PDA

View Full Version : magnified optics & EOTech questions/comments

royta
09-18-08, 07:58
I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section. Please move to the Optics & Mounts section if it is more appropriate there.

I currently have only one built up AR-15, but I wish to use it for more than one function. The upper is a Sabre Defence 16" mid-length flat top. I plan on having two sets of optics for it, but will have a Midwest Industries SPLP BUIS always mounted.

The primary optic for home defense and my git-n-go rifle will be an EOTech 512. I plan on using the ADM EOTech mount as soon as it is released.

My secondary optic will be a variable power scope with a ADM Recon-X mount which will be used in the sagebrush shooting coyotes or in the pastures shooting rockchucks & squirrels. However, I'm unsure on which magnification to get. My .22-250 sports a Sightron SII 4-16x42 with 1/8 tall turrets. This rifle has a 24" 1:12 twist Super-Match Stainless Steel barrel from Pac-Nor on it too. Obviously that is a scope I can use with my .22-250, but it would have no place on a 16" mid-length .223/5.56 barrel. Without having mounted a scope on my upper, I don't know what kind of accuracy the SDI 16" mid-length offers. The level of accuracy from this barrel dictates what kind of distances I can realistically use this rifle at. I am hoping to be able to shoot varmints/predators at up to 250 to 300 yards. I could very well be out of line on my expectations though. As I don't want a honkin' huge scope on this rifle, I was thinking a 2-7 would be just fine on this rifle.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Roy

royta
09-18-08, 17:23
Umm...please? :D