PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else here have really bad luck with firearms?

stubbychubby
01-09-17, 16:21
Every firearm ive ever bought breaks, im considering just stop buying guns.

#1 My first ar 15 was 2000 dollars, after 300 rounds the 2 retaining pins holding the recivers together magically become out of spec ( I know sounds retarded). Could not push the pins back in, I even took a mallet to it because I was pissed. Long store short, after along ass time the company fixed it and sent it back, they said it was indeed WAY out of spec. Got it back, now the front pin was to loose, would start sliding out just from tilting it on its side. It also kicked like a mule (felt like a 308) on the lowest gas setting, garbage...

#2 sig 320, now the slide isnt locking back on last round, even if I move my and way down away from the realese, f*** it, I can deal with that.

#3 bought an ak74 (bulgy) sight canted, trigger dosent reset, barrel pin over pressed, roughest action out of an ak ive ever felt by far in my life.

#4 Man this is getting anoying, I know, ill buy a glock! Malfuction a few times every mag with diffrent ammo.... and BTF....

#5 Bought another a15, this ones not a big deal at all but for 1300 bucks I figured it would be better. wobblies 2 fit recivers ive ever seen with a large gap with alot of rattle... Not a big deal like I said but still, I expect a 1300 dollar rifle to fit atleast the same as a 500 ar 15...IDK I haven shot it yet ethier, fingers crossed...

So thats it im 2 for 5, is this normal or is this just me? I would LOVE to put money into ammo but its kinda hard when im paying for all these damn bandaid jobs.

Idk maybe im just bitching or no reason, just frustrated...

Correction, 2 for 6 my vanguard weatherby (bought used) had somthing wrong with the bolt, gunsmith fixed it tho...

kremtok
01-09-17, 16:36
No offense, Sir or Ma'am, but the common component in each of those firearms is the operator. Are you sure you aren't doing something to cause or at least allow those malfunctions to occur?

Kain
01-09-17, 16:40
Two solutions. One, buy more guns, and hope things pan out. Two, buy used guns that are working from people you trust. If they quickly go to hell then you know you are cursed at which point we will have to hold an exorcism to expel the demons.

Third option, if you can break 80% of the guns you handle with minimal use start a youtube gun channel, if your guns fail in such spectacular fashion the number of hits you'll get, and hate mail, might be enough for you to make a living on.

stubbychubby
01-09-17, 16:47
No offense taken. How so and which ones? Im assuming your talking about the pistols but no, my wife was limp wristing it and she said theirs somthing wrong with it so then I tried it and was doing the same thing (glock). The sig ive tryed everything and still does not lock back. Non of these are operator error, ive taken classes before. The other ones I dont see how those could me my fualt no?.. actally its probably low power ammo im using in the sig, that would make sense, because it dosent happen all the time.

Two solutions. One, buy more guns, and hope things pan out. Two, buy used guns that are working from people you trust. If they quickly go to hell then you know you are cursed at which point we will have to hold an exorcism to expel the demons.

Third option, if you can break 80% of the guns you handle with minimal use start a youtube gun channel, if your guns fail in such spectacular fashion the number of hits you'll get, and hate mail, might be enough for you to make a living on.

lol O god, bring me jesus. Only the vanguard was used at a pawn shop, the rest are new but yea. The gun gods are displeased with me.

hahaha, I swear I was thinking of that today....Maybe I wasnt ment to own guns, maybe I was supost to be born a liberal x.x

Nightstalker865
01-09-17, 17:20
What was the $2K AR that gave you all the issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottryan
01-09-17, 17:25
When I was young and dumb I bought stuff that didn't pan out.

Now I am extremely picky about what I buy.

I will not buy any duty size pistol in anything other than 9mm

I will not buy or build any AR-15 that does not start out as a complete LMT MRP, KAC, or Colt

MOLON AABE
01-09-17, 17:43
1. What make of AR-15?

2. Will the Sig P320 when unloaded lock open on an empty magazine if you manually run the slide back?

3. Send your AK to Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Arik
01-09-17, 18:04
1. What make of AR-15?

This is what I wanted to know. $2000 could have been a ripoff. People payed that for junk ARs during the panic.

