PDA

View Full Version : Armalite AR10 Accessories

Stan_TheGunNut
09-17-08, 16:10
A friend of mine just bought an Armalite AR-10 carbine. He'd like to add some things to it, so he came to me for my opinion. I know next to nothing about AR-10's, just a little that I read here the past day or so. So, here are a few questions:

-Can standard AR15 tools, such as a barrel wrench & moaks, be used on an AR10 or are different tools required altogether?
-What rails can be installed on an Armalite? I read here that not all of them are compatible with Armalite, due perhaps to threading differences.
-What optic would you all choose as the best general purpose optic for an AR10 carbine? He wants either an EoTech, Aimpoint, or ACOG, but was also looking at a Leupold. The EoTech was supposed to be drop compensated for a 308. I think it was a model 552.

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions you have would be appreciated.
Thanks,

G27gear
09-18-08, 21:43
My AR-10 is a full size, so I don't know how helpfull this will be for a carbine; but the change from a regular stock to a Magpul PRS really helped balance out the rifle and tame the recoil. I would assume that if weight isn't too much of an issue, than one of the more robust stocks with a little heft to it wouldn't be a bad idea. I can't speak for the Magpul's colapsible stocks from any experiance, but they seem to get good reviews and look like they carry the "girth" to handle the .308.
I also changed the forend on mine, replaced it with a badger ordance free floating. Again, the weight helped, but that may be going the wrong direction from what your buddy is trying to acomplish. The other AR site has a whole forum specific to AR10s that was really helpful for getting mine where it seems to be working for me.
Hope this helps some...

mark5pt56
09-19-08, 08:17
I have the carbine, came with the flash hider. Although recoil wasn't "bad" I decided to make it "pleasant" to shoot and got the recoil check from Armalite. It's a great shooter, topped it with a Nightforce 1-4 in an ADM mount, have a GG&G flip sight set on the way.

It'll stay that way for a while. The only things I was thinking over is maybe a DD Omega and a Vltor Emod and Magpul Moe. Right now, no need for it.

SHIVAN
09-19-08, 08:54
Can standard AR15 tools, such as a barrel wrench & moaks, be used on an AR10 or are different tools required altogether?

I've heard of varying success with using modified AR15 tools to work on the AR10. My personal AR15 tools do not seem to fit properly, with the exception of punches and castle nut wrench.

I have an AR10 specific MOACKS from Ned, as well as a dual use AR15/AR10 PRi vise block, polymer AR10 mag block and ArmaLite polymer upper receiver blocks. I also have an AR10 specific barrel nut wrench I got at a gun show 8 years ago...

What rails can be installed on an Armalite? I read here that not all of them are compatible with Armalite, due perhaps to threading differences.

Up until recently the ArmaLite had more rails to choose from, but I think they are even now.

I really like the Superior Weapons Systems E1 rails. It's the same basic design as the rail that Noveske is using on his builds.

Other makers are Daniel Defense 9.0 and 12.0 Lite Rails, LaRue 9.0, 11.0 and 13.2 rails, Badger Ordnance, ARMS AR10 SIR, JP Rifles makes some, as well as PRi.

What optic would you all choose as the best general purpose optic for an AR10carbine? He wants either an EoTech, Aimpoint, or ACOG, but was also looking at a Leupold. The EoTech was supposed to be drop compensated for a 308. I think it was a model 552.

Drop compensation in a red dot just seems counterintuitive to me...

Optics are such a personal preference. What does your friend want to do, primarily, with this weapon?

My AR10 SBR is wearing a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5 in a LaRue SPR-E mount, but I really think it is going to get an Aimpoint M2 soon.

Stan_TheGunNut
09-19-08, 14:39
Thanks for the replies. I'll pass on the thoughts and advice to my friend. He just picked it up the other day, and hasn't shot it yet. I'm anxious to see what the recoil will be like on it.