PDA

View Full Version : Q, the Fix rifle

mark5pt56
01-17-17, 07:08
Oh boy! Sure beats the lipstick on a pig mindset from most everyone out there. Some video's floating about from SHOT, ETC

http://liveqordie.com/product/rifles-by-q/the-fix-by-q/

lahunter57
01-17-17, 09:53
I love how light it is, I've been looking for something like that that doesn't weigh 15 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cougar_guy04
01-17-17, 10:43
Damn, I really like that . . . also like some of the calibers that they're talking about. Depending on the pricepoint, it would displace an R700 build I was looking at.

Hope this comes to market.

dmd08
01-17-17, 10:47
I've been following this for a couple months. Short throw bolt, lightweight, they say "under $3000".

mark5pt56
01-17-17, 11:35
Supposed to be about 2800. When you get done fiddle f'ing with that 700 and never making it what this is, you would be close in cost and double the weight and a bottle of pain killers for the troubles. Of course someone will list what they think is a comparable product built off of a 700 action in an attempt to justify what they have.

Damn, I really like that . . . also like some of the calibers that they're talking about. Depending on the pricepoint, it would displace an R700 build I was looking at.

Hope this comes to market.

cougar_guy04
01-17-17, 11:43
Supposed to be about 2800. When you get done fiddle f'ing with that 700 and never making it what this is, you would be close in cost and double the weight and a bottle of pain killers for the troubles. Of course someone will list what they think is a comparable product built off of a 700 action in an attempt to justify what they have.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking. At the base price for a 700 and a decent chassis, you're close to a third to halfway there and haven't even touched anything else.

fallenromeo
01-17-17, 13:30
You guys are right. This comes with a good looking, lightweight chassis, Bartlein barrel. For the price, it would be hard to touch if someone was trying to build up a R700. Only thing I can think of in defense of the 700 is if someone didn't want/like chassis systems and preferred a stock. Then they are coming out with the Magpul 700 which is pretty much a 700 5R in a magpul stock. The 5R is far and away a better rifle than your standard SPS tactical that most people start their builds on, and the only real upgrade to make on that would be a better trigger and a muzzle device. But it would also be heavier than this, so it would really just be preference of the shooter at that point.

I am not familiar with this company at all, anyone have any info on the trigger they use?

darr3239
01-17-17, 13:48
Q is Kevin Brittingham's new company, which is just starting to run. He is the founder of AAC.

call_me_ski
01-17-17, 13:49
It is Kevin Brittingham of AAC, Remington, and Sig Sauer fame. He Put together a team of talented industry veterans when starting the company. I am sure we will see great things from these guys in the future.

hotrodder636
01-17-17, 14:43
If this comes in less than 2800, I think that it has the potential to be a heck of a buy pending performance.

call_me_ski
01-18-17, 14:33
Kevin seems to really be doing things his way and is having fun doing it. Kevin's father Ken heads their customer service. Get this, his email is ken @ kevinwasanaccident.com

I admire their lighthearted not overly serious approach. It is refreshing after a decade of tactical overload. Marketing was something that Kevin always did well.

tom12.7
01-18-17, 17:57
I wouldn't mind adding a pound towards a good heavier barrel profile in the 16" .308 to take some heat. Even with the lighter barrel, I'm sure I'll end up with one, but sometimes you may want the ability to use it more frequently in time without hits opening up as much as a lighter barrel tends to.

mark5pt56
01-18-17, 19:07
Saw a post for barrel weight calculations, I don't know the formula, but depending on profile, 2.5-3 ounces per inch. A 22" barrel would almost give you a pound. A medium Palma profile at 22" would be your ticket if after that.

tom12.7
01-18-17, 19:21
I would like the option of a pound heavier good barrel profile barrel in a .308 16" barrel to absorb the heat to reduce influences that can come up with a higher firing frequency with lower mass barrels.

mark5pt56
01-18-17, 19:35
I would like the option of a pound heavier good barrel profile barrel in a .308 16" barrel to absorb the heat to reduce influences that can come up with a higher firing frequency with lower mass barrels.

Post on SH states they may offer extensions so you can do a custom barrel. Not sure if they will sell the gun minus a barrel or offer barrel upgrades from the base pricing. Option is to sell the stock barrel once obtained if they don't offer customization but do sell the extension.

JoshNC
01-21-17, 23:00
I'm very excited about this. I see a Q-fix in 6.5 creedmor with a S&B 5-20US in my future.

Kenneth
01-22-17, 00:55
Your gonna pay up now and wait for 3 years???

