PDA

View Full Version : When should I add a Micro T-2 to my KAC irons?

BallisticHarmony
01-13-17, 00:07
I've been doing some shooting at 100 yards with irons attempting to tighten groups with my MOD 2 MLOK. A few times I was able to shoot 4 MOA 5-shot groups with a 25-yard zero. I don't know how much better I can do since I can barely see the targets, even though I'm holding low due to the close zero.

At what point is it deemed acceptable to upgrade to a red dot? I really like the advantages that a Micro T-2 would give over a fixed or variable power scope and I think it would better fit the intended application of a 14.5" carbine, but I don't want to rush things if I should still be running irons.

Should I have a goal with my irons in mind?

Coal Dragger
01-13-17, 00:17
How is your eyesight? Any astigmatism?

I like both red dot sights and low power variables with a true 1X low end, and the low power variable is a lot more versatile. If you can barely see the targets at distance a magnified optic is going to help you see a lot better. Not necessarily shoot better, but seeing your target more clearly is probably going to result in better practical accuracy under more conditions.

Also your results may vary greatly at 100 yards depending on the ammunition you are using, most bulk 5.56mm ball ammo is not going to do much better than 2.0-3.0 MOA through most barrels from a machine rest.

Plato
01-13-17, 00:21
My astigmatism brought me to the Trijicon TA-44.

I love it.

BallisticHarmony
01-13-17, 00:25
Eyesight's good, 20/20 according to MEPS and I'm in my early twenties.

Ammo was Peak Peformance brass reman, 28 cents/round.

I agree that a variable would be more versatile, but the Micro doesn't have eye relief or parallax issues and I don't plan on shooting anything past 200 yards on a regular basis.

MistWolf
01-13-17, 01:14
Go ahead and get an RDS. You can switch back and forth between the optic and iron sights any time you want

Iraqgunz
01-13-17, 01:16
See this- https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?13-Optics-amp-Mounts