PDA

View Full Version : Trimming takedown detent spring?

jrcii
01-14-17, 07:55
Hello all,

I'm building a new rifle using an Aero lower. The hole for the takedown detent spring on this lower is tapped for a set screw, and I'm going to use it. The screw I'm using is 1/8" long. Should I trim the spring down 1/8" also? I imagine if I didn't it would put more force on the detent. I don't know if this is a problem or not.

Thanks,

JRC

NWshooter
01-14-17, 10:43
I usually put the takedown pin, detent and the spring in with the detent and spring touching the takedown pin I clip the remaining amount of spring sticking out flush, with the back of the he reciever. I have built several Aero lowers using this method and It has always worked for me

308sako
01-14-17, 10:44
Short answer yes, but have you tried it at current length for tension first? There is a tutorial on TOS BTW.

rfmanning
06-26-17, 19:26
Short answer yes, but have you tried it at current length for tension first? There is a tutorial on TOS BTW.

TOS ???

MegademiC
06-26-17, 20:01
I would install it as is first. If there is a problem, then we can make suggestions, but without defining a problem, I can't suggest much other than leave it as is.

Smokin338
06-27-17, 03:31
The couple I have built with the set screw, I've never have had to shorten the spring...

markm
06-27-17, 14:24
TOS ???
The other site. Where brain cells are few and far between.