PDA

View Full Version : Recomend me a Mount, Optic, and BUIS for my SHTFIAUS Rifle!

G17L
01-06-17, 13:05
I'm in the process of "upgrading" a stock LE6920. The removable carry handle is coming off next to be replaced with a red dot sight and some type of rear BUIS.

This is my "Shit Hit The Fan In An Urban Setting" rifle. Primary uses would be Zombie engagement for CQB type scenarios to let's say out to 200 yards max.

Larue Tactical has the Trijicon MRO and LT839 mount (1/3 co-witness) listed at $493. The price and larger aperture of the MRO sound very enticing! However I've red and watched the reviews about the MRO and its bugs, so not sure if I should just keep saving my pennies for something else.

Maybe you guys can help me out with some questions:

1. For those running the MRO, would you buy it again or recommend a different red dot? If so which one?
2. Those not running the MRO, what red dot/mount configuration are you running in your carbine?
3. What rear BUIS are you running with your FSB equipped rifle?

"Vintage" (but not old) fart here whose last "real" AR type rifle usage was in the ARMY 25+ years ago. I picked up the 6920 6-7 years ago, zeroed it, and never really did anything with it.

I shot a DD M4A1 with an Aimpoint Micro T1 the other day that re-sparked the interest.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated!

Digital_Damage
01-06-17, 13:16
I'm in the process of "upgrading" a stock LE6920. The removable carry handle is coming off next to be replaced with a red dot sight and some type of rear BUIS.

This is my "Shit Hit The Fan In An Urban Setting" rifle. Primary uses would be Zombie engagement for CQB type scenarios to let's say out to 200 yards max.

Larue Tactical has the Trijicon MRO and LT839 mount (1/3 co-witness) listed at $493. The price and larger aperture of the MRO sound very enticing! However I've red and watched the reviews about the MRO and its bugs, so not sure if I should just keep saving my pennies for something else.

Maybe you guys can help me out with some questions:

1. For those running the MRO, would you buy it again or recommend a different red dot? If so which one?
2. Those not running the MRO, what red dot/mount configuration are you running in your carbine?
3. What rear BUIS are you running with your FSB equipped rifle?

"Vintage" (but not old) fart here whose last "real" AR type rifle usage was in the ARMY 25+ years ago. I picked up the 6920 6-7 years ago, zeroed it, and never really did anything with it.

I shot a DD M4A1 with an Aimpoint Micro T1 the other day that re-sparked the interest.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated!

Zombies? Dafaq? Did I just walk into 2012?

JNG3
01-06-17, 13:33
Ignoring the "zombie" comments, if it was my carbine to be used in your stated conditions (CQB to 200 yds max), I would choose an Aimpoint. ACO, the Pro, Comp M4. Just pick one based on budget. As for a BUIS, LMT fixed or DD fixed. If you want a folding, then Matech or one of the Knights Armament. Just my opinion.

Edit- can't spell fer nuttin!

G17L
01-06-17, 13:36
Zombies? Dafaq? Did I just walk into 2012?
Replace "zombies" with whatever tickles your pickle or fits the times! How about "enemy", better?

bighawk
01-06-17, 13:52
I own an MRO and multiple Aimpoints.. I like my MRO and intend on keeping it forever but I like the Aimpoint T1/T2 with a Larue 660 as I have a few of them and they are all on my go to HD/SD guns. I also have a PRO which is pretty solid right out of the box.

They have tens of thousands of rounds on them, been trough multiple classes, dropped, banged around in storage/transportation/training with no issues whatsoever. Not to mention you cant beat the battery life

As far as backup sight I have many different ones that have all served me well you cant go wrong with troy, kac, matech, magpul mbus and mbus pros.

Furbyballer
01-06-17, 13:58
Im a fan of T2s in whatever mount you fancy and kac or magpul pro buis. I have an MRO, but I prefer my aimpoints.