That's what I read on the Hide. 3-10 years to get one lmao.

mark5pt56
01-22-17, 07:37
A quote from SH from Dave Tooley (Tooley Custom Rifles). The following post state non adjustable 2.2 pound two stage.

Guys I've been doing the prototype barrels for Q and I will be doing the chamber work on the Bartlein's for Q. I know there will be a way to get replacement barrels. Feel free to PM me.
The trigger is not adjustable and I don't know what pull weight will be supplied on the production rifles but all the triggers that I've tried were great. Overall a very unique and advanced design.

themonk
01-22-17, 08:27
Handled both the Fix and the new Honey Badger at shot. The fix is super comfortable and lightweight. The action is very smooth and the rail has a nice profile.

The Honey Badger is just an awesome replacement for a sub gun. The PDW stock on the Honey Badger is the most comfortable PDW stock I have ever seen and I have been on a mission looking for the best one.

caporider
01-22-17, 09:42
Your gonna pay up now and wait for 3 years???

That's what I read on the Hide. 3-10 years to get one lmao.

LOL -- the Hide thread is talking about the wait to get a booth @ SHOT, not how long it's gonna take to get the rifle.

Kenneth
01-22-17, 09:43
LOL -- the Hide thread is talking about the wait to get a booth @ SHOT, not how long it's gonna take to get the rifle.

Well that makes a lot more sense.

Haha. What I get for running on no sleep yesterday 0.o

SpeedRacer
01-22-17, 10:59
Handled both the Fix and the new Honey Badger at shot. The fix is super comfortable and lightweight. The action is very smooth and the rail has a nice profile.

The Honey Badger is just an awesome replacement for a sub gun. The PDW stock on the Honey Badger is the most comfortable PDW stock I have ever seen and I have been on a mission looking for the best one.

I concur with this. Was lucky enough to get up in the Q suite (and the Q Ball, but that's another story) and get intimate with the Q lineup. Even though I'm not a bolt gun guy, the theory and engineering behind The Fix was impressive, and probably my favorite item at SHOT.

Honey Badger was awesome too, not that it's anything new but it definitely appears to be the fully evolved version of that concept.

Their suppressors were impressive as well, I especially liked the modular .22 can.

I'm definitely drinking the Q koolaid.

krm375
01-22-17, 12:05
looking forward to seeing both the Fix and HB 2.0 Tagging this for later.

BenY 2013
01-22-17, 15:52
I'm very anxious to see how this rifle holds up against some abuse. The cast aluminum body is the only thing that I question. I have a feeling that the engineering behind it is solid and well thought out. If barrels are readily available I see me selling my current bolt gun to pay for one of these!

Ben

themonk
01-22-17, 16:09
https://youtu.be/W1VQIcsHSAI

TacticalFun
01-22-17, 17:36
I'm very anxious to see how this rifle holds up against some abuse. The cast aluminum body is the only thing that I question. I have a feeling that the engineering behind it is solid and well thought out. If barrels are readily available I see me selling my current bolt gun to pay for one of these!

Ben
Why would the aluminum bother you? My nemo omen 300wm is aluminum and has held up fine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Kenneth
01-22-17, 18:40
One thing about the Fix is the weight. I like light weight guns just as much as most people but on a bolt gun you want some weight IMO.

Most competition bolt guns are 15+ pounds for a reason.

A 5.5 lb gun will beat you to death I would think. Even with a brake.

SpeedRacer
01-22-17, 19:13
One thing about the Fix is the weight. I like light weight guns just as much as most people but on a bolt gun you want some weight IMO.

Most competition bolt guns are 15+ pounds for a reason.

A 5.5 lb gun will beat you to death I would think. Even with a brake.

I think the biggest misunderstanding about the Fix is its intended application. It's not a competition gun by any means. I think people tend to view it in that light due to the current popularity and proliferation of competition/PRS style bolt guns hitting the market. Brittingham has stated the primary application is actually hunting, although there are obviously other applications where a lightweight suppressed bolt gun is desired as well. The reaction I saw at SHOT was about 50/50 people who didn't need/want/understand the rifle, and people who absolutely peed their pants after handling it. Definitely a niche gun.

Kenneth
01-22-17, 19:16
I think the biggest misunderstanding about the Fix is its intended application. It's not a competition gun by any means. I think people tend to view it in that light due to the current popularity and proliferation of competition/PRS style bolt guns hitting the market. Brittingham has stated the primary application is actually hunting, although there are obviously other applications where a lightweight suppressed bolt gun is desired as well. The reaction I saw at SHOT was about 50/50 people who didn't need/want/understand the rifle, and people who absolutely peed their pants after handling it. Definitely a niche gun.

