PDA

View Full Version : "High Flight" or WTF?

Dienekes
01-17-17, 14:20
Saw this...then I noticed that the Air Force Academy headmistress was a 3 star:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/17/air-force-general-uses-387g-in-taxpayer-funds-to-renovate-foyer.html

When Robin Olds became superintendent in '69 or so, he was a one star BG and retired as such. I guess this gal is three times as good as Olds.

My Gawd.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – A foyer leading to a three-star general's office has been renovated at a cost to taxpayers of $387,000.

The Gazette reports the renovation bill was about $130,000 more than the average price of a home in the Pikes Peak region.

Air Force Academy officials declined to give out a detailed list of how the money was spent.

Academy spokesman Lt. Col. Allen Heritage said the total cost was approved by a committee as well as the Pentagon.

About $16,000 went toward resolving concerns over fire codes.

Other changes include new carpet and lighting.

Heritage said Superintendent Lt. Gen. Michelle Johnson attracts many guests.

He said about 800 visitors see the foyer annually.

SteyrAUG
01-17-17, 15:44
Her entire office shouldn't cost $387,000 let alone a damn foyer renovation. Especially when median house prices in the area are about $250,000. Doesn't sound like she is competent in the administration area of things. She needs a nice cubicle with a folded cardboard desk to help figure out costs and budgets.

Somewhere is a guy who can't get the treatment he needs and the VA is dickering with him over some amount like $10,000 which he doesn't have so he can't get what he needs. Figure if Michelle Johnson opted for a normal office setting, the money saved could help 25 guys who have done a lot more for their country and are in more dire need.

Maybe the local Veterans hospital can wheel over a few vets who can't afford what they need to look at the awesome new foyer and they might be inspired to better health.

Big A
01-17-17, 16:10
This thread needs more badassery
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/d6ca0a1e359797d31a73b5a29b153bd2.jpg

That should about do it...

ggammell
01-17-17, 16:20
My god...

That mustache!

SteyrAUG
01-17-17, 16:57
My god...

That mustache!

And he was married to Ella Raines.

http://crazywebsite.com/Free-Galleries-01/Girls/Photos_WWII_Vintage_Pinups-2/1940s_Yank_pin_up_girls_Raines_Ella-6LGEX.jpg

Guy flew P-38s to F4s. Talk about living the dream.

By contrast, Michelle Johnson is famous for playing on the Air Force Falcons women's basketball team. How does someone who mostly flew refueling flights get to be put in charge of anything?

Firefly
01-17-17, 17:12
By contrast, Michelle Johnson is famous for playing on the Air Force Falcons women's basketball team. How does someone who mostly flew refueling flights get to be put in charge of anything?

Deep down we all know why. I think my first lesson in disillusionment came when someone who had no felony arrests, no exceptional training, never been in a fight, and only had a GED was put in a position above me. Then tried to "lecture" me.

We did not become friends.

That's the world. That's life. It's been touched on in other threads. For every guy who does the work there is someone of a "protected" background who shows up, drinks coffee, runs their mouth, and goes home and they end up in charge of people.

Just from the picture alone of Gen. Olds with his tired gaze and camo helmet inspires me to listen to him automatically over some Felecia.

But that's just my opinion...

ETA If it comes out later on down the line that Johnson did some hardcore Stargate hopping and was dropping Go'auld like the plague; I humbly retract my insinuation of her being a Felecia.

Otherwise I stand by my slight.

SteyrAUG
01-17-17, 20:27
Deep down we all know why. I think my first lesson in disillusionment came when someone who had no felony arrests, no exceptional training, never been in a fight, and only had a GED was put in a position above me. Then tried to "lecture" me.

We did not become friends.

That's the world. That's life. It's been touched on in other threads. For every guy who does the work there is someone of a "protected" background who shows up, drinks coffee, runs their mouth, and goes home and they end up in charge of people.

Just from the picture alone of Gen. Olds with his tired gaze and camo helmet inspires me to listen to him automatically over some Felecia.

But that's just my opinion...

ETA If it comes out later on down the line that Johnson did some hardcore Stargate hopping and was dropping Go'auld like the plague; I humbly retract my insinuation of her being a Felecia.

Otherwise I stand by my slight.

I would be perfectly fine if she did any of the following:

Air rescue flights.
Had flight time and experience in any fighter (actual combat experience not required since I don't think they let women do that yet).
Any flight time in direct support of combat.
Had at any time been told "you're not allowed - you're a girl" and disregarded orders and engaged in any kind of direct combat or immediate support of combat because she was the only one in the area who could respond in a timely manner.

I could easily accept and respect anything like any of the above. This is why we need to let women fly direct combat flights because we are putting them in charge of the people that do.

