PDA

View Full Version : Bcm mk12 spr..or other?

TacticalFun
01-07-17, 11:04
Going to buy a nice 18" this week...i have no need for this just some christmas bonus coin. It will wear a primary arms platinum 1-8. What are some other choices that are 5.56? A Wylde chamber is also in the realm of ok. I looked for a while and most of the rifles i do not want. I also do not want the JP. thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MistWolf
01-07-17, 12:07
Ammo!

MegademiC
01-07-17, 12:28
Centurion arms has a great reputation for their mk12 uppers/barrels, but nothing wrong with bcm either.

TacticalFun
01-07-17, 12:33
Centurion arms has a great reputation for their mk12 uppers/barrels, but nothing wrong with bcm either.
I will look into that. I always forget about them.

TacticalFun
01-07-17, 14:34
Also what would i gain from building my own with the Douglas barrel over buying the bcm?

dylank0723
01-07-17, 15:27
the daniel defense mk12 is awesome, still getting mine set up(gonna get a bipod and change the a2) but it prints sub MOA with good ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
01-07-17, 15:48
Do you already own the rifle scope? For what that thing costs you have a LOT of options that many would argue are a bit more proven.

As for the BCM upper, it will treat you well. Mine is almost boringly accurate out to 300, which is the furthest I can shoot locally. Others here will report the same and at further distances. If you're going to be shooting 55/62 gr "mil spec" ammo, you will not see the same results. It loves mk262 clones like the IMI 77gr OTM (http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/20-round-box-556mm-77-grain-smk-otm-lr-mod-1-razorcore-imi-ammo-made-israel-m).

TacticalFun
01-07-17, 15:48
Apparently i can get the same thing from pri for 1k less. I think i have a winner.

TacticalFun
01-07-17, 15:50
Do you already own the rifle scope? For what that thing costs you have a LOT of options that many would argue are a bit more proven.

As for the BCM upper, it will treat you well. Mine is almost boringly accurate out to 300, which is the furthest I can shoot locally. Others here will report the same and at further distances. If you're going to be shooting 55/62 gr "mil spec" ammo, you will not see the same results. It loves mk262 clones like the [URL=http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/20-round-box-556mm-77-grain-smk-otm-lr-mod-1-razorcore-imi-ammo-made-israel-m]IMI 77gr OTM].
I already have the scope. It is quite nice and has taken a beating ( i break stuff) i would like to eventually get the correct S&B for it.

Furbyballer
01-08-17, 06:30
Another vote for the DD mk12. We have taken ours out to just over 600 with our leupold mk6 3-18 and that thing just stacks rounds on top of each other.

Mrgunsngear
01-08-17, 09:56
Going to buy a nice 18" this week...i have no need for this just some christmas bonus coin. It will wear a primary arms platinum 1-8. What are some other choices that are 5.56? A Wylde chamber is also in the realm of ok. I looked for a while and most of the rifles i do not want. I also do not want the JP. thank you in advance.

I built a couple 18'' uppers in the past but the BCM kept calling my name and the itch had to be scratched :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4EH8pHrO1Q&t=7s

TacticalFun
01-08-17, 09:58
I built a couple 18'' uppers in the past but the BCM kept calling my name and the itch had to be scratched :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4EH8pHrO1Q&t=7s
Nice video! How do you like the vltor compared to a b5?

Mrgunsngear
01-08-17, 11:03
Nice video! How do you like the vltor compared to a b5?

I'm guessing you mean stock and not the extension?

If so, depends on which BCM stock ;)

http://i.imgur.com/DTzgGGtl.jpg

TacticalFun
01-08-17, 11:06
I'm guessing you mean stock and not the extension?

http://i.imgur.com/DTzgGGtl.jpg
The pri comes with a b5 enhanced sopmod and Douglas 1/7 chf barrel. The bcm has vltor stock and bcm barrel. Just trying to find the $800 difference.

CJS06
01-08-17, 11:43
Take a look at the PRI Mk12 mod0. Comes complete ready to drop onto a lower and mount your glass. They use a Douglas barrel and include the BCG and Gas buster charging handle as well as top rail and rear sight. They shoot lights out and are a great deal.

TacticalFun
01-08-17, 11:51
Take a look at the PRI Mk12 mod0. Comes complete ready to drop onto a lower and mount your glass. They use a Douglas barrel and include the BCG and Gas buster charging handle as well as top rail and rear sight. They shoot lights out and are a great deal.
I am going to buy complete pri mod 0 i think.

556BlackRifle
01-08-17, 12:26
Hard to go wrong with either one - BCM or PRI, but I find myself leaning toward the PRI side of the fence just a little.

Bowser
01-08-17, 17:10
https://i.imgur.com/kSY7dHS.jpg

Barrel is is HCS. I found all my clone parts and had Allen from HCS assemble it.

I have taken my MK12 Mod 0 out to 900 iwth Black Hills 77gr OTM.