Bulgy AK doesn't mean anything. Who put it together? Some companies compile a bunch of random parts and call it a "Bulgy" ...It's a popular name now. Century Arms made a "Bulgy" rifle using wrong barrels......For example

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

GH41
01-09-17, 18:06
Where are these guys coming from? Did they shut TOS down?

bamashooter
01-09-17, 18:21
Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. With that said, do you historically have significantly more good firearms purchases than bad? Hope so. Perhaps you should by a known used good firearm from someone and see if it remains that way for at least a short period of time. Maybe that'll change your luck (half joking / half serious).

stubbychubby
01-09-17, 18:27
What was the $2K AR that gave you all the issues?

PWS mk114

When I was young and dumb I bought stuff that didn't pan out.

Now I am extremely picky about what I buy.

I will not buy any duty size pistol in anything other than 9mm

I will not buy or build any AR-15 that does not start out as a complete LMT MRP, KAC, or Colt

Im picky too, I always do a boat load of research before I buy, still dont pan out.

1. What make of AR-15?

2. Will the Sig P320 when unloaded lock open on an empty magazine if you manually run the slide back?

3. Send your AK to Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

1. PWS mk114 (first ar, I was dumb) sec BCM reece 16 mid
2.yes
3. Yea but it would probably cost more then the rifle I have just for fuller to works his magic

PWS and BCM

"Bulgy AK doesn't mean anything. Who put it together?" yup, I agree. It was DDI, It was still under warrenty and they told me to kick rocks. should have went with a difinitive arms dak or a sagia.

"Century Arms made a "Bulgy" rifle using wrong barrels......For example"

I thought they only did that with their tantals? Century sucks balls anyway, dosent surprise.

No I dont, 2 good ones 6 bad.

"Perhaps you should by a known used good firearm from someone and see if it remains that way for at least a short period of time. Maybe that'll change your luck (half joking / half serious)."

Did that with the vanguard, it was broke.

...Im about to just start giving ppl money so they can buy whatever they want for me, that way the curse will be avoided

MOLON AABE
01-09-17, 19:44
PWS and BCM

"Bulgy AK doesn't mean anything. Who put it together?" yup, I agree. It was DDI, It was still under warrenty and they told me to kick rocks. should have went with a difinitive arms dak or a sagia.

I thought they only did that with their tantals? Century sucks balls anyway, dosent surprise.

Curious, how did PWS and BCM handle their business?

Do you have pics of the weapons in question?

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Korgs130
01-09-17, 20:36
#5 Bought another a15, this ones not a big deal at all but for 1300 bucks I figured it would be better. wobblies 2 fit recivers ive ever seen with a large gap with alot of rattle... Not a big deal like I said but still, I expect a 1300 dollar rifle to fit atleast the same as a 500 ar 15...IDK I haven shot it yet ethier, fingers crossed...

So #5 is a BCM. Do you mean the upper is loose when connected to the lower? If so it's not going to affect the function of or the accuracy the carbine one bit.

Nightstalker865
01-09-17, 20:41
Where are these guys coming from? Did they shut TOS down?

Sadly, the forum has been declining steadily over the past couple years....

kremtok
01-09-17, 20:44
No offense taken. How so and which ones? Im assuming your talking about the pistols but no, my wife was limp wristing it and she said theirs somthing wrong with it so then I tried it and was doing the same thing (glock). The sig ive tryed everything and still does not lock back. Non of these are operator error, ive taken classes before. The other ones I dont see how those could me my fualt no?.. actally its probably low power ammo im using in the sig, that would make sense, because it dosent happen all the time.

First of all, thanks for not taking my comment personally.

I can't comment on your choice of AR other than to say PWS isn't on my (short) list of go-to rifles and therefore I wouldn't recommend them to others. For what it's worth, my (short) list consists entirely of BCM and Colt, in alphabetical order.

Your Sig P320, on the other hand, shouldn't be having problems. Did you buy it new? How well have you maintained it? What's the approximate round count on the gun? What ammunition have you tried?

AKs I know nothing about.

I have personally seen Glocks that are both shooter and ammo sensitive. Example: My carry gun shoots fine with defensive ammo, specifically Speer Gold Dots. If I shoot it with 'practice' ammunition of any sort, I see ejection problems and brass to the face. I've put the same gun in my buddy's hands he can't get it to run through a full magazine without a stovepipe. The reason I'm saying all this is that your experience doesn't really surprise me.