During my brief tenure as a .gov person I saw several examples of people who couldn't do the job we were being asked to do, so they were simply moved up to a supervisory position. Always drove me nuts. Even worse than the fact that people who weren't capable of doing the job becoming your superior was the fact that being able to actually do the job frequently meant you could never move up if you wanted to.

Having 10 years experience doing X, just meant that if you did nothing wrong they would let you keep doing X for another 10 years.

I'm personally amazed that anyone who isn't a combat experienced pilot could ever reach the rank of air force general. Of course somebody with actual combat experience probably wouldn't feel the need to have a $370,000 foyer leading to their office.

Benito
01-17-17, 21:03
COme on guys. $387,000 is a small price to pay for adding a notch to the female representation diversity/equity/feminism score.
Diversity is our greatest strength, after all.

Firefly
01-17-17, 21:09
During my brief tenure as a .gov person I saw several examples of people who couldn't do the job we were being asked to do, so they were simply moved up to a supervisory position. Always drove me nuts. Even worse than the fact that people who weren't capable of doing the job becoming your superior was the fact that being able to actually do the job frequently meant you could never move up if you wanted to.

Great Heavenly God.....THIS.

It becomes like Sisyphus and the bolder.

I have some stories that would be highly un-PC and very #Triggering but suffice it to say that some people in this godless world need a pool cue shoved up their ass and broken off and their gluteal cleft taped down afterwards with 100 mph tape. Then pushed off a height not enough to kill them but certainly enough to cripple them.

I have yet to meet anybody from the "diversity" bunch who maintained healthy standards and wasn't a piece of human sewage but maybe that's a personal problem.

Per Johnson, I agree if she did all that you offered. But she didnt. How can one, in good conscience, order someone to do something they couldn't/wouldn't do themselves.

I've heard that speech my whole life but never, not freaking once saw anybody live up to it.

But again....that may just be a personal problem and griping on M4C wont change anything.

An old salt told me as a younger man "Shit floats to the top, son. Shit ALWAYS floats to the top."

I didn't...on an emotional level...want to believe it, but goddammit he was right.

26 Inf
01-17-17, 21:38
The article said that over 800 people annually see the foyer. If they just gave every guest a 20.00 for 5 years, we'd be $300,000.00 ahead and everyone would have more appreciation for the foyer.

What I really get a kick out of is reading all the posts, some who have never served, beating on Lt. Gen. Johnson's military career, especially the non-citizens.

She commanded an air refueling wing in support of Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Johnson is a command pilot with more than 3,600 flying hours in C-141, T-41, KC-10, C-17, C-5 Galaxy and KC-135 aircraft.

Yeah, the foyer was a boondoogle, but I'd be willing to give General Johnson a pass on being solely responsible until I find out the foyer is done up as a Thelma and Louise tribute and the muzak is on a continuous Helen Reddy loop.

Are you guys going to pass the same judgement on all the rest of the support personnel in the Armed Forces?

26 Inf
01-17-17, 21:41
Per Johnson, I agree if she did all that you offered. But she didnt. How can one, in good conscience, order someone to do something they couldn't/wouldn't do themselves.

How do you know what she did or didn't do? How do you know she has ordered anyone to do something she couldn't/wouldn't do herself?

26 Inf
01-17-17, 22:20
Had flight time and experience in any fighter (actual combat experience not required since I don't think they let women do that yet).

Uh, only since 1991, that is when the ban was actually lifted. It was a couple years after that before the first female fighter pilots hit the squadrons.

Today there are female fighter pilots or weapons officers in every branch of the service.

An unnamed (for security reasons) female Air Force Major 'Jennifer' popped 1,000 hours combat time in Feb 2016.

Firefly
01-17-17, 23:11
How do you know what she did or didn't do? How do you know she has ordered anyone to do something she couldn't/wouldn't do herself?

On a moral level, you got me in a box.
That's where I'll leave it.

SteyrAUG
01-17-17, 23:41
The article said that over 800 people annually see the foyer. If they just gave every guest a 20.00 for 5 years, we'd be $300,000.00 ahead and everyone would have more appreciation for the foyer.

What I really get a kick out of is reading all the posts, some who have never served, beating on Lt. Gen. Johnson's military career, especially the non-citizens.

She commanded an air refueling wing in support of Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Johnson is a command pilot with more than 3,600 flying hours in C-141, T-41, KC-10, C-17, C-5 Galaxy and KC-135 aircraft.

Yeah, the foyer was a boondoogle, but I'd be willing to give General Johnson a pass on being solely responsible until I find out the foyer is done up as a Thelma and Louise tribute and the muzak is on a continuous Helen Reddy loop.

Are you guys going to pass the same judgement on all the rest of the support personnel in the Armed Forces?

