PDA

View Full Version : I want a Noveske 14.5" Afghan!!

cody0341
09-17-08, 13:35
So I have decided that I want to buy the 14.5 afghan but I don't want it to be a SBR. Does anyone Know if Noveske with permently attach the KX3 Flash Suppressor? Also with that make it a full 16 inchs? I know I can just call them but I wanted to see if anyone has done this or if they know if it can be done.

theJanitor
09-17-08, 13:52
13.7 + Pig = 16.1 inches. using a 14.5 would, obviously make it .9 inches longer.

http://global-tactical.com/noveske137inchinfidelpolyrifledssbarrelwithionbondfinish.aspx

markm
09-17-08, 13:56
I'd pick a lighter and smaller muzzle device for a 14.5 inch barrel.

Olav
09-17-08, 14:00
So I have decided that I want to buy the 14.5 afghan but I don't want it to be a SBR. Does anyone Know if Noveske with permently attach the KX3 Flash Suppressor? Also with that make it a full 16 inchs? I know I can just call them but I wanted to see if anyone has done this or if they know if it can be done.

Just ask them and they'll do it.

cody0341
09-17-08, 14:25
I know but the KX3 Flash Suppressor looks so f**kin cool!! I know it's not the best muzzle device for a 14.5 but I want it.

rob_s
09-17-08, 14:25

I agree.

IMHO the pig is really designed for 12.5" and under barrels.

Call up Noveske and talk to him about it.

theJanitor
09-17-08, 14:48
i built a carbine with the kx3 on a 13.7 barrel. why? because it sends all of the muzzle blast straight forward. Eric Torres demonstrated this to me, firing with his muzzle parallel to my ears. i felt very little blast and it was relatively quiet to me. we also turned out the lights and there was very little flash visible to the shooter.

so, while it was designed for the SBR's, i believe it has it's place in a standard length CQB weapon.

USMC03
09-17-08, 14:50
Noveske perminately attaches Surefire 556K flash hider or muzzle brake, Smith Vortex, and a couple other flash hiders to the 14.5" N4 barrels. I don't see why they wouldn't do it for a 14.5" Afgan.

I posted the following in another thread where the poster was wanting to put a KX3 on a 16" duty carbine. Just some food for thought:

I would not recommend a KX3 for a barrel over 12.5" (give or take an inch).

I ran a KX3 on my 11.5" barrel for work. I liked that the KX3 directed the muzzle blast, flash, gases, etc. down range. Short barreled rifles can be obnoxious and when shooting in close proximity to other Officers a KX3 on a short barreled rifle has a utility.

But consider that the KX3 is 8 oz (1/2 pound) and adds to the overall length of the gun. My 11.5" short barreled rifle w/ KX3 was only 1.75" shorter than my 14.5" M4 with Sabre Defense long A2 flash hider (overall length is 16.1").

In my opinion the extra weight and length of the KX3 were a fair trade off for the benefits gained by the KX3 when running it on a SBR. Putting the KX3 on a 16" barrel would make the overall length of the barrel 18.75" (that's almost 19"), not to mention you will notice 1/2 lbs. out on the end of a 16" barrel more than you will on the end of a 10.5" - 11.5" barrel.

I like the KX3's on SBR's, but they have little to no use on longer barrels. The bottom gun is a 11.5" SBR w/ KX3, the gun above it is a 14.5" M4 with a long A2 flash hider perminately attached to meet the 16" minimum barrel length:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Group%20Gun%20Pics/AllLMTs.jpg?t=1210463283

I wouldn't go with a KX3 on a 14.5" barrel.

Just my .02

S/F,
Jeff

cody0341
09-17-08, 15:03
so, while it was designed for the SBR's, i believe it has it's place in a standard length CQB weapon.

well that is what I'm looking for

theJanitor
09-17-08, 16:02
well that is what I'm looking for

but not just because it looks cool

spamsammich
09-17-08, 16:18
I recently went through this same line of thought and opted to not go with the Kx3 on a 14.5" LMT barrel. I wanted to go with a SBR type look since I cant have an SBR in this state, but tacking a half pound onto the end of a gun that would already have a long rail was a big negative to me. Also, I'm not a strong guy so I didn't want a gun that was really front heavy or awkward to handle.