Shoot your last AR and let us know how it goes. Wobbles between upper and lower are not necessarily indicative of a problem; only a trip to the range will determine that.

Lastly, I know you said that you have taken classes and such, but maybe find a buddy who has some good background knowledge to head to the range with and see what you do and check out your weapons. Maybe there's something that you're doing - or not doing - without even realizing it. By this I mean lack of lubrication, using the wrong buffer, etc.

scottryan
01-09-17, 21:06
PWS and BCM

You should have went with an Arsenal Bulgarian AK

RobertTheTexan
01-09-17, 21:29

This ^ cracked me up. LOL

No I dont, 2 good ones 6 bad.

"Perhaps you should by a known used good firearm from someone and see if it remains that way for at least a short period of time. Maybe that'll change your luck (half joking / half serious)."

Did that with the vanguard, it was broke.

...Im about to just start giving ppl money so they can buy whatever they want for me, that way the curse will be avoided

I think you should build your next AR. Yeah, yeah go ahead and throw the stones. At this point I'd say you need to think outside the box. Either find a new hobby or build an AR. :)

Kain
01-09-17, 21:49
lol O god, bring me jesus. Only the vanguard was used at a pawn shop, the rest are new but yea. The gun gods are displeased with me.

hahaha, I swear I was thinking of that today....Maybe I wasnt ment to own guns, maybe I was supost to be born a liberal x.x

I am pretty sure we have a high priest of something here. We can baptize you with Slip 2000 in the name of the Saint John Moses Browning and hopefully that will fix the liberal issues and you will go forth and sin no more.

Lol.

On a more serious note, sometimes shit does happen. Glocks do have issues, more so than some might like to believe, be they shooter induced or just manufacturing issues. The upper to lower on the BCM fit unless really sloppy is, as others have said likely not much of an issue. The PWS rifle I really can't speak much to, but have read others saying they a good rifle, but again I haven't seen much of them at all. The Sig could be ammo, I'd try something stouter and if that doesn't work contact Sig. And everyone does put out a lemon from time to time, trust me even custom guns can come with gremlins from the factory. Have friends who have had numerous guns with issues over the years. Two with Kimbers from their custom shop, which it being Kimber was the first issue to me, that wouldn't function from the factory because the slides were not machined properly, have seen ARs from the factory that would pretty much unserviceable, AKs from Century that were laughably ****ed up, as in sights canted 15 degrees or more along with the gasblocks, or that would pull the trigger group out while firing(Fun, fun, fun there). The Sigs I can't speak to as I said, might be ammo, but who knows. the glocks, BTF isn't unknown and honestly, they like revolvers, people say they stupid simple, but they can be ****ed up just fine. Also, if the ammo is crap they will malf. I had a case of reman ammo a few years back that we so horribly down loaded that I would have happily shoved it up the manufacturers ass if they would have taken it. I don't think I made it through 10 rounds without a failure to return to battery or some other malf, fed it Speer Lawman and all was well. Same with cheapo KCI glock mags. Moral of the story there, but quality ammo and mags unless you like doing malf drills.

mic2377
01-09-17, 21:58
I lost interest as soon as the OP mentioned hammering in the takedown pins, and later they fell out. Something is amiss...

stubbychubby
01-09-17, 23:19
Probably not, I have hope for this one but once again, not the bcm quality everyone raves about in my mined. The worst fit an ar15 ive felt so far.

Curious, how did PWS and BCM handle their business?

Do you have pics of the weapons in question?

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

It took me like a year of on and off bitching at them to get them to finally "fix it". I did not bother contating BCM due to the issue being minor.

First of all, thanks for not taking my comment personally.

I can't comment on your choice of AR other than to say PWS isn't on my (short) list of go-to rifles and therefore I wouldn't recommend them to others. For what it's worth, my (short) list consists entirely of BCM and Colt, in alphabetical order.

Your Sig P320, on the other hand, shouldn't be having problems. Did you buy it new? How well have you maintained it? What's the approximate round count on the gun? What ammunition have you tried?

AKs I know nothing about.

