PDA

View Full Version : Colonel CCW Blade

G17L
01-12-17, 14:45
Cool video by BCM. Has anyone tried the Colonel CCW Blade?
The idea of punching your way out is nothing new but wanted to hear opinions on how this blade compares to the more traditional push dagger design (something like the Cold Steel Edge).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6VBljVzBaE

clb
01-12-17, 18:43
Hit hard enough with most push daggers and they will roll in your hand. This blade will not do that. Throw a punch as hard as you can with it, it will not roll. If you can punch, you can use this blade effectively.

ggammell
01-12-17, 18:51
Handled a demo model only. Solid, almost Surprisingly so. Saw it driven into a picnic table with a fair amount of force. Table lost. That's when I realized how stout this thing is.

Dave James
01-13-17, 09:33
Been looking at this for a little while, think it would pass the Virginia reg's concerning push daggers, like the shape and the pommel as an added bit of help short of stabbing

Budget
01-13-17, 17:25
I'm carrying one at work right now. The sheath it comes with isn't bad, but I haven't had to roll around with it in there yet. Came with a practice blade which I thought was a nice touch and of course it wouldn't be a complete BCM package without stickers.

I picked this over the TDI and I definitely made the right choice. The blade feels secure in the hand, but again haven't got too much time with it.

ggammell
01-13-17, 17:42
I'm carrying one at work right now. The sheath it comes with isn't bad, but I haven't had to roll around with it in there yet. Came with a practice blade which I thought was a nice touch and of course it wouldn't be a complete BCM package without stickers.

I picked this over the TDI and I definitely made the right choice. The blade feels secure in the hand, but again haven't got too much time with it.

Is the blade sharpened on both sides or just one?

Budget
01-13-17, 17:45
Just one. False edge on the top.

G17L
01-13-17, 18:29

Did you go with the PRO or Low-Vz PRO?

Budget
01-14-17, 07:19
Did you go with the PRO or Low-Vz PRO?

Low-Vz simply because I thought it would be better in the clown suit. I'm thinking on a new sheath that's a little more flat. For EDC it's not noticeable, it just presses on my uniform weird.

Rattler5
01-19-17, 10:12
I can see it being used like a karambit and having similar strengths and weaknesses. I have trained with the karambit and would rather have a good fixed blade (kabar or other good fighting knife).

As someone who has studied mixed martial arts and has lots of knife experience, I notice that the demonstrators are just asking to have their fingers and knuckles broken. All that their opponents have to do is intercept the fist with an improvised weapon.

I am not a fan of using a knife especially a small one in a boxing (boxing does have its uses) pattern of attack. If you opponent picks up a stick or a rock or using their firearm as a bludgeon (assuming depleted ammunition) to intercept the hand, then the wielder of the colonel will have broken fingers and or or knuckles.

The demonstrators leave their legs exposed and their attacks are just begging to have their wrists slit if their opponent has a knife also.

Yes, the designer is correct about the thrust being the most deadly attack, but it can also easily lead to over-committing.

clb
01-19-17, 11:15
This knife is not used like a karambit. The guys showing how to use the knife have trained in many types of martial arts as well, including blade based arts, and have used blades in real world encounters.

Full disclosure: I have trained with and taught with all of the demonstrators in the video. The point you make about having fingers, etc broken is a point that could be made of any type of encounter. You don't have to like the blade, but most of your points are not specifically related to the blade, but personal protection in general.

Legs being exposed to what? A takedown attempt? if you want to try that on someone with any blade, good luck. A stick attack? Maybe. but then you are talking about different situations. Interecpt the hand? Not likely either. Real world knife encounters don't look like movies, and don't go like any rehearsed templates or forms.

The Colonel was designed to be a blade to put in your hand and punch with. No major training or years invested to truly know how to use it. Is it an answer to everything? Absolutely not. It is very effective for it's intended purpose though. A lot of real world people are carrying these. Even Paul Howe recently wrote about it in his monthly news letter.

krav51
09-10-18, 08:18
Legs being exposed to what? A takedown attempt? if you want to try that on someone with any blade, good luck. A stick attack? Maybe. but then you are talking about different situations. Interecpt the hand? Not likely eit.

Exactly,CLB.You just gotta love the internet don't you?I've been carrying a HOOVER HR1,for a while and really like it,but i think i'm going to purchase this one as well.Different knives but similar applications.And use objectives as well.

WillBrink
09-10-18, 09:20

I see several models on their site. What model is being used in the vid? What did you get? Seems like similar blades, but pretty wide price differences:

https://colonelblades.com/shop/

Gombey
09-14-18, 10:24
I picked up the NCO (cause I’m poor right now) a few months ago. The NCO came with a very lame sheath. I need to replace it, looking at the website it seems the prices have gone down and the sheaths have improved

Will, as to the differences. The Colonel is made in Italy w/higher quality steel and G10 grips. It also came w/a kydex holster. The NCO is made in Twain and came with an injection molded sheath and handles.

I think one of the blades are sharp on both sides.

WillBrink
09-14-18, 12:10
I picked up the NCO (cause I’m poor right now) a few months ago. The NCO came with a very lame sheath. I need to replace it, looking at the website it seems the prices have gone down and the sheaths have improved

Will, as to the differences. The Colonel is made in Italy w/higher quality steel and G10 grips. It also came w/a kydex holster. The NCO is made in Twain and came with an injection molded sheath and handles.

I think one of the blades are sharp on both sides.

Thanx. I ordered and NCO also. Will asses when it arrives. I noted the differences in the steel used, but AUS-8 appears to perfectly acceptable for that role, so I'm not gonna sweat that one.