That makes sense for a hunting gun and true I immediately looked at it as a PRS style gun.

It's a nice rifle but it doesn't make sense the more I think about it.

He made it to be a switch barrel where barreled can be swapped by the end user. The adjustability of the stock and the use of SR-25 mags.

All of those things hunters usually care nothing about.

fledge
01-22-17, 22:21
I care about those things as an elk hunter and shooter, though I'm not a competitive precision guy. This is at the top of my list when released. The ergonomics appear good, if it's anything like my AR10 I hunt with. A 6.5C with scope and bipod would give it ample weight.

Fireman1291
01-23-17, 12:56
https://youtu.be/W1VQIcsHSAI

Thanks for sharing my video.

I'm happy to answer any questions not answered in the above video. :)

BenY 2013
01-23-17, 15:27
Why would the aluminum bother you? My nemo omen 300wm is aluminum and has held up fine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It doesn't bother me, I'm just curious how it will hold up over time and abuse.

Ben

themonk
01-23-17, 15:31
It doesn't bother me, I'm just curious how it will hold up over time and abuse.

Ben

How's your AR lower/upper receiver holding up?

BenY 2013
01-23-17, 15:58
How's your AR lower/upper receiver holding up?

Just to be clear I'm not bashing the gun by any means, I'll most likely end up with one some day. Just stating the fact it's a new design and I'm curious about it, it's not an AR15 or AR10. I understand they too are made of aluminum; however, comparing the 2 is an apples to oranges comparison. I personally think it will hold up just fine, I'd just like to see it after it's been abused and shot several thousand times. I have no doubt that Kevin and his team would put out anything less than safe and durable. Just curious to see how it stands up. That is all.

Ben

DragonDoc
01-23-17, 16:26
I'd like to know how it measures up against the Ruger Precision Rifle. Looks like both offerings willing be competing in the same market segment.

dmd08
01-23-17, 17:11
For a 6.5 Creedmoor range gun I'm interested in the Tikka T3x Tac A1. For a lightweight, suppressor ready Elk gun in .300 WSM the Fix has my attention.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wilson1911
01-23-17, 17:34
Does anyone have any pics of groups at 300 or longer with it? He discusses many of the features in it, just like his other vids. But there is nothing stated on how accurate it is compared to a shoulder barreled action....or how they accomplished their accuracy to achieve ~99% of a bolt gun.

Other than the barrel being too short for any real speed, its not too bad.

Cold/Bore
01-23-17, 20:21

Ben

Is the unibody receiver actually cast? I thought for sure it was forged.

dmd08
01-23-17, 20:36
I thought so too but the article I read says cast.

Cold/Bore
01-23-17, 20:43
I thought so too but the article I read says cast.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I thought that since all serious AR-15s have forged aluminum receivers that "the fix's" receiver would also be forged. Investment casting is not as strong as forging, but a very good way to make complex and precise parts. For those interested:

Making it out of aluminum means it’s light, and if every aluminum-bodied, semi-auto .308 AR out there has so far managed not to blow the face off its user without Remington’s magic three-rings-of-steel force field, we’re OK with The Fix’s investment cast-aluminum body.
Q is using an advanced, cooled investment casting technology that gives them extremely precise control of the material’s shape, doing things for pennies that would cost dollars to do any other way.
“With the casting, what we end up with is the ability to make very complex shapes very inexpensively,” says Lessard. “That’s one of the reasons why this is going to be a $2,500 gun, not a $6,000 gun.”

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/we-knew-q-llc-was-going-to-make-next-gen-ars-and-silencers-but-we-didnt-expect-the-fix-122186.html#ixzz4Wdupl2fe

Fireman1291
01-24-17, 05:51

We cover ALL of this and more in the interview video above. ;)

sjoliat
02-12-17, 08:58
Looking at the available cartridges, they list 338 Creedmoor. Anyone know anything about this? Guessing it's 6.5 Creed necked up to 338?:confused:

tom12.7
02-12-17, 09:28
Pretty sure that's a typo.

jmnielsen
02-12-17, 10:17
Looking at the available cartridges, they list 338 Creedmoor. Anyone know anything about this? Guessing it's 6.5 Creed necked up to 338?:confused:

Curious about this as well. I'm guessing it isn't a typo.

BenY 2013
02-12-17, 20:44
Would really like to see them eventually offer a .223 chambering for the rifle. Would make perfect hunting rifle for my neck of the woods!

