PDA

View Full Version : Review - Fox Tactical 3-Day Assault Pack

automatic09
01-15-17, 19:55
Regardless of the activity you use it for, if you run one, your pack is at the center of your kit. From a student using their pack as a bookbag to an operator using it during combat, people depend on their packs to hold and protect some of their most important pieces of equipment. Choosing the right pack can be challenging in the oversaturated market, and you may not even know where to start—or you may have twenty packs boxed up in the closet. Whatever your situation, if you are even remotely thinking of purchasing a new pack, I propose giving Fox Tactical’s 3-Day Assault Pack a try.

I was looking for a beater bag to replace my surplus ALICE pack, which dated to the mid-seventies and smelled of stale BO with a slight hint of vomit. ALICE was dependable, and she will always have a special place in my heart, but I wanted something a little more updated. After catching glimpses of others using newfangled MOLLE packs, old ALICE suddenly wasn’t enough for me anymore. The next thing I knew, I had drove down to the local surplus store and bought the first MOLLE pack I saw on the rack.

Was this a smart decision? Hell no! I spent eighty dollars on a pack I later found on Amazon for only fifty, and my pride precluded me from returning it. I was initially bitter, but I’m now actually quite happy that I made the purchase, as I ended up with an excellent pack that far exceeded my expectations.

You have probably heard the beginning of the Rifleman’s Creed before: “This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.” That is how I feel about Fox’s 3-Day Assault Pack. There are many variations of the assault pack on the market, but Fox’s is my go-to bag. It weights slightly more than some of the competitor’s bags at 2.3 pounds, but this is because it is made of a heavy-duty 1200 denier material. Personally, I don’t mind the added weight because I know this bag won’t rip on me any time soon. I am free to throw it around and beat on it with confidence (speaking of which, stains wipe off this bag surprisingly easily, if you care about that sort of thing). Another nice quality about this bag is the many different compartments, which allows easy sorting (and thus easy access to your equipment). One such compartment has a port for a hydration pouch, should you choose to add one (it would also fit a laptop or tablet well).

I tend to overstuff my packs, so I am always worried that the zippers will fail. This pack has not let me down in that respect yet, and I don’t expect it to for a while (while on the subject, the pulls are big loops of 550 cord: strong, easily replaced, and easily manipulated with gloves on). If you run out of space inside the pack, there are reinforced MOLLE loops and Velcro strips covering the outside that allow you to attach additional pouches and other equipment. This modularity permits each user to create a unique setup tailored to their individual needs. I haven’t added much to my pack, but you can attach almost anything MOLLE-compatible or backed by Velcro—the world is your oyster!

https://s23.postimg.org/db8h2fjob/IMG_1578.jpg/
Here is my pack; as you can tell, I don't like adding much.

In case you haven’t noticed, there is a major subject I have yet to cover—comfort. To me, this is the most important aspect of any pack; if it isn’t comfortable, you won’t use it, and then it becomes useless. You know that I wouldn’t recommend it to you if I didn’t think it was comfortable, but this bag truly goes above and beyond in the comfort department. It has a padded back with recessed channels to allow airflow between the pack’s body and the user’s body, which makes a big difference if you plan to wear the pack for extended periods of time. Besides this, the bag also boasts a waist belt and sternum strap (both easily adjustable), which allows the user to greatly stabilize the bag. If you have ever tried running with a loose pack, you understand the importance of having these two features. While it doesn’t come with one, you can always install an internal frame if you find that you still need more stability.

Are there better packs out there? Certainly, but they will cost you. If you don’t need to have the very best (or can’t afford it, like me), this is the way to go. And for only fifty dollars (less if you catch it on sale), you really aren’t far off from those high-end packs anyway in terms of comfort, quality and durability. As I said before; if you are searching for a new bag, you really should consider Fox’s 3-Day Assault Pack.