I have personally seen Glocks that are both shooter and ammo sensitive. Example: My carry gun shoots fine with defensive ammo, specifically Speer Gold Dots. If I shoot it with 'practice' ammunition of any sort, I see ejection problems and brass to the face. I've put the same gun in my buddy's hands he can't get it to run through a full magazine without a stovepipe. The reason I'm saying all this is that your experience doesn't really surprise me.

Shoot your last AR and let us know how it goes. Wobbles between upper and lower are not necessarily indicative of a problem; only a trip to the range will determine that.

Lastly, I know you said that you have taken classes and such, but maybe find a buddy who has some good background knowledge to head to the range with and see what you do and check out your weapons. Maybe there's something that you're doing - or not doing - without even realizing it. By this I mean lack of lubrication, using the wrong buffer, etc.

I bought the pws When I knew very little about guns, I figured if I had a long stroke piston that it would be just as reliable as an AK (banging head on wall).

The sig was new and has somewhere around 1900 plus rounds through it less then a year. Ammo is eveyting that akes it go bang, wolf,pmc, American E, Horneday, re-manufactured cheap crap, ext. I think you are correct and that it is the ammo for the most part but also think its operator error as well(accidetnly hitting slide release). I notice it alot more when using cheaper ammo....

Glock- idk, was reading about ppl having same issues as me and it seems like the commen problem is glock putting wrong buffers in there... Ill give glock a call, hows their customer service?

BCM- will do, I found an easy fix if anyones interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHDyzoMxEY

I think you should build your next AR. Yeah, yeah go ahead and throw the stones. At this point I'd say you need to think outside the box. Either find a new hobby or build an AR. :)

*SIgh* To build was my original plan but I was scared it would be a "hobby gun" or I would get a screwed up part and would just be a giant hassle to return, I just wanna shoot... I wish I bought an aero persion lower instead, i think their a tensioning screw on them for better fit i think? I should have just stuck with 4wheeling..

lmao, too funny.

Arik
01-10-17, 05:46
PWS and BCM

DDI was Waffen Works and now is PSA. Neither of those 3 were/are anything more than hobby rifles. DDI was probably the best of the three but that's not saying a lot. By the time DDI came about there wasn't much left of the "Bulgy" rifles. What you got is an American rifle with a bunch of Bulgarian parts sprinkled in. The gas tube, sights, trigger guard, safety were Bulgarian

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
01-10-17, 17:06
After consideration I've withdrawn my pearls of wisdoms.

JoshNC
01-10-17, 18:41
Never mind.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-10-17, 19:28
How do we have multiple sub-200 post members posting in the GD?

RobertTheTexan
01-10-17, 19:37
How do we have multiple sub-200 post members posting in the GD?

Is it because this is under "The next evolution in tactical forums > General Discussion"

I think the general discussion are restricted is off AR/M4 > AR General Discussion..

Right?

26 Inf
01-10-17, 19:44
Is it because this is under "The next evolution in tactical forums > General Discussion"

I think the general discussion are restricted is off AR/M4 > AR General Discussion..

Right?

Robert, man I really enjoy you presence here, but if your profile picture is actually you, I just gotta know: Are you StenGun?

Ryno12
01-10-17, 19:47
Robert, man I really enjoy you presence here, but if your profile picture is actually you, I just gotta know: Are you StenGun?

Why would you say that? They look nothing alike.

...and yes, it's regular GD that's restricted to members over 200 posts. Not sure what's going on here either.

RobertTheTexan
01-10-17, 19:53
26, that's a nice thing to say, and I appreciate it. I don't know who StenGun is but I'm guessing I should be thankful that I'm NOT him. Although if he looks like me, then there are two major stud muffins unleashed on the world. Women should tremble. Well if I wasn't married they should, as it stands loyalty ranks kinda high on my list of things to be. :)
Seriously I've been RTT since I've been a member which isn't hat long.
I even have a RTT on TOS but I never go there because it's a sin.
Who is StenGun and maybe I need to change my pic??
Seriously, I was gonna make it my latest SBR build.

SteyrAUG
01-10-17, 20:12
Probably not, I have hope for this one but once again, not the bcm quality everyone raves about in my mined. The worst fit an ar15 ive felt so far.

You should call BCM first, explain your issue, then allow them the chance to fix it.

Your Glock should have a lifetime warranty, call Glock, explain your issue and get an RMA so you can send it back and they will fix it.