Ben

krm375
07-09-17, 14:24
These shipping yet? Im looking for a short 16 inch bolt for hunting and plinking in the Eastern US.

tom12.7
07-12-17, 17:16
These shipping yet? Im looking for a short 16 inch bolt for hunting and plinking in the Eastern US.
I wouldn't know about the volume of them shipping yet, but I was told about a shipment inbound over the last weekend for one. I haven't followed up on that yet, but I would expect that it made it there.

tom12.7
07-21-17, 20:55
I received a confirmation photo of delivery. If travel time permits, I'll have hands on time Sunday with a 3-18 optic and mount borrowed from on of my SR-25s.

Noodles
08-01-17, 11:09
I received a confirmation photo of delivery. If travel time permits, I'll have hands on time Sunday with a 3-18 optic and mount borrowed from on of my SR-25s.

My man.... Don't leave us hanging here.

tom12.7
08-01-17, 17:09
I'm trying not to, I just need some more time to do it.

Noodles
08-29-17, 12:00
I'm trying not to, I just need some more time to do it.

Well?

tom12.7
08-29-17, 18:08
So far, I like it, easy bolt throw, nice trigger, and lightweight. Accuracy is pretty good so far, but I'm not done working up some loadings yet. I'm still working a few things out and have been busy with many other new offerings from all over the firearm world on limited time. For what I've done so far, I wouldn't mind the option of having more barrel mass to tame down some recoil and take the heat of strings better. What I'm really looking forward to is testing the "cherry bomb" adaptable cans for this, whenever they transfer.

TXBK
08-29-17, 20:26
So, would you say that the Fix would fulfill its intended role as a lightweight hunting rifle, where 1 to a few
shots is what's expected? Of course, more weight would make it more shootable for more rounds. What optic do you have installed? Is the light weight worth the trade-off?

tom12.7
08-30-17, 03:48
Pretty much so, it's not a one and done deal at all, just better to take your time when shooting volume.
MK6 3-18x Horus borrowed off a SR-25 for now.
I like it, it's worth it to me at least, but I would like to see another barrel profile as an option.

darr3239
11-07-17, 10:48
Any updates on the Q, accuracy wise, by anyone?

Seems the Fix has been out long enough for folks to have done a decent amount of load work ups.

tom12.7
11-07-17, 16:42
I'm still working on it, waiting on some F3's to clear on the cans for testing.

darr3239
11-09-17, 00:38
You need to test for accuracy without the cans, so............

tom12.7
11-10-17, 18:22
It's not like I haven't tested anything for this, It's more like I haven't tested enough yet.
Basically, it can shoot pretty well without going out of the norms at this point, but it is hard to say about other variables without testing them if that makes any sense.
When I'm able to collect more data points in a climate controlled 300M warehouse over night, bench rest style, I'll know more.

Jwknutson17
02-20-18, 08:24
Tom12.7,

Any updates on your findings the last 4 months? I'm seriously considering snagging one of these up and also putting a 3-18 Mk6 on it. Or other lighter weight 3-15ish optic.

I'm more on the lines of the hunting 3 shot in same hole and move on, with LW barrels, for that intended purpose I'm after. I am assuming this fits the bill.

It's not like I haven't tested anything for this, It's more like I haven't tested enough yet.
Basically, it can shoot pretty well without going out of the norms at this point, but it is hard to say about other variables without testing them if that makes any sense.
When I'm able to collect more data points in a climate controlled 300M warehouse over night, bench rest style, I'll know more.

call_me_ski
02-20-18, 10:55
Not about the fix but I would look at the 3.6-18x44 Mark 5HD. Leupold took the criticism of the Mark 6 and took it to heart plus it is the first of the Mark series to use the HD glass from Leupold’s hunting lines. Initial reviews seem to indicate that the glass and turrets are the best of the Mark series while being cheaper than both the Mark 6 and Mark 8.

Clint
02-20-18, 16:00
Tom's been out of action for a while, but these Q cans do look great, especially the QD versions.

Jwknutson17
03-29-18, 17:39
Well I picked up a Q the fix this afternoon. Low 200s serial off the preorder from a dealer. In 6.5. I'll have to do a little write up when I have some time after getting rounds through it. Will be a few weeks. I have a new in box Minox ZP5 5-25 here going on it. Spuhr sp-4002 showing up Saturday. And picked up the 308 barrel from Q showing up Wednesday. They were all out of the muzzle adaptor to run standard muzzle devices. So I will be running the factory cherry bomb in my initial go.

