PDA

View Full Version : EOTech on an M4- 552 or 557 ?

ElectricFactory
09-17-08, 18:05
After several bleary eyed evenings of reading I think I've settled on the EOTech for my newest M4-type carbine. The distances this carbine will be put to are in the 100-500-yd category.
I considered the Accupoint variable 1-4x but decided it too big a package for an M4.
Which EOTech - 552 or 557 are you using ? If you're using the 557.223 BDC, your impressions ?
Thanks very much to all repliers, I do a lot of reading here and greatly appreciate the depth of practical and hands-on experience from which to learn.

parker7777
09-17-08, 19:13
If I were buying a eotech now, it would be a 552.

LettersFromEarth
09-17-08, 20:42
Go 552 if you must have the EoTech. I have one and its been good so far. I do feel that it (512/552) sits too low and that the LaRue mount is a must have as it raises the optic up enough for a 1/3rd CW. Also, heed these words--Lithium batteries ONLY. Cheers.

ElectricFactory
09-17-08, 21:07
Go 552 if you must have the EoTech. .

Would like to know what your alternate sighting suggestion might be ?

Robb Jensen
09-17-08, 21:33

I'm just guessing but I'd say Aimpoint M4S........

ElectricFactory
09-17-08, 21:35
I'm just guessing but I'd say Aimpoint M4S........

M4S in a Cantilever Mount ? What do you think that set up would price out at ?

Robb Jensen
09-17-08, 21:38
M4S in a Cantilever Mount ? What do you think that set up would price out at ?

Looks like $702....http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=226

LettersFromEarth
09-17-08, 22:27

Shoot...I didnt mean for you to take my comments that way. Im, somewhat anyway, an EoTech fan (one is on my "Custom Cruiser") so I did not mean to bash the 552 in anyway. I just meant that if that is the make you have decided then by all means go that way but do it w/the 552. Right now I think that the 552 is the best (from a QC standpoint) that L-3 EoTech is currently producing. There have been reported problems w/the newer lines of HWS's and it might not be advisable to go the route of 557. Did I make more sence? LOL

As far as an "alternate" goes...T-1/LaRue mount. AimPoints M4S is darn near as groovy as it gets but if you feel the AccuPoint/LaRue combo is too big for your carbine you may develope a like thought regarding your weapon sporting an M4S. Im not saying it is, isnt, wont, or will regarding that but then again I dont share your views about the AccuPoint and its size. In fact--the AccuPoint/SPR-E is my choice for carbine glass most of the time. Good Luck and Stay Safe. :-)

ElectricFactory
09-17-08, 22:51
In fact--the AccuPoint/SPR-E is my choice for carbine glass most of the time. Good Luck and Stay Safe. :-)

I really appreciate your input, very much so ! Would you have any post-able pics of your carbine/ Accupoint/ Larue combination ? Did the Accupoint reticle take some getting used to ? As it happens I know someone selling that exact package used but excellent condition for 625.00.

By the way, where does the Leupold MK4 CQ/T fit into your thinking ?

Bushytale
09-18-08, 01:53
the CQ/T is a no go. Go with an Accupoint with the amber triangle or an ACOG.
I would not pick an Aimpoint or Eotech with the 500 yard range in mind.

sewvacman
09-18-08, 08:27
I just recently sold my eotech 552 because after about a 100 yds or so my old eyes just couldn't make out much with it. CQB I feel it to be the best thing out there. That said I sold it to buy an accupoint with a larue mount, $705 from Grant. I haven't received it yet but I tried one out in gander mountain and feel I need the extra magnification for the longer shots.

LettersFromEarth
09-18-08, 10:22
An AccuPoint/SPR-E combo is hard to beat. While some folks bash the CQ/T it is a good optic for some folks who know a thing or two about glass, weapons and how to use both.
One (and there are more than one) of the beefs I hear regarding the CQ/T is its "...like looking through a straw" FOV. Go pick one up and see for yourself (and also look at Leupy's published numbers for it) and you may notice that it is far from "straw" like IMO.

Now, having said all that, the AccuPoint is the better of the two on several fronts. But you really should do the leg work and figure out what some of those fronts are as you may disagree with what I or anyone else has said regarding same. Cheers