PDA

View Full Version : Where's the PSA chf nitride barrel from?

JG007
01-10-17, 11:07
The normal chf 'double chrome' is obviously FN, but I saw they listed chf nitride. Doesn't Daniel defense do that? Where is psa sourcing those?

ScottsBad
01-11-17, 19:20
The normal chf 'double chrome' is obviously FN, but I saw they listed chf nitride. Doesn't Daniel defense do that? Where is psa sourcing those?

Probably Bubba's barrel making and bait shop.

phixion
01-12-17, 09:56

They are made in-house by PSA.

These are PSA Freedom Hammer Forged Barrels - Nitride treated. This is the next logical step in non-chrome lined barrels, bringing the durability of hammer forged barrel steel to the affordable and accurate Freedom line of uppers.

The new Freedom Hammer Forged barrels are not made by FN, they are PSA barrels.

wildcard600
01-12-17, 11:00
They are made in-house by PSA.

PSA can't afford to hire a second guy for their shipping department but can buy a hammer forging machine ? I find that hard to believe.

C4IGrant
01-12-17, 11:44
PSA can't afford to hire a second guy for their shipping department but can buy a hammer forging machine ? I find that hard to believe.

No, they do not have a hammer forged machine. They are being made by FN for them and then outsourced to another company for meloniting.

C4

JG007
01-13-17, 23:11
So they have two options, the standard chf 'double chrome', and a chf non chromed that is subsequently melonited?

And im trying to recall, are there just three chf machines, FN, DD, and ruger?

SomeOtherGuy
01-14-17, 10:31
So they have two options, the standard chf 'double chrome', and a chf non chromed that is subsequently melonited?
And im trying to recall, are there just three chf machines, FN, DD, and ruger?

At minimum Remington / Freedom Group also has its own CHF machine (or several?). I'm going to speculate that FN and Ruger might own more than one each. That's just in the USA, plenty of overseas companies have them, though probably not relevant to PSA barrels. There may be others in the USA too. They are expensive, but not THAT expensive when compared to other production-scale machinery, like really good CAM machining equipment.

Mrgunsngear
01-14-17, 19:14
At minimum Remington / Freedom Group also has its own CHF machine (or several?). I'm going to speculate that FN and Ruger might own more than one each. That's just in the USA, plenty of overseas companies have them, though probably not relevant to PSA barrels. There may be others in the USA too. They are expensive, but not THAT expensive when compared to other production-scale machinery, like really good CAM machining equipment.

I've been on the FN shop floor---they have quite a few.

26 Inf
01-14-17, 22:21

IIRC not to long ago I read something about IWI getting a CHF to produce barrels.

gotuinmysights
01-15-17, 10:34
I thought you couldn't nitride a CHF barrel because the heat from the bath will stress relive the barrel and warp the rifling.

BrigandTwoFour
01-15-17, 13:18
I thought you couldn't nitride a CHF barrel because the heat from the bath will stress relive the barrel and warp the rifling.

No, that applies more towards stainless barrels which have lower stress relief temps. It can still be done so long as the people doing it have a strong grasp on what they are doing.

JC5188
01-15-17, 13:47

LWRC I believe also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODgreenpizza
01-15-17, 16:27
I would think the forging process would beat any residual stresses out of the barrel blank. Either that or the blanks are stress relieved prior to forging.

JG007
01-15-17, 16:30
Doesn't psa also sell chf ss barrels?

Hkbeltfed
01-16-17, 12:33

Yes, they do.

10MMGary
01-16-17, 13:36

They sure do and have a 20 inch SS barreled upper for sale as I type.

MegademiC
01-16-17, 16:05
I would think the forging process would beat any residual stresses out of the barrel blank. Either that or the blanks are stress relieved prior to forging.

Doesn't forging introduce stresses into the barrel?
I always thought working put stresses in and heat relieved them.

stankyhollywood
01-20-17, 13:51
Maybe a typo but im sure fn makes all chf barrels for psa

Iraqgunz
01-20-17, 14:41
Please read more, and post less. The answer was provided.

Maybe a typo but im sure fn makes all chf barrels for psa

ODgreenpizza
01-20-17, 16:55
Doesn't forging introduce stresses into the barrel?
I always thought working put stresses in and heat relieved them.

It's all about getting uniform and symmetrical grain structure orientation in the part. This can be done by subjecting the part to a precise time and temperature controlled heat up and cool down cycle. In the case of hammer forged barrels I suspect the brute force of the hammer forge coupled with the heat generated by the hammer forging process is able to achieve the ideal grain structure for a stress free barrel.

stankyhollywood
01-21-17, 09:17
Please read more, and post less. The answer was provided.
Likewise! Thank you!

NWcityguy2
01-21-17, 13:30
PSA has already said that FN is not the one making these barrels, on TOS, about 4 months ago.

phixion
01-21-17, 17:20
This.

PSA has already said that FN is not the one making these barrels, on TOS, about 4 months ago.

Again, the quote from PSA:

These are PSA Freedom Hammer Forged Barrels - Nitride treated. This is the next logical step in non-chrome lined barrels, bringing the durability of hammer forged barrel steel to the affordable and accurate Freedom line of uppers.

The new Freedom Hammer Forged barrels are not made by FN, they are PSA barrels.

MegademiC
01-21-17, 20:50
I guess the next thing is to define made.

Forging? Chambering? Profiling? Finishing?

Hkbeltfed
01-21-17, 21:42
Wonder what the cage code is on the label? Assuming there is one. The chrome lined CHF barrels I've purchased from them have the FN cage code.

