PDA

View Full Version : Centurion Rail

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 07:29
Are the Centurion Arms wrap around rails free floating? Or am I better off getting a pinned low profile block and gettin a free floating Daniel defense rail

RobertTheTexan
01-05-17, 07:36
You mean their FSP rails? The C4 I have is free float as their CMR rails are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 09:25
Yes the FSP rail it says it's free float but a two piece, and bolts into the stock barrel nut. Seems too have good reviews though. Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've been out of this stuff for awhile tryin too get caught back up lol

cougar_guy04
01-05-17, 10:15
Yes, the Centurion C4 rails are free floating. I've got one and I love it. Rock solid and easy to assemble.

RobertTheTexan
01-05-17, 11:04
Yes the FSP rail it says it's free float but a two piece, and bolts into the stock barrel nut. Seems too have good reviews though. Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've been out of this stuff for awhile tryin too get caught back up lol

It's not a dumb question at all. This is one of the reasons our forum exists. Rails... So usually high quality rails will come with their own proprietary barrel nut. Rails from LaRue, Daniel Defense, Geissele, KAC and even Centurions CMR line will come with a proprietary barrel nut. But in this case the C4 uses a stock barrel nut. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, because the C4 rail is an excellent rail. I have a 12" C4 and locks extremely solid. Installation was a breeze. The rest of my rails are LaRue rails and an outstanding KAC URX 4. They are excellent quality rails and the C4 is right at home with them in terms of quality & durability. As you have seen the C4 is a quad rail so you will need to use picatinny type mounts for your weapon mounted light bbbor forward grip. Daniel Defense has a rail line with the FSP cut-out, but they are about twice the C4 price.
You really can't go wrong with the C4.

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 11:05
I'm between the C4 cut out or the Daniel defense cut out carbine extension. Either way I'm tired of that flimsy plastic one that's on it

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 11:07
Thanks for answering that, I was a little worried about not having a new barrel but with it was concerned it might be cheap.

Jormungandr
01-05-17, 11:16
I'm between the C4 cut out or the Daniel defense cut out carbine extension. Either way I'm tired of that flimsy plastic one that's on it

That's the same debate I was having but ended up with the C4 cutout because of being able to use the standard barrel nut. Lanbo's has them in stock for $210 + shipping and tax if you're in TX

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 11:18
That's a heck of a deal but I'm not in Texas, just Ohio where it's cold.

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 11:19
A low profile gas block and longer hand guard would be slick though but I don't wanna pay $500 lol

MegademiC
01-05-17, 12:11

You can order online.

Where are you getting $500? You can shave the fsb and put any length rail you want if you so desire.

Uprange41
01-05-17, 12:14
What are you hoping to accomplish with a new handguard?

While DD and Centurion are among the best quad rails around, there are other options as well.

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 13:27
Well I like the looks of the quadrails the best but I'm hoping for better accuracy with a free float and more attachment options

jstalford
01-05-17, 14:01

Better for you to not be in texas...he just mean only plus tax if you're in texas. You can still buy the rail in OH ;)

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 14:12
Whoops I misunderstood then, I think I'm gonna get the C4 I like the cut out style and easy assembly is a plus I don't need anything crazy for what I'm gonna be doin

jstalford
01-05-17, 14:13
All my current AR have C4 and I'm happy FWIW.

titsonritz
01-05-17, 15:16
I'm between the C4 cut out or the Daniel defense cut out carbine extension.

Simple, it boils down to whether you wish to avoid removing and replacing or reinstalling the barrel nut, FSP and muzzle device, if you aren't willing to that work than get the C4.

Shrillar67
01-05-17, 17:04
I think the C4 will be the better way too go in my case, just want a good rail easy to install and durable

RobertTheTexan
01-05-17, 17:26
There you have it. Case closed. :)

Dionysusigma
01-05-17, 19:31
Waffled for almost a year on which rail to put on a 6720, during which I read, researched, and held every option I possibly could. It now wears a C4 cutout.

RobertTheTexan
01-05-17, 19:46
Back when I was deciding what quad rail to run (LaRue vs Centurion) I made a post asking for people's opinions on quad rails within a certain budget. Every single M4Cer who had used a Centurion had nothing but high praise for it.. Even if they had decided to turn to the Dark Side and join the M-LOK Brigade.
You will like your C-4. Simple to install. Use an optic mount to make sure your upper and rail are plumb. You can get some Ergo ladders or LaRue Index clips or covers to soften the edges if you want and mark your mounting positions.