The other problems seem to be associated with poor quality build guns, probably not much that can be done.

That said, every once in awhile something gets out the door with problems. I have had issues with a Colt factory AR, a HK handgun and a SIG handgun. In a few cases the firearm in question had been in my possession for a decade or more, in every single instance the problems were corrected and so far it has only cost me return shipping.

Complaining on the internet isn't going to fix your guns. Calling reputable manufacturers usually will.

26 Inf
01-11-17, 00:16
26, that's a nice thing to say, and I appreciate it. I don't know who StenGun is but I'm guessing I should be thankful that I'm NOT him.

Ah, young Apprentice, one will only become MAster of the Forum when one has explored all the dark alleyways of deceit and truly experienced the evil that lurks in the heart of man. Study you must the meteoric rise and the meteoric fall of Stengun, the man who fired full auto too close to the Sun......

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?180883-Only-one-handgun-for-post-apocalypse-(hypothetical-question)/page27

If your posts on the thread are numbered the same as my view, the fun starts at 267. Epic. Final on page 36, post 353, he posts this picture, with a different face and an obviously photo shopped Beretta in the holster. It was epic.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Two_19th_Group_Special_Forces_Soldiers_in_Babil_Province_Iraq.jpg

RobertTheTexan
01-11-17, 05:07

That cut deep man... Deep. Like machete deep.

SPEECHLESS!!!!

[QUOTE=Ryno12;2438110]Why would you say that? They look nothing alike.

QUOTE]

Thank you!! My one saving grace. I should put Ryno on my Christmas card gift certificate list for 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalktr

Outlander Systems
01-11-17, 07:17
The only bad luck I've had with guns are 1911s.

**** those things.

Pilot1
01-11-17, 07:56
Wow, I guess I am lucky. I own, or have owned handguns from Colt, Springfield, Ruger, HK, Beretta, Sig, CZ, Steyr, Combloc milsurps, and even one by Taurus. I have never had issues with any of them. I would not keep a gun that was unreliable, or inaccurate. My rifles have also been winners, but I stick to Colt AR's.

Maybe burn some sage or something? :)

Averageman
01-11-17, 08:17
Have I ever had bad luck with Firearms?
Well I have owned two made in America Sig Rifles over the years, so yeah kinda....
I will admit to being a beta tester on these things and never, ever again.

26 Inf
01-11-17, 10:43
That cut deep man... Deep. Like machete deep.

SPEECHLESS!!!!

[QUOTE=Ryno12;2438110]Why would you say that? They look nothing alike. QUOTE]

Thank you!! My one saving grace. I should put Ryno on my Christmas card gift certificate list for 2017.

Okay, so am I to take this as you responding negative to my question? If so, that is indeed a relief, you seem to ride for the brand and we need more of that type riding the range.

As for Ryno12, all I can say is beware young Padawan.

26 Inf
01-11-17, 10:54
Reflecting back on the question, I really can not think of a gun I've had bad luck with in terms of not performing as appropriate to price, finish and design.

I have a baby colt .25ACP that I had bad luck getting back together, and my Ruger Mark I is a pain in the rear to strip and clean, but pretty much that's it.

I've never owned anything that broke every time I shot it, or was inaccurate beyond expectations. Also never been a victim of slide bite, Glock brass to face, etc.

Hell, I'm a lefty, and as I can recall, I've never had an A1 put brass in my face or down my jacket/shirt.

Right now I'm going outside to work, since apparently I am followed everywhere I go by a cloud of good luck.

HCrum87hc
01-11-17, 11:34
The only gun that really gave me fits was the g42 my wife and I bought for her to carry. That thing couldn't get through a box of FMJ without at least 2 or 3 hiccups, and don't even get me started on JHPs. I shipped it back to Glock, who told me they ran a box of 50 through it without issue and didn't do anything to it before sending it back to me. It's been perfect ever since....

Ryno12
01-11-17, 11:46

[emoji57]

I'm not the one that insulted the guy...

RobertTheTexan
01-11-17, 11:51
FYI I posted here before it was cool. Oh wait it still ain't cool. Lol jk.
I posted back about building an AR which I took down because this post isn't about that. That said of all the AR's I've built I j my have had an issue with one build. The issue was resolved by going to a heavier A5 buffer. Running a heavier buffer, the rifle runs flawlessly. All my other builds, from round one to date have not suffered a FTF or FTE. Luck?
Absolutely not. I believe it is due to:
1) Having been trained to have the correct build philosophy by someone way more knowledgeable than me.
2) Quality parts
3) Patience and quality tools.

