PDA

View Full Version : LMT Tactical And Troy Flip Up rear Sights

Killer Angel
09-18-08, 02:09
Between the LMT Tactical and Troy Flip Up Rear Sights,which would make a better BUIS for an Aimpoint Red Dot Sight?And why?For your information,I shall be retaining the Original(Standard)Front sight of my Colt M4A1 Carbine.
Thanks.

spamsammich
09-18-08, 03:14
Do you plan on having a magnifier for your aimpoint? If so, you can't use the LMT.

Killer Angel
09-18-08, 03:32
Do you plan on having a magnifier for your aimpoint? If so, you can't use the LMT.

No.I don't intend to get a magnifier.
Thanks.

adh
09-18-08, 09:03
any answer you get will be 100% opinion. It's all about what works for you. That being said, there are advantages to both.
IMO
#1 advantage to the Troy is that it will not oscure your FOV at all when not in use.

#1 advantage to the LMT, and the reason I use that on my M4, is that once you get used to it as being a part of your FOV, if your optic goes down, your BUIS is always up and ready to go.

Another nice thing about the LMT is that it is a more robust sight and mounts as a very stout single unit (not that the troy is more than a single unit but I think the point makes sense). That being said, I have never heard of a Troy failing in any way shape or form, and I do own a Troy front/rear set on my Recce type AR. I doubt that you'd be disappointed either way.

RD62
09-18-08, 10:32
Either option is GTG in my opinion. The LMT is a little less expensive, but as mentioned is obviously always in your line of sight. This is not a problem for me personally.

Best advice I can give is to try and shoot both and see which you prefer, and go with that.

-RD62

rreynol
09-18-08, 12:48
I have one already (Troy) and will have the other (LMT) shortly so let me tell you what I think.

On the AR that I have an optic on, I went Troy. I like that it folds down and out of the way. If I wanted it to be in my sight picture permanently, I could just leave it up all the time.

Realizing that I wanted to spend more time learning the iron sights, I built another AR. On this one, I went with the LMT because it is functionally identical to the A2 sight system without taking up the entire rail (like a carry handle would).

spamsammich
09-18-08, 13:49
Yes, one of the advantages of the LMT is the elevation wheel. If you are in a situation without magnified optics but still need to take a long shot, you can adjust the elevation and not have to resort to holding over your target. I run both sights and would recommend the LMT for any gun that didn't need NV or a scope.

Another plus for having the BUIS immediately available for me is the small aperture tightens up my red dots, astigmatism makes them kinda fuzzy for me without help or corrective lenses. With the Troy it takes a touch longer to deploy and flip the aperture. I can see myself totally forgetting this in the heat of the moment unless I just keep it up all the time, which will be impossible for some of my rifles.