Shrillar67
01-06-17, 01:29
Well thank ya guys for the helpful info, it's for sure gonna wear the C4 cutout rail and I'll be proud of it. Can't wait too get it mounted with the forward grip and new optics and try it out. Probably gonna polish my feed ramps and trigger just for kicks as well

titsonritz
01-06-17, 10:11
Probably gonna polish my feed ramps and trigger just for kicks as well

Is it a 1911 or an AR?

jackblack73
01-06-17, 10:29
This might be the first time I've ever heard of someone polishing the feed ramps on an AR.

Coal Dragger
01-06-17, 11:12
Daniel Defense polishes feed ramps, they look pretty. Beyond that not sure they do much.

jstalford
01-06-17, 11:17
I think sionics does it too.

RobertTheTexan
01-06-17, 11:26
I don't know about polishing but I have a few that could probably use a little cleaning...

OP: are you using a milspec trigger? If you are on a budget and want something a little cleaning and lighter on the pull, take a look at ALG's ACT trigger. It has a standard milspec Spring (@6 lb I think) and a purple spring that's 4.5 lb pull). I believe they do a little polish and NiB treatment. It's a good trigger especially for the cost. Of course here are CMC, Geissele triggers that are more expensive but outstanding triggers. Before I'd polish one, I'd try an ACT.

Shrillar67
01-06-17, 14:37
I've actually read a lot about people polishing the feed ramps on ARs mine aren't that bad but I figure when I give it a good cleaning I'll polish them just for the heck of it.

Iraqgunz
01-06-17, 17:53
Polishing feedramps isn't unheard of. In fact, it is done by a few companies- SIONICS and BCM are just two of them. It's not just about polishing, it is for breaking any sharp edges and make feeding smoother.

This might be the first time I've ever heard of someone polishing the feed ramps on an AR.

Shrillar67
01-06-17, 22:36
They say it makes a big difference that they feed a lot smoother and quicker. And with the trigger I thought about smoothing it bc it's supposedly supposed to make it break better and I like doin things myself.

Coal Dragger
01-06-17, 22:50
Leave the trigger alone. You are far more likely to compromise the safety values of the trigger than you are to improve it. There are a lot of good aftermarket triggers available for a reason.

twm134
01-06-17, 23:04
Leave the trigger alone. You are far more likely to compromise the safety values of the trigger than you are to improve it. There are a lot of good aftermarket triggers available for a reason.

This is good advice. The trigger and hammer surfaces are treated and shaped precisely for safety and performance. If you want to improve on that performance get a good after market trigger from Geissele.

Amicus
01-06-17, 23:44
This is good advice. The trigger and hammer surfaces are treated and shaped precisely for safety and performance. If you want to improve on that performance get a good after market trigger from Geissele.

+1. If you search about you may find a few stories on problems ensuing from altering trigger geometry. Also, surface hardening is compromised when you grind off the protective surface: the underlying material will wear much more quickly from friction. In other words, the lack of surface protection will allow the trigger to more rapidly transition to an unsafe condition. I have known three-gun and police competition shooters who have altered their triggers down to about one pound, but have to swap triggers frequently when they tend to get too dangerous for even that limited use. This is not for the unschooled. Certainly, I won't do it.

As for the C4 rails, they are excellent. I prefer them to DD rails slightly, and I have Omega, Omega X, and Lite rails in my collection. If you want a quad rail, you really can't do better.

Shrillar67
01-08-17, 15:26
Quick question on ordering the rail do I take the 7inch or the carbine length? It's on a colt M4 stock guard measures 7 inch.

Jesse H
01-08-17, 16:28
Depends on if you want more rail space or not. The 7" will replace the stock handguards and the carbine will give you a bit more rail space under the FSP for your support hand. Or if you find one with the FSP cutout, it'll give you even more.

I have the FSP cutout on a 6920 and a plain 12" on a BCM with a low profile gas block. Very happy with both and I like the extra rail space to mount a light at 12:00.

Shrillar67
01-08-17, 17:39
It's the FSP cut out out I would like a little more room but don't want too remove the FSP. I'll get the 7 inch then, they have 7,9 and carbine, I figured it would be carbine at first bein that's what the rifle is.

pyrotechnic
01-08-17, 18:02
Sounds like the C4 carbine cutout rail is the one you want. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/ar-15-m16-c4-carbine-cutout-rail-system-prod73153.aspx

Shrillar67
01-08-17, 18:16
Yea it is the site I was on didn't have the measurements I double checked on Centurions site they gave all the measurements thankfully. I bought the rail, BCM gunfighter vertical grip, Leupold AR mod 1 1.5x4 fire dot sight and the base with it but eventually want an American defense base. Quite a bit of money ��

Cold/Bore
01-08-17, 19:18
I really like the C4 rail and am thinking about getting a Midlength cutout, but any idea if Centurion will be making an MLok version?