RobertTheTexan
01-11-17, 12:00
[QUOTE=RobertTheTexan;2438264]That cut deep man... Deep. Like machete deep.

SPEECHLESS!!!!

Okay, so am I to take this as you responding negative to my question? If so, that is indeed a relief, you seem to ride for the brand and we need more of that type riding the range.

There is no way I could respond to a comparison to that individual in any other manner other than negative. Not to digress it get more off track, but can you define the brand you are referring to?

Jellybean
01-11-17, 12:18
Per "bad luck with firearms".

Yes, one memorable incident....

So my first AR was a Stag Model 2, and after you cretins managed to convince me to get something better, I sold it and bought a DD V3. Oh, the glorious things I heard about this gun! "Flawless!" "Eats everything!" "Boringly reliable!" blah blah blah...
So the gun arrives, I take it out to zero, darn thing jams up every 2-3 rounds. Like, case-crushing double feeds, not just FTF....
Further, I cannot get the thing on paper- I decided to ignore the incessant jamming, and just get it zeroed and figure the internal chaos out later. Will not zero- I've got the rear sight turned damn near all the way to the right, and just barely on the edge of the paper. WTF.

So I contact DD, send picture of crushed cases, explain issues, send the gun in.
They do work on it, send it back, I go out to zero again.
Well this time it zeroed just fine, but still jamming every couple rounds.

Re-contact DD, explain issues, they send an entire new bolt, and finally! the thing worked.

Turns out.... apparently I got the 1 in a million gun that left the factory with a warped barrel AND a bad extractor. Ironically, I *knew* there was something not right about this gun (it was the only one left in stock anywhere), but I was so eager to get the thing I ignored my gut feeling. Typical.
Also, DD customer service was excellent- no hassle "send it in and we'll fix it", and sent me an entire new bolt instead of just an extractor.

Good times....

Firefly
01-11-17, 12:59
"bad luck"? No. Nothing that couldnt be fixed by the manuf.

I have a Kimber I got in '03 or '04 and at one point neglected it and at a few points ran it hard. Kimber converted it (at cost) to an internal extractor from external. I put in a colt gi guide rod in lieu of the FLGR and a Colt Bushing in lieu of the stainless. Runs like a song.

I have heard tell that a series 70 pin can "override" the Swartz style safety should it go out of time but havent gone that far to swap it out. I did put in normal stock screws instead of those lame allen key screws.

It's a neat pistol. I dont baby it. I just keep it really wet and lubed.
I shoot it like my G21.

I wont say it is my favorite pistol, but it is definitely in the top 3.

I wouldnt mind a Wilson after shooting a buddy's but ooooh dats steep. And really it didn't feel any different than my Kimber. But I say that like a quartz vs Rolex watch sentimemt.

Still want one.

I have had buyers remorse here and there but I view those as teachable moments.

chuckman
01-11-17, 13:14
PWS is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and they have put out some good guns. BCM will make theirs right, too.

Doc Safari
01-11-17, 15:19
Generally, as long as I don't buy somebody's broke-dick shit at a gun show, I'm good. I long ago quit buying firearms from private individuals at shows, unless it's a verifiably new item (like a Glock with the copper lubricant still in it or a revolver that the cylinder has obviously never been turned). The thing is: the last revolver I bought brand-spankin'-new at a show from some collector turned out to have a rear sight that nearly had to be maxed out on windage to get on paper. That was the last straw.

I'm also not going to count all the guns that were unreliable or I just flat disliked for some reason. I started a thread "Guns You Really Wanted to Love But Just Couldn't" to cover those.

So, as far as bad luck goes:

I will tell you of one incident, though, and it's why I spent years hating the AR15.

In 1992 I traded off a pre-ban Ling Hua AK for a CAR-15 pencil barrel clone. The thing was the epitome of light weight. Not knowing a lot about AR's, I bought it at a bargain price even though the seller told me it was a gunshop build using surplus parts and commercially available components.