I also got it into my head that adding the KX3 to an Afghan would add pressure to the DI system thus negating the main benefit to having a mid length barrel. Am I wrong in this assumption? I know they're bad to make ;)

If you mull over the pluses and minuses long enough, you can probably talk your self into thinking a 14.5" barrel with a vortex or phantom and a 12" rail will look cool enough and handle well.

theJanitor
09-17-08, 16:23
cut the barrel down to 13.7, pin the KX3 on and it won't be that bad. after everyone leaves my office tonite, i'll try to weigh mine.

and it shoots pretty soft. i'm running mine on a LMT, with the factory 16" LMT barrel cut down and an H2 Buffer.

HAMMERDROP
09-17-08, 21:15
I have that set up in a VIS3 and the added weight is negligible unless you dont eat your Malt o' Meal if you do you'll never notice it if you dont your spleen will rupture humpin' it around all day. No way to keep weapon weight down to 8-9lbs when adding such items, small price to pay but I wouldn't change it if I had the chance...IMHO
Grant had mine 'pinned' when I ordered it.

Michael

theJanitor
09-17-08, 22:55
this gun is under 9# without magazine. and it's even got a 600 scout light with the mod1 kit on the other side. not that heavy at all

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/noveske1.jpg

cody0341
09-17-08, 23:22
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/noveske1.jpg

that is exactly the upper I want to build!!! is the the LaRue 11 inch?

Olav
09-18-08, 00:18
My set up is 8lbs 4oz. the way it is w/o magazine.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/th_IMG_0931.jpg (http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0931.jpg)

Some of the kx3's advantages in addition to being a flash supressor:

"First, according to Rogers, it "tricks the barrel into believing it's longer" by increasing backpressure to sufficient levels (reducing stress on the system). Second, it "captures gas and releases it over a longer time curve, which makes the guns more comfortable to shoot." So, the kx3 must reduce the recoil forces by spreading the actual recoil impulse out over time, making for a longer push against the shoulder, rather than a fast jolt. This is the same idea as that behind Jim Sullivan's (L. James Sullivan) "Constant-Recoil" principle, utilized by ST Kinetics' Ultimax 100 LMG/SAW (Sullivan designed and developed the 5.56x45mm Ultimax for the Singaporese army about 25 years ago). However Constant-Recoil's recoil attenuation/mitigation effect, resulting in greatly increased weapon controllability on full-auto and thus more hits on target, would have to be much more dramatic than that produced by the Krinkov flash hider--at least one would think. "

I don't find the weight noticeable at all either. Plus, when shooting close to the ground I don't get any debris kicked up as opposed to traditional flash supressors...

CDDM416
09-18-08, 10:43
does anyone know who has a kx3 in stock, id like to put it on my LMT10.5.
im still waiting for my tax stamp, but i would like to have before i get the stamp.

C4IGrant
09-18-08, 10:50

Agree.

C4

spamsammich
09-18-08, 11:55
does anyone know who has a kx3 in stock, id like to put it on my LMT10.5.
im still waiting for my tax stamp, but i would like to have before i get the stamp.

I know for sure Rainier had some in stock as of Monday this week.

Army Chief
09-18-08, 12:01
No offense, but given the stated purpose and form factor of the KX3, I'm not entirely sure that there is any way to justify it on a non-NFA barrel for reasons other than mere appearances, and using in in place of better alternatives for >14.5" barrels makes such a choice suspect at best. It's a bit like putting a muzzle brake on a .22LR rifle ... sure, you can do it, but aren't you really sort of missing the point?