NWcityguy2
01-21-17, 22:06
I guess the next thing is to define made.

Forging? Chambering? Profiling? Finishing?

I'm not understanding the source of the delusions on this topic. PSA has always advertised FN made barrels as being such. Maybe Grant can show back up and drop some more source-less information about how this time, it's different.

phixion
01-21-17, 23:18
PSA has a barrel shop and has been making a lot of their barrels in-house as of late.

When asked if they are doing the CHF in-house, their reply:

We have been stepping up our game in several areas...

Also, the CHF chrome-lined barrels are still supplied by FN and according to PSA:

FN sourced barrels will remain a staple of PSA as long as FN has the capacity, and the public has the desire to purchase them.

And while ultimately not worth anything in regards to facts, an account by someone who got a tour of their facility:

nah, pretty much sworn to secrecy before the tour. It was amazing... and Jamin is passionate about this industry. the facility where they are at is HUGE, and has lots of things going on at once.. very impressive, As much of a fanas i was about PSA, since then its only increased. after talking to Jamin for 45 min or more, i have gained a lot of respect for him, and Joe. Those guys are pretty top notch.

Rest assured, PSA is alive, well, and thriving in ways you cant comprehend... heck i didnt know the extent until then. mind bogging and impressive is no where close to describing things.

Take all of that for what you deem it worth.

wildcard600
01-22-17, 00:09
PSA has a barrel shop and has been making a lot of their barrels in-house as of late.

When asked if they are doing the CHF in-house, their reply:

Also, the CHF chrome-lined barrels are still supplied by FN and according to PSA:

And while ultimately not worth anything in regards to facts, an account by someone who got a tour of their facility:

Take all of that for what you deem it worth.

If they are actually making them in house, then good on them. However, seeing PSA's history of slowest shipping in the industry and overall poor QC I find the idea that they would invest the kind of money required for a barrel forging machine quite dubious. My last order with them for some "in stock" magpul stuff a few months back took literally a month and a half to ship and I still to this day have not received a single reply from the many emails I sent regarding that orders status.

I'm not trying to trash talk PSA, but if they can't hire a couple of people to fill orders/answer emails then the notion that they would lay out the kind of capital expenditure to make barrels is laughable. If they ARE in fact making barrels themselves, they should have spent that money to un**** their shipping/CS departments instead.

NWcityguy2
01-22-17, 00:23
Do you honestly believe that the fact they have a slow shipping department precludes them from buying a machine that hammer forges barrels? I'm not saying they do, and am in fact skeptical myself, but does what you said make any sense? For example: I am slow to get a hair cut, therefore I cannot buy a new car. Makes sense right?

Whether or not these barrels are being made in house by PSA, which they have implicitly claimed, it is safe to say they are not being made by FN, which they have explicitly stated.

Locutus
01-22-17, 10:25
If they are actually making them in house, then good on them. However, seeing PSA's history of slowest shipping in the industry and overall poor QC I find the idea that they would invest the kind of money required for a barrel forging machine quite dubious. My last order with them for some "in stock" magpul stuff a few months back took literally a month and a half to ship and I still to this day have not received a single reply from the many emails I sent regarding that orders status.

I'm not trying to trash talk PSA, but if they can't hire a couple of people to fill orders/answer emails then the notion that they would lay out the kind of capital expenditure to make barrels is laughable. If they ARE in fact making barrels themselves, they should have spent that money to un**** their shipping/CS departments instead.

I just ordered a rifle kit from PSA on Friday evening and I got a UPS tracking number on Saturday. It hasn't been picked up yet, but it is the weekend after all, so we'll see.

wildcard600
01-22-17, 11:39
Do you honestly believe that the fact they have a slow shipping department precludes them from buying a machine that hammer forges barrels? I'm not saying they do, and am in fact skeptical myself, but does what you said make any sense? For example: I am slow to get a hair cut, therefore I cannot buy a new car. Makes sense right?

Whether or not these barrels are being made in house by PSA, which they have implicitly claimed, it is safe to say they are not being made by FN, which they have explicitly stated.

I'm saying it makes bad business sense, and a smart company would go for the low hanging fruit of hiring a couple of order processors and CS reps before spending big cash on a niche machine.

To use your example, your plumbing is clogged and your furnace is out of fuel but you go and spend the money on a Ferrari instead. Sure your house is freezing and your standing ankle deep in your own feces, but you've got a bad ass car right ?

NWcityguy2
01-22-17, 16:50
Yes I'm sure we can both come up with some analogies, some less accurate that others, for a growing and successful business.

rabbitcop
01-22-17, 18:16
I'm really starting to get sick of people who make comments like "A smart business would do _____"

For those that do, where the hell is your multi-million dollar gun company? I'm sure if you had one, you wouldn't have time to make stupid comments

wildcard600
01-22-17, 20:12
I'm really starting to get sick of people who make comments like "A smart business would do _____"

For those that do, where the hell is your multi-million dollar gun company? I'm sure if you had one, you wouldn't have time to make stupid comments

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/
noun
1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

synonyms: meeting, assembly, gathering, rally, conference, seminar, convention, symposium, colloquium, caucus; informalget-together; formalcolloquy

"forums were held for staff to air grievances"

setting, place, scene, context, stage, framework, backdrop;medium, means, apparatus, auspices

"a forum for discussion"

flanntastic
01-22-17, 20:35
although it has nothing to do with CHF barrels, i heard PSA bought DC machine

MegademiC
01-22-17, 21:47

Edited:

You have no clue what your talking about.

rabbitcop
01-22-17, 21:49
Isn't that what I just did, wildcard? [emoji848]