PDA

View Full Version : Fixing what ain't broken.

gyro_cfi
01-04-17, 15:59
I'm that guy, the one that wants to be sure it works 100% of the time.

What can I do to increase the reliability of my 99.99% reliable Stag Arms 2T AR? I've replaced BCG with NiB m16 bolt and charging handle with BCM medium. I use GI steel mags with upgraded followers.

Thinking of upgrading extractor spring with BCM upgrade kit. Any other thoughts, other than seek help?

Norman
01-04-17, 16:25
It’s always a good idea to have spare parts on hand but I would just shoot it as is until something breaks. If you want a useful up-grade for something that isn’t broke, get a better trigger.

MegademiC
01-04-17, 16:32
Check the staking on gas keys and re.

Other than that, shoot it till it breaks or wears out.

fallenromeo
01-04-17, 16:32
What BCG did you get? It just being NiB may not be an upgrade depending on who made it and if it is in spec. For example, swapping a BCM phosphate BCG for a spikes NiB BCG would not be an upgrade.

Norman had the best idea with the trigger, get a Geissele SSA. Another upgrade would be to swap the carbine RE for a Vltor A5.

gyro_cfi
01-04-17, 16:36
What BCG did you get? It just being NiB may not be an upgrade depending on who made it and if it is in spec. For example, swapping a BCM phosphate BCG for a spikes NiB BCG would not be an upgrade.

Norman had the best idea with the trigger, get a Geissele SSA. Another upgrade would be to swap the carbine RE for a Vltor A5.
It was made by Colt.

fallenromeo
01-04-17, 16:49
It was made by Colt.

I was unaware that Colt made a NiB BCG. But that is neither here nor there. I think most would say that Colt would be considered an upgrade over Stag.

Cane55
01-04-17, 17:39
The BCM extra power extractor springs is a GREAT reliability enhancement. Not only do they aid in extraction but they also last much longer since they are made of chrome silicon. Remember to keep your BCG generously lubricated too (even if you use nickel boron you should still use generous lubrication). I personally like Slip2000 EWL products and TW25B.

gyro_cfi
01-04-17, 17:45
I was unaware that Colt made a NiB BCG. But that is neither here nor there. I think most would say that Colt would be considered an upgrade over Stag.
Now you got me wondering. My son bought it for me. I'll verify tonight by checking for markings, if any.

Iraqgunz
01-04-17, 18:12
Colt doesn't make NiB BCGs.

P2000
01-04-17, 22:05
What buffer do you have? I'd buy an h2 or h3. And make sure your spring is at least 10 1/16" long.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

gyro_cfi
01-04-17, 22:19
Not a single marking on the bolt or bolt carrier. Will ask my son where he got it tomorrow.

Iraqgunz
01-05-17, 02:45
Most all of the Stags I have seen did not have H buffers, had larger than normal gas ports .067-.070, had questionable carrier key stakings and no castle nut/endplate stakings as I recall.

odugrad
01-05-17, 06:37
It's not a bad idea to replace certain parts to make things more reliable. But learning how to clear malfunctions is critical, that way you can keep your gun going 100% of the time.

And have spare parts on hand in the event you need to replace something.

Tigereye
01-05-17, 06:40
This link is in the "Knowledge Based Threads" listed at the top of this forum. I haven't read this in a long time, but you may find it helpful.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7376-quot-Oh-No!-I-bought-a-BM-RRA-Stag-before-I-knew-better!-quot

zackmars
01-05-17, 08:17
Replace the BCG with a REAL colt, or a bcm or DD

Swap the Reciever Extension with an A5

USGI mags are aluminum, not steel, stay away from steel