I'll report back when I get some rounds through it. The barrel profile is much thicker on the 6.5 then I was thinking and would be able to sustain some decent strings of fire. Maybe the 308 16" is the thinner barrel...? Can't recall.

Dist. Expert 26
04-02-18, 12:28
Well I picked up a Q the fix this afternoon. Low 200s serial off the preorder from a dealer. In 6.5. I'll have to do a little write up when I have some time after getting rounds through it. Will be a few weeks. I have a new in box Minox ZP5 5-25 here going on it. Spuhr sp-4002 showing up Saturday. And picked up the 308 barrel from Q showing up Wednesday. They were all out of the muzzle adaptor to run standard muzzle devices. So I will be running the factory cherry bomb in my initial go.

I'll report back when I get some rounds through it. The barrel profile is much thicker on the 6.5 then I was thinking and would be able to sustain some decent strings of fire. Maybe the 308 16" is the thinner barrel...? Can't recall.

I'm very interested to hear what you've got to say about it. Particularly in the accuracy department.

Jwknutson17
04-02-18, 20:07
I'm very interested to hear what you've got to say about it. Particularly in the accuracy department.

I will let you know with both the 6.5 and 308.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/882/39387574520_89513f65e2_c.jpg

Jwknutson17
04-06-18, 20:35
308 barrel arrived. And it is a LW taper profile. Excited about that. Here is a few pics showing the difference. Going to get this sucker out tomorrow and I'll report back.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/805/40572272824_ea75b8f77e_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24Pevcf)IMG_20180406_100450 (https://flic.kr/p/24Pevcf)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/881/27413374088_538a38c187_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/HLqH3Q)IMG_20180406_100338 (https://flic.kr/p/HLqH3Q)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/790/40572279984_ea3cd06694_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24PexjG)

CalmlyDeMented
07-02-18, 15:12
[QUOTE=Jwknutson17;2616208]308 barrel arrived. And it is a LW taper profile. Excited about that. Here is a few pics showing the difference. Going to get this sucker out tomorrow and I'll report back.
Any Updates? I held one at a shop in Columbus, GA when I was down shooting the All-Army earlier this year. It felt pretty amazing for just the few minutes I got to finger it.

fourXfour
07-02-18, 16:24
I have absolutely no reason to buy one, but I'm digging the 8.6 option.

https://youtu.be/RVchYB2vOjg

Jwknutson17
07-05-18, 09:56
I have a few hundred through the 308 barrel right now. Out to 700 yards. FGMM 175 smk go 2525 fps through it. Shot it out to 700 so far at roughly 5.5 mils of elevation. Very consistent hits and gun works really really well. It's hard to describe how it feels. It's half the weight of my Cadex rifles. For the money, capabilities, and the weight there isn't much like it. Especially for a LW Hunter. I would recommend it for someone who doesn't want to spend AXMC money but has most of the same features. It kinda feels cheap when you first pull it out of the box. But get some time behind it and add an optic and a suppressor on the shorter barrel, and your still under the weight of a stripped AI or other chassis gun. Everything is machined to such tight tolerances and fit/finish is fantastic. The lighter shorter barrels make this rifle what it is. I had Dave Tooley chop the 22 inch 6.5 barrel to 17 inches and it took a pound off the front of the rifle.

The 8.6 has zero appeal to me. Unless you want a SBR bolt gun that shoots 250gr subs at about 100 yards.. and you need a 338 suppressor... Nope. Maybe it fills some small nitch for a few folks, but I don't see that combo doing anything at all for me.

The 300 wsm is what I would be after in a 23 inch barrel for a LW high country elk Hunter. Hopefully they get off the pot and release it like they mentioned 2 years ago now.

Jwknutson17
07-16-18, 21:38
I wanted to comment on the ability to hold zero after completely disassemble, putting in another barrel. Putting it back together. And then going back to the original barrel. Without confirming zero or anything. I was able to get a first round hit at 700 yards within a few inches of where I was aiming. So the gun, completely disassembled including the top rail, handguard, barrel, bolt, optic/mount complete apart and back together 2 times, held zero at 700. This to me is pretty incredible. But I believe is because everything has such tight tolerances and the fit is very tight. Big plus for the return to zero with barrel swaps. Rifle continues to impress.

CFII
07-28-18, 12:17
Thanks for the insight. I am very interested in the 308 version with its short barrel. I see it as a do-all rifle. I need to put hands on one locally.

Jwknutson17
08-09-18, 21:36
Thanks for the insight. I am very interested in the 308 version with its short barrel. I see it as a do-all rifle. I need to put hands on one locally.

If your in CO give me a shout. You can get some rounds through my rifle.