PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal extractor wear???

CO14
01-08-17, 03:46
Talking about the circular indentation upper right above where the extractor retainer pin goes in. Thanks!

Iraqgunz
01-08-17, 04:44
Yes, that's normal.

CO14
01-08-17, 04:50
What exactly causes that indentation? I have other extractors with less rounds and have yet to see that type of wear pattern?

lysander
01-08-17, 08:27
Most likely something bumped it when it was hot and soft during heat treatment.

It will not affect function or longevity.

CO14
01-08-17, 14:00
I don't recall seeing this when the bolt was new. This is something that i started noticing after 1000 rounds. There is actually a corresponding mark on the bolt as well were this fits in that is harder to see. Almost like something got stuck between the extractor and bolt momentarily. I was just wondering if anybody else has seen such a marking on there extractor?

lysander
01-08-17, 15:11
I don't recall seeing this when the bolt was new. This is something that i started noticing after 1000 rounds. There is actually a corresponding mark on the bolt as well were this fits in that is harder to see. Almost like something got stuck between the extractor and bolt momentarily. I was just wondering if anybody else has seen such a marking on there extractor?
Are you talking about the wear in the finish, or the small depression?

_Stormin_
01-08-17, 15:38
1: Is there any effect on the function of the bolt/extractor?
2: Is it from a known good manufacturer and made from the proper steel?

If the answer to one is "no," and two is "yes," reassemble and run the gun.

CO14
01-08-17, 16:24
Are you talking about the wear in the finish, or the small depression?

The small depression. I've seen the finish wear before. So far it hasn't effected functionality. I'm just curious if it would compromise the strength of the extractor. This more of a self defense firearm rather than a range gun hence the concern. I actually already purchased a new one to be on the safe side but i haven't seen the depression like that on any of my other extractors it just doesn't seem common?

thopkins22
01-08-17, 16:36
If it is made of decent metal and heat treated/finished correctly, it will not break or in any way change a single thing. Extractors just don't break there...frankly not even if they're shoddy. Look at how much metal is there vs. the lip that's grabbing and ripping an expanded case out of the chamber.

Even then...it's behind the fulcrum created by the pin. The only force on that part of the extractor is the force of being pushed away from the bolt by that tiny little spring/o-ring/rubber insert...in other words not a lot.

As to what caused it? Could be a lot of things...it was probably always there since it was manufactured and just showed itself. An inclusion that chipped off during machining is my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO14
01-08-17, 16:54
If it is made of decent metal and heat treated/finished correctly, it will not break or in any way change a single thing. Extractors just don't break there...frankly not even if they're shoddy. Look at how much metal is there vs. the lip that's grabbing and ripping an expanded case out of the chamber.

Even then...it's behind the fulcrum created by the pin. The only force on that part of the extractor is the force of being pushed away from the bolt by that tiny little spring/o-ring/rubber insert...in other words not a lot.

As to what caused it? Could be a lot of things...it was probably always there since it was manufactured and just showed itself. An inclusion that chipped off during machining is my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense..

lysander
01-08-17, 19:31
One- shallow, smooth bottomed, depressions are not high stress risers, sharp "V" notches are.

Two - The location is in a place where the stresses would be higher, there is plenty of meat in that spot. The stresses are probably well below levels of concern.

Three - the Parkerizing is intact, no evidence of impact or other damage, it was likely there since you bought it.