Uprange41
01-06-17, 15:43
My primary carbine is using an Aimpoint H1 with a Geissele lower-1/3rd SP mount.

I went to Geissele from LaRue and DD. The Geissele has a lot of features I like, while not being as permanent as the DD. I keep a cut-down wrench in the grip of the rifle, and for every single situation where I've needed the dot gone, I could take the 10 extra seconds to grab the wrench.

LaRue mounts never fit well enough on my BCM's to act as truly repeatable QD's (fore/aft play when cranked down), and given the fact that I never needed a lightening quick optic removal, I decided to go Geissele over Scalarworks or Bobro. And I'd take an Aimpoint H1/T1/H2/T2 over an MRO without even the slightest hesitation.

For rear sights, I use DD and LaRue VFZ. I like both well enough.

G17L
01-06-17, 15:52
Thanks to all who have intelligently replied. Keep the good info coming!

Korgs130
01-06-17, 18:46
I have several Aimpoint Mircos (H1s & an H2). Like others, I highly recommend them. I can't speak intelligently about the MRO. I have both LaRue and DD mounts and like them both, though I lean toward the DD. I've tried a bunch of BUS's and right now the Magpul Pros are my favorites.

GH41
01-06-17, 18:47
Replace "zombies" with whatever tickles your pickle or fits the times! How about "enemy", better?

For your use any of the $29 Chinese red dots would work fine. For zombie shooting simulation I recommend painting the dirt clogs on the backstop with fluorescent green traffic paint. The paintball shooters at the mall can give you more details.

twm134
01-06-17, 22:20
Aimpoint PRO's are tough to beat for value and usefulness. They are proven to be extremely durable, can be had for about 2/3rds the price of a micro and come with a very serviceable mount. The more I use them the less I care about any other non magnified optic.

hypno02
01-07-17, 02:09
A MRO with a factory mount is a RDS that is tough as nails. Mine has taken quite the beating and it keeps on going like a champ.

I owned a PRO in the past and it was just as reliable. Just a bit heavier.

Tomac
01-07-17, 11:59
Another vote for the MRO, no-one who's tried one of mine has had any complaints at all. I keep spare batteries and a hex wrench for removing the MRO's factory mount in my pistol grip.
As I consider BUIS to be entirely secondary, I've used the Magpul MBUS Gen2 for years and have been very happy with them.

Tomac

Caeser25
01-07-17, 12:33
Trijicon TA45 or TA33.

For buis, I'm still a fan of the ARMS 40lsp.

G17L
01-10-17, 00:36
Thank you all for the replies!

cd228
01-10-17, 05:23
To keep it simple.

Aimpoint pro with included mount. It will work out of the box and has been proven reliable. I've had one for years and I haven't had an issue. Three quick clicks and you can verify the torque. I use mine with an normal co witness, but I actually prefer a lower 1/3.

BUIS-

If you want a fixed one, I highly recommend the Larue one. I have had one since 2009 and never had an issue. LMT makes a good one too, but it's bulky, complex and expensive. DD seems to have a good rep for fixed BUIS, but I don't own one so I cannot endorse it.

If you want a folding BUIS then look at Troy, KAC and Magpul. The Magpul MBUS is best value IMHO, low cost, light, locks up and down, quick deploy, reasonably durable. The Troy has been the gold standard for simple durable BUIS for years. The KAC 300M Micro is good quality and has a compact footprint but it doesn't lock and it's expensive.

I hope that helps.

themonk
01-10-17, 05:58
I would personally only go with an Aimpoint on that rifle. The new H2 and T2 have a much better dot and better glass.

rajahdat
01-10-17, 07:20
aimpoint with a larue mount

I tried a geissele mount with my acog didnt like it too much

buis.. i would say off set.. magpul, griffin, etc
aint no one got time to take off your optice when shtf

cop1211
01-11-17, 04:54
MRO Geissele or Scalara mount, LMT rear, or KAC.