PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Race glock barrel comparison

VIP3R 237
01-15-17, 17:42
I found this very interesting test with a good selection of aftermarket barrels for Glocks. I'm surprised with how many of the premium barrels did worse than the factory barrel.

http://www.victorygunblog.com/blog/barrelrace17

A few months back we announced our plans to pitt as many Glock 17 barrels as we could get our hands on against each other in a head-to-head accuracy test. Why did we want to run this test? When describing a Glock’s accuracy the phrase “combat accurate” often comes up. We have certainly found this to be true. They are no slouch in the accuracy department, but they aren't quite what people would describe as “match grade” handguns. We have found that with good trigger control Glock’s can make easy torso hits at 50 yards. However the today's competitive sports sometimes demand hit out to 100 yards and on unforgiving targets in short timeframes. It’s no surprise that many shooters at the top of the competitive field have turned to platforms with multiple locking lugs, bushing fit bull barrels, and sliding triggers. Even in a defensive handgun where reliability is valued over raw precision. If you could get more accuracy. Wouldn’t you want to.

JRead100
01-15-17, 18:35
Darn you... making me reconsider my impending SilencerCo threaded barrel purchase. Good info.

ggammell
01-15-17, 19:57
I was considering a build around an S3F barrel. Then I saw the P&S post which showed KKM shining. Then I started finding out what pros use overseas. KKM. Now this. I see a trend.

nml
01-15-17, 23:12
factor. From what I have *heard* there is a huge difference between stock barrels. Grant from G&R is very knowledgeable may be able to provide his experience.

CAVDOC
01-16-17, 09:00
My stock glocks ( with the exception of sights) hold a sub 3 inch 25 yard group. For any application you would use a carry/defensive type gun for you really can't demand much more. In the above post I do not see where these 100 yard shots are being taken in pistol competition. I have been into competitive shooting since the 1980's and only saw a 100 yard target in a match a few times. I ran a match many years ago and putting a target at 50 yards let alone 100 had me called all sorts of dirty names.

BlahBlah
01-16-17, 09:12
That is some great testing! Yes, it could've been made even better by using each barrel in multiple guns, having more than one barrel from each manufacturer, and using more than one type of ammo in each bullet weight... BUT... that is some of the most comprehensive "end user" testing that I've seen.

I shoot 147gr 9mm ammo exclusively in my Glocks. Based on other tests that I read, I bought an S3F barrel (I needed threaded anyway) for my main, go-to G19. In my gun, with my ammo, it does better than the factory barrel off a rest. It works for me.

T2C
01-16-17, 10:27
This is the kind of testing I like to read about. The comments on barrel twist rate fit my experience. My Springfield Armory R.O. has a 1:16 twist barrel and the 125g HAP bullet is the most accurate. A 115g HP ranks second and 147g HP ranks third in accuracy. The 147g is the softest shooting if loaded to 130 PF.

My Glock 17 groups best with 124g FMJ or 124g HP, which is interesting with a 1:9.84 twist barrel.

It's too bad they did not test a Bar-Sto barrel. I fitted one to my Glock 22 and it is noticeably more accurate than the OEM barrel.

Rattlehead
01-16-17, 13:17
It's too bad they did not test a Bar-Sto barrel.

No offense to anyone in the test but including Bar-Sto would have blown everything else out of the water completely.

TMS951
01-16-17, 15:33
I don't see Lone Wolf barrels in there either.

My experience is they are the same or less accurate than Glocks

Hart
01-16-17, 16:40
Could it be that Glock bins their barrels and fit checks to slide? Doesn't matter who's barrel you use if it doesn't or isn't fit to the slide. Drop in doesn't guarantee accuracy.

ST911
01-16-17, 17:22
It's too bad they did not test a Bar-Sto barrel.

Yes, that would've been one to include.

foxtrotx1
01-24-17, 16:26
I think you may need a larger sample size of guns to test this fully, since non of the barrels are fitted to the slide, some may fit that slide more than others.