Never mind the obvious that the bolt carrier key wasn't staked and neither was the castle nut. The piece of junk must have literally been put together from floor sweepings. It wouldn't extract. It wouldn't eject. It had dismal accuracy. Finally it seized up so tightly the bolt had to be pounded or pried open (don't remember which). I took it to a friend of mine who was a LEO armorer and knew the AR inside and out.

He determined that the gun seized up because the bolt rings were completely out of spec: all three were of different thicknesses, different lengths, and one had a "kink" in it.

He discovered the extractor was bent, and the ejector spring was kinked as well.

We carted that gun back to the gun store and he and I both gave that shop owner HELL.

Of course, my perfect Ling Hua AK was long gone.

I think it goes without saying I didn't want to just "exchange" the CAR-15 for something else from that chop shop. They claimed not to have the cash to give me money back, so I literally cleaned that store out of ammo and accessories.

I walked out with pretty much several cases of 7.62x39 and enough mags, pouches, loaders, stripper clips, and oilers to start an army.

I didn't have to buy 7.62x39 for over a year IIRC.

That gun shop didn't last but about another year before they went under.

ScottsBad
01-11-17, 15:35
I've had some problems with fairly expensive optics ($1200 range), and a couple parts that functioned fine but were poor quality so I replaced them. I almost always buy high quality (BCM quality), but not gold plated stuff. I have never had a functioning problem with any of my firearms purchases.

Walther PPQ - Perfect operation from first shot.
8 ARs - Built or bought. Perfect through thousands of rounds. Except a couple of bad magazines.
4 SCARs - Perfect
2 Mini-14 (new tapered barrels) - No problems from first shot
Arsenal SGL21 - Perfect
AK pistols - Rough cycling at first, now fine. No jams or failures.
Glock 17 (used Gen 2) - Perfect

I could go on... I guess you've just had some bad luck, or bought poor firearms. But it seems like bad luck.

26 Inf
01-11-17, 17:32
[QUOTE=26 Inf;2438366]

There is no way I could respond to a comparison to that individual in any other manner other than negative. Not to digress it get more off track, but can you define the brand you are referring to?

Bar 20.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-11-17, 18:10
I have had EXCELLENT luck with handguns. I chalk it up to (1) only buy quality an almost never modify and (2) I just use Rem Oil or Hoppes or CLP or regular gun oil, I don't try to reinvent the wheel or chase magic oils. When the regular stuff works, why change?

I have a very good friend who is ALWAYS having malfunctions. And he isn't one of these guys who claims to never have problems, he knows he is jinxed. You name it...Glocks, HKs, Colts, etc. All of the malfunction in his hands. I will say, he does have a tendency to drop every kind of trigger doodad in his guns. And Lord if their is a magic paste or lube he will use it. Much fun.

kaiservontexas
01-11-17, 18:12
Tarus, Century Arms, and Bushmaster were the first firearms I acquired, and I learned well from those purchases. Taurus became Glock, Bushmaster became my own lower build with a LaRue DMR 16 upper, and I traded the com bloc stuff for three Mauser rifles. That was my bad luck with firearms, which really was a ignorance issue.

SteyrAUG
01-11-17, 19:10
I have had EXCELLENT luck with handguns. I chalk it up to (1) only buy quality an almost never modify and (2) I just use Rem Oil or Hoppes or CLP or regular gun oil, I don't try to reinvent the wheel or chase magic oils. When the regular stuff works, why change?

I have a very good friend who is ALWAYS having malfunctions. And he isn't one of these guys who claims to never have problems, he knows he is jinxed. You name it...Glocks, HKs, Colts, etc. All of the malfunction in his hands. I will say, he does have a tendency to drop every kind of trigger doodad in his guns. And Lord if their is a magic paste or lube he will use it. Much fun.

I know a guy who liberally white greases every firearm he owns. Has issues from time to time, thinks it means he isn't using enough white grease.

williejc
01-11-17, 21:49
White grease goes nicely on my front gate hinges. I'm convinced that all of it's not created equal. I did learn that the carrier in aerosol spray white grease(lithium)caused very gummy/sticky deposits on my truck door hinges. This application would really screw up a gun.

RobertTheTexan
01-11-17, 22:03
[QUOTE=RobertTheTexan;2438394]

Bar 20.

If about honor and integrity then I'm in and ride too the end.