There is a second video on my channel that shows an alternate angle with the rifle but here is the spotting scope view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_FSs4rrNk

rjacobs
01-08-17, 17:27
If I was after a straight MK12 clone I would go with the HCS built upper or probably having Monty from Centurion build one up.

The Douglass is the correct barrel.

If all you want is an 18" SPR style there are a lot of other ways to go IMO and I dont think I would be looking at BCM, no offense to BCM at all, I just dont think of them being in the precision barrel game. I built mine with a CLE/Krieger 18" SPR profile barrel(CLE match chamber and matched bolt) and a Giessele rail(dont remember which Mk) and its a damn good shooter, 1/2 moa all day long. If I built another I would probably do a Bartlein from CLE just to do something different, not that I havent enjoyed the hell out of the Krieger.

TacticalFun
01-08-17, 18:25
If I was after a straight MK12 clone I would go with the HCS built upper or probably having Monty from Centurion build one up.

The Douglass is the correct barrel.

If all you want is an 18" SPR style there are a lot of other ways to go IMO and I dont think I would be looking at BCM, no offense to BCM at all, I just dont think of them being in the precision barrel game. I built mine with a CLE/Krieger 18" SPR profile barrel(CLE match chamber and matched bolt) and a Giessele rail(dont remember which Mk) and its a damn good shooter, 1/2 moa all day long. If I built another I would probably do a Bartlein from CLE just to do something different, not that I havent enjoyed the hell out of the Krieger.
Was looking at the centurion. There is a picture of a complete rifle...but no way to order said rifle?

TacticalFun
01-08-17, 19:30
I have exactly 3k to spend. I just want something nice. Would like to keep it 5.56. I like bcm,lmt,LaRue, Kac. Not big on dd. Will be a range toy...i have battle rifles. Does not have to be a mk12. What would you buy?

CJS06
01-08-17, 19:57
If you want a quality 18" SPR type rifle without worrying about it being a mk12 clone look at SMOS. Stubborn Mule uses a very high quality Ops Inc profile barrel and can be had with either a quad rail or Mlok rail to fit your taste. I believe they are going for around $2100. It is not listed on their site so you would need to contact them.

jstalford
01-08-17, 20:20
If I had 3k for an 18" gun, I would probably:

A. Get a KAC LPR mod 2
B. Get a MK12 upper from Monty but with the 15" CMR rail and then build a lower and buy ammo
C. Get an LMT MARS gun and then add an 18" barrel
D. Build or have built something around a Krieger or similar barrel with MUR and Geissele or Wedgelock rail.

MegademiC
01-08-17, 21:06
I have exactly 3k to spend. I just want something nice. Would like to keep it 5.56. I like bcm,lmt,LaRue, Kac. Not big on dd. Will be a range toy...i have battle rifles. Does not have to be a mk12. What would you buy?

But you want a 18 ish precision gun, right?

I'd go either KAC LPR, or call Monty ar centurion and have them build you what you want. Either fills the "nice" slot, I would not dedicate either to "range toy". Ymmv.

rjacobs
01-08-17, 21:54

3k is a bunch of money.

I built mine with all top end components(CLE Krieger barrel/bolt, Vltor MUR upper, JP light weight carrier, Geissele 15" rail, Syrac gas block, AAC 51t brake) and put it on a lower I had with a Geissele SSA-E, Magpul rifle MOE stock, JP silent spring and I I dont think I have 2k into the whole setup.

Again, it depends on what YOU really want.

Do you want a legit MK12 clone? Call up Monty and he can set you up. Call up HCS and they can set you up.

Do you want an SPR-type gun? Lots of shops can build you what you want or you could do it yourself. There may even be a member local to you that would help you assemble all the parts into a complete gun. If you were local to the Dallas area I would help you out.

Do you want a factory gun? Your options become a little more limited, but they do still exist.

Skyyr
01-09-17, 14:11
Here's my thoughts, coming from someone who loves 18" AR's and SPR's:

If you're a BCM fan and you just like the lines and contours of the SPR (the type of rifle itself) in general, then sure - the BCM SPR will likely fit your list of requirements. However, BCM's "SPR" is not a proper SPR clone.

If you're looking for an actual/proper SPR clone, then get an actual SPR clone (HCS, Centurion, and PRI all sell very nice ones). The BCM Mk12 SPR is not a true clone (wrong barrel, branding in places where actual SPRs had none, etc.), yet it tries to be one with the selection of parts and it prices itself as such. That's not to say it isn't a nice rifle (it is), but for the money you're spending, you're not getting a clone while paying clone-like prices. Why not get an actual clone with an actual NSW SPR barrel? HCS, Centurion, and PRI all have near-100% clones - PRI is especially great when you consider the pricing.

If you don't care about an SPR clone, then don't limit yourself to old technology, which is what all SPR-clones and clone-wannabes are. Rails, tubes, sights, etc. have all changed significantly and for the better since the SPR made its debut.