RobertTheTexan
01-08-17, 22:25
Yea it is the site I was on didn't have the measurements I double checked on Centurions site they gave all the measurements thankfully. I bought the rail, BCM gunfighter vertical grip, Leupold AR mod 1 1.5x4 fire dot sight and the base with it but eventually want an American defense base. Quite a bit of money ��

Sounds like you're on your way to a couple of nice improvements in your AR. What did you decide to do with your trigger?

Shrillar67
01-08-17, 22:48
Decided too leave it alone for now, I'll polish the feed ramps but leave the rest alone. Out side a new trigger what else could I look into too improve accuracy and performance

Amicus
01-08-17, 23:10
Decided too leave it alone for now, I'll polish the feed ramps but leave the rest alone. Out side a new trigger what else could I look into too improve accuracy and performance

I have liked the BCM Gunfighter or Rainier Raptor charging handles for FTF or double-feed drills, but the best answer (considering you will have a very good setup) is the same as for that old joke about getting to Carnegie Hall: Practice, practice, practice. Take your money, buy ammo, learn the carbine and skills to go with it.

RobertTheTexan
01-09-17, 02:48

Amicus makes a good point regarding ammo and training. Because all the grips and VH's and stunned and MD's won't see full potential of the firemen tale aren't there or they are flawed. You mentioned being out of the AR space for a while, so maybe getting some range time in and get your fundamentals tuned up and let that drive your next investment. I do believe there are some no-brainers, i.e. Getting rid of the A2 grip. Replacing the A2 birdcage, and I think charging handle can fall in that group. I never used a standard CH on any of my builds. There are two CH's that I use: AXTS Raptors like Amicus mentioned, but they aren't cheap, and a great little CH from a little known company called MechDefense. obviously the Raptor is a pretty safe buy, everyone knows of them and most people really like them, but the MechDefense CQB CH has worked well for me, they did an outstanding job of improving the CH. LaRue sells them. That could be viewed as bona fides. Is there a gun store you can go to and check it out a few configurations?
Also there is a section here on M4C just for training. Here's a link. Maybe there is something in your area.
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?141-MISC-Training-Course-Announcements-amp-AAR-s
IG (Iraqgunz) has a couple armorers courses coming up, there's a carbine course in AZ, check it out.
I have a couple of other suggestions but I'll shoot you a PM.

thopkins22
01-09-17, 06:09
The centurion rails are fantastic. The cutout ones are even better. Try to not use the space for the sake of using the space, the real benefit is allowing the same things that already fit on the rifle, while allowing you to get your hand further out for superior control.

The more I learned, and the more I shot(at single digit yardages all the way to trying to push the system to 1K) the less shit I have on my rifles.

Sighting system, be it irons, an optic, or both.

Sling.

White light.

A short vertical grip, if you absolutely must. They can be handy to drive against barricades and to help drive your thumb forward to activate your white light. The only real reason to actually hold it was if you had a large white light AND something bulky like a PEQ2 on a 7" rail and there literally wasn't space left.

Call it a day. Change the charging handle, grip, or stock as you will obviously and remember that there's not a damn thing wrong with what you're removing unless he A2 grip absolutely drives you bananas, but question anything else you think of putting on. And then still figure out how to talk yourself out of it. If you ever actually need something else, you'll know it before anyone on the internet does. You'll be a better shooter for keeping the rifle clean and functional.

Shrillar67
01-09-17, 09:27
Alright guys I appreciate the advice. I have been out of it for awhile and do need more range time. I due enjoy the gun a lot, the grip I can live with for now and I like my stock but I will replace it for the doomed B5 I need better cheek weld. Charging handle will be replaced eventually. The A2 sight ehh I can live with it for now, as far as a light I would like one but it's not a must have, eventually I'd like to get a 14.5 barrel on it but I'll most likely wait till my barrel is no good someday. Or find another lower and build a complete flat top(no A2) carbine.

RobertTheTexan
01-10-17, 20:01
Hey Shrill, why don't you check out Mech Defense for charging handles when it's time. If you google MechDefense CQB charging handle you'll find them. It's an excellent product. If your are military or LEO they offer a discount. It really is an improvement over the standard milspec CH.

Shrillar67
01-10-17, 20:02
Alright thanks I'll give em a look