Chief

theJanitor
09-18-08, 13:14
whatever the STATED purpose, the fact is that the KX3 is very good at softening the felt recoil of the weapon, directs all the muzzle blast forward toward your target instead of toward your teammates (or your partner,family, etc), doesn't throw around alot of dirt when shooting prone, and blocks alot of muzzle flash from the shooter. when sized with the proper sized barrel (13.7 or shorter), doesn't weight a whole lot. those are alot of benefits. with not alot of drawbacks.

this was posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC in another thread. he runs a KX3 on a 13.7 barrel as well

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/simplydynamic/th_BAD_LEVER.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/simplydynamic/?action=view&current=BAD_LEVER.flv)

Olav
09-18-08, 13:30
whatever the STATED purpose, the fact is that the KX3 is very good at softening the felt recoil of the weapon, directs all the muzzle blast forward toward your target instead of toward your teammates (or your partner,family, etc), doesn't throw around a lot of dirt when shooting prone, and blocks a lot of muzzle flash from the shooter. when sized with the proper sized barrel (13.7 or shorter), doesn't weight a whole lot. those are a lot of benefits. with not a lot of drawbacks.
My experience is exactly as stated above.

Also, staying of target between shots is easier as the muzzle doesn't move around a lot.

When shooting really close to the ground or any surface that has potential of kicking up crap you don't have to worry, also shooting using barriers you can place the KX3 on the barrier and shoot without any adverse side effects.

Another place I found useful having the KX3 is shooting supine. I don't get any unwanted blasts of gas anywhere unpleasant.

There are a lot of advantages to the KX3 design that aren't realized until you have actually used one in various scenarios.

So what it weighs a little more but I have a useful advantage in many situations.

CDDM416
09-18-08, 13:49
I know for sure Rainier had some in stock as of Monday this week.

thanks alot, but it looks they where cleaned out too,

spamsammich
09-18-08, 13:54
thanks alot, but it looks they where cleaned out too,

I find that hard to believe unless the whole bin I saw was spoken for. Try calling them. They got a lot of new inventory lately and may not be totally up to date on the website. Seriously, try calling.

Army Chief
09-18-08, 13:57
I'm sorry, guys -- it wasn't my purpose to make you feel like you needed to defend your choices. I just prefer the KX3 on SBR applications. For all I know, you might prefer to put A2 birdcages on 10.5" guns -- different choices for different shooters. I like the Krink -- I just don't like it as much on non-NFA blasters.

Of course, I was slightly disappointed that the title of this thread didn't lead to an actual discussion on Afghans, as those are some exceptional little carbines!

:)

Chief

theJanitor
09-18-08, 14:02
no harm done. i'm not trying to defend my build either. i KNOW it works. i thought the thread was going to be a discussion on the LOOK of weapons, which is inconsequential and meaningless. i just wanted to point out that the KX3 has distinct advantages that people might not know about and might want to investigate.

spamsammich
09-18-08, 14:02
I'm sorry, guys -- it wasn't my purpose to make you feel like you needed to defend your choices. I just prefer the KX3 on SBR applications. For all I know, you might prefer to put A2 birdcages on 10.5" guns -- different choices for different shooters. I like the Krink -- I just don't like it as much on non-NFA blasters.

Of course, I was slightly disappointed that the title of this thread didn't lead to an actual discussion on Afghans, as those are some exceptional little carbines!

:)

Chief

Perhaps you could start a thread on them? I'd love to know more about that barrel group.

CDDM416
09-18-08, 14:47
I find that hard to believe unless the whole bin I saw was spoken for. Try calling them. They got a lot of new inventory lately and may not be totally up to date on the website. Seriously, try calling.

thanks agian, i called them, they just sold out..........:mad:

spamsammich
09-18-08, 15:10
holy shit that was fast! Those things must sell like BCM middies! I counted at least 12 and I could only see the front of the bin.

CDDM416
09-18-08, 15:18
holy shit that was fast! Those things must sell like BCM middies! I counted at least 12 and I could only see the front of the bin.

yea they did, guess ill just keep on a waiting,,,

Spade
09-18-08, 16:33
I realise that you guys have probably talked it into the ground. However I have a 14.5 with the pig on the end. I had several people tell me I really didn't need it & that's probably true. That being said there is a lot things I have & do that I probabably don't need. The rifle shoots great & is a lot of fun (props to Noveske) So if you really want a KX-3 get one. I have posted pictures of my rifle on here for those who wonder what it will look like.