If you're set on an 18" precision setup, look at the KAC LPR. About the same price, but it's the modern equivalent of an SPR with Stoner's own advancements. 18" Kreiger single-point-cut rifling, sub-MOA accuracy, ambidextrous lower, new brake-line type gas system, sub-8lbs, etc. It's truly the modern version of the SPR and it feels like a .22 Magnum in recoil.

Just my .02

Rogue556
01-09-17, 14:32

Ahh, so that's where those stocks went [emoji6].

Are you planning on a review of it? I've been waiting for that stock to hit the market..

Soon I hope..

TacticalFun
01-09-17, 14:54
I think i am set on the pri. Next one will be a kac i think. Will have to save for a few months for the S&B optic.

MegademiC
01-09-17, 18:02
Skyyr, what is a "brake-line" type gas system?

thopkins22
01-09-17, 18:08
Skyyr, what is a "brake-line" type gas system?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?160989-KAC-mod-2-gas-system

Basically a flange that screws into the gas block to limit or eliminate gas leaks up front.

Maybe it lets them drill the port smaller and have it cycle smoother and with less secondary recoil, simultaneously removing a finicky roll pin, and it's just Knights being smarter and perfecting a system as they're known to do. Or carbon and copper seals it up pretty well after a little shooting anyway and it's just Knights getting anal.

Either way it's pretty cool and intriguing that they have people reconsidering parts we all just take for granted.

Mrgunsngear
01-09-17, 22:30
Ahh, so that's where those stocks went [emoji6].

Are you planning on a review of it? I've been waiting for that stock to hit the market..

Soon I hope..

It's already done. I'll make it public when they start shipping.

MegademiC
01-10-17, 07:13

Basically a flange that screws into the gas block to limit or eliminate gas leaks up front.

Maybe it lets them drill the port smaller and have it cycle smoother and with less secondary recoil, simultaneously removing a finicky roll pin, and it's just Knights being smarter and perfecting a system as they're known to do. Or carbon and copper seals it up pretty well after a little shooting anyway and it's just Knights getting anal.

Either way it's pretty cool and intriguing that they have people reconsidering parts we all just take for granted.

Didn't know that existed, thanks.

Skyyr
01-10-17, 11:16

There's some other improvements as well.

The gas block slides into a specific cutout on the barrel, and then is held in place by a castle nut (similar to how a receiver extension is held in place by its own castle nut); a portion of the barrel forward of the gas block is threaded, and a castle nut screws onto it to hold the gas block in place. The gas block's castle nut solves the issue of decreased accuracy that can occur from barrel stress with pinned and set-screw gas blocks, and is stronger than clamp-on gas blocks.

The gas tube itself is also straight, which offers less resistance to gases in the tube (and therefore less wear) while also being stronger than a traditional gas tube.

C-grunt
01-11-17, 01:17
Where are you seeing this huge price difference between PRI and BCM?

TacticalFun
01-11-17, 03:48
Where are you seeing this huge price difference between PRI and BCM?
Pri is $1975. Every bcm i see for sale is 2800ish

C-grunt
01-11-17, 03:51
Pri is $1975. Every bcm i see for sale is 2800ish

From their website the full rifle is 2350. Uppers are around 1500 if you add the Arms upper rail.

TacticalFun
01-11-17, 03:53
From their website the full rifle is 2350. Uppers are around 1500 if you add the Arms upper rail.
The two new ones on gb are 2800 and the used one is 2500.

C-grunt
01-11-17, 03:57
The two new ones on gb are 2800 and the used one is 2500.

Id just buy the upper separately and get the lower from someone like G&R. That will save you the 11 percent tax as well.

Not saying that the BCM is better than the others listed.

jstalford
01-11-17, 06:44
Nah, the uppers on bcms sight are 1300 max. Add a lower and your looking at 1700.

They're crazy if they want more than an LPR for that.

Skyyr
01-11-17, 09:23
Nah, the uppers on bcms sight are 1300 max. Add a lower and your looking at 1700.

They're crazy if they want more than an LPR for that.

The base cost of the uppers doesn't include the Swan rail or the correct flip up sight - those are an additional $300 add-on. It also doesn't include the correct charging handle (another $67 upgrade cost), and they don't offer the correct muzzle device at all. They offer a clone of the device for $99.

Just to get close to a proper clone (and still have the wrong barrel, trigger, and muzzle device), you're looking at an additional $466 in cost.

That's about $300 under an LPR as-is. Replace the trigger with a proper SPR trigger and you've hit the cost of an LPR, and you'll still have the wrong barrel and muzzle device.

Millsscar
01-11-17, 09:35
Get a Daniel Defense [emoji1303]

ExplorinInTheWoods
01-12-17, 23:38
Troy is coming out with a mk12, I would like to see what that turns out to be like.