make you shoot high, especially if one used the even lower-on-the-sight tritium dot.

C4IGrant
01-03-17, 10:48
This thread comes to mind when talking about sights and their importance....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?190718-Importance-of-sights

C4

M4arc
01-08-17, 15:30
I am going to blow your mind and tell you that you don't need tritium and or a big orange dot on a defensive pistol.

C4

Maybe not but the older my eyes get the more I appreciate the big orange dot :D

Texaspoff
01-09-17, 01:05
I agree completely about different sights for different applications. I have all my duty weapons set up with HD's, originally orange, but have been transitioning to the yellow. I find the yellow works better for my aging eyes. While the HDs work very well for fast combat distances, reaching out accuracy takes a bit more work. Trijicon is actually releasing an upgraded version of the HD's, called the XR. It is essentially the same sights, but they have rounded the corners on the rear a bit and the front sight will be thinner I believe 122 or something close compared to the current model which is a 144. This should lend itself to a bit better accuracy at distances. They should be available just after Shot Show according to my LE rep.

TXPO

TXPO

C4IGrant
01-09-17, 12:46
Maybe not but the older my eyes get the more I appreciate the big orange dot :D

LOL, you don't have old eyes!

C4

WickedWillis
01-09-17, 13:05
I agree completely about different sights for different applications. I have all my duty weapons set up with HD's, originally orange, but have been transitioning to the yellow. I find the yellow works better for my aging eyes. While the HDs work very well for fast combat distances, reaching out accuracy takes a bit more work. Trijicon is actually releasing an upgraded version of the HD's, called the XR. It is essentially the same sights, but they have rounded the corners on the rear a bit and the front sight will be thinner I believe 122 or something close compared to the current model which is a 144. This should lend itself to a bit better accuracy at distances. They should be available just after Shot Show according to my LE rep.

TXPO

TXPO

If they are releasing them for the VP9/P30 series I will lose my mind. I have HD's on all my Glocks, but I hate the sharp rear for carry. Everything is a compromise.

EDIT: Just confirmed through Google-fu that they are launching for several makes and models https://www.krollcorp.com/products/view/5FA9D928-B9F5-4C24-B068-D2044F8C88A7

Texaspoff
01-09-17, 14:06
If they are releasing them for the VP9/P30 series I will lose my mind. I have HD's on all my Glocks, but I hate the sharp rear for carry. Everything is a compromise.

EDIT: Just confirmed through Google-fu that they are launching for several makes and models https://www.krollcorp.com/products/view/5FA9D928-B9F5-4C24-B068-D2044F8C88A7

It doesn't surprise me that they are releasing that many models of it since the regular HD line has been so popular. Hopefully they will have a version for my P10 soon...:)

TXPO

Mjolnir
01-12-17, 15:29

TXPO

TXPO

Now THAT is interesting!

Thanks!