All due respect but screw Johnson. She didn't command shit, she was GIVEN command. And I doubt very much it had anything to do with her scary "drop a golf ball in a bucket at 30,000 feet" skills. If they made a truck driver who ran supplies during the Persian Gulf War the rank of Lt. General people would lose their effin minds, UNLESS that truck driver was a female.

I don't have to be military to be allowed to criticize the military. I'm allowed to have an opinion on Manning. I'm allowed to think Johnson shouldn't be allowed to be in the same building with anyone who actually knew Olds and I'm allowed to call a diversity hire a diversity hire.

Like I said, if she ever actually did "big shit" then absolutely put her in charge of "big shit." But looks like she hasn't come close to doing any of the things thousands of people who will never rank above Captain do every day.

If a male pilot had her same exact qualifications I'd say "that's great" thank you for your service Captain.

SteyrAUG
01-17-17, 23:48
Uh, only since 1991, that is when the ban was actually lifted. It was a couple years after that before the first female fighter pilots hit the squadrons.

Today there are female fighter pilots or weapons officers in every branch of the service.

An unnamed (for security reasons) female Air Force Major 'Jennifer' popped 1,000 hours combat time in Feb 2016.

That's awesome. And in my civilian opinion each and every one of those females are far more qualified than Johnson to hold her position. How she managed to jump the line ahead of females with actual combat experience is beyond me.

Now I understand we live in a PC world where we have to highlight the new kids in the class to make them feel equal. I can accept that. But christ, give the job of commanding people to somebody who has actually done the job they will be sending others to do.

If this has been the case since 1991 there must be thousands of female combat pilots who were engaged in direct action with the enemy, close support missions for ground forces and there almost have to be dozens of pilots who were then decorated for extraordinary performance in combat.

Find and reward those who are far more deserving, give them a nice office and we can even have say a $50,000 foyer which is extravagant by military standards. If Johnson was an actually leader, she'd have balked at the $370,000 renovation and said spend $10k and then spend the rest on my top performers.

26 Inf
01-18-17, 00:37
Deleted Response

26 Inf
01-18-17, 00:51
Steyr - With you on the the extravagance of the remodel, as I pointed out we could just give each visitor a Jackson and still be 300,000 ahead at the end of 5 years, about the time they'd want to remodel again. I do, however think you are wrong about most of the other stuff. But, maybe you have some special knowledge of LtGen Johnson's career that I don't.

There are a hell of a lot more combat service support roles in the Air Force than there are steely-eyed fighter jocks. Aerial refuelers play an integral part in supporting combat missions, granted in the battle we are now fighting they are not much at risk, but that could change in the future.

When you denigrate folks who ran supplies during the Persian Gulf War, you are denigrating patriots, who signed up to serve, and were serving in the jobs they were assigned. It takes a team effort to put door-kickers in place to do the job. A lot of the roles aren't sexy but they are important.

I've been told that most everybody graduating from basic flight school wants to fly fighters, not everyone gets to. We really have no way of knowing what Johnson may have, or may not have, wanted to do. What we do know is that she apparently flew cargo and refuelers for over 3600 hours.

There are numerous 3 and 4 star Generals who haven't been fighter pilots, or been shot at.

This guy was an Air Force General and was not even a pilot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_L._Shelton

You might actually be familiar with this guy, he was an MI guy his whole career, do you think he was a gunfighter? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_T._Flynn

IMO you attack on Johnson's career and accomplishments was not warranted on what we know.

And yes, it is your right to think whatever you want, regardless of whether you are being fair or unfair. America since 1776.

Moose-Knuckle
01-18-17, 03:48

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/693/32343337396_bda46ea480_b.jpg

SteyrAUG
01-18-17, 19:36
Steyr - With you on the the extravagance of the remodel, as I pointed out we could just give each visitor a Jackson and still be 300,000 ahead at the end of 5 years, about the time they'd want to remodel again. I do, however think you are wrong about most of the other stuff. But, maybe you have some special knowledge of LtGen Johnson's career that I don't.

There are a hell of a lot more combat service support roles in the Air Force than there are steely-eyed fighter jocks. Aerial refuelers play an integral part in supporting combat missions, granted in the battle we are now fighting they are not much at risk, but that could change in the future.

When you denigrate folks who ran supplies during the Persian Gulf War, you are denigrating patriots, who signed up to serve, and were serving in the jobs they were assigned. It takes a team effort to put door-kickers in place to do the job. A lot of the roles aren't sexy but they are important.

I wasn't denigrating anyone who ran supplies, I was simply pointing out that if you did that and you were a MALE you weren't going to be in command of anything, ever. That isn't my idea, just saying it's the way it is.

I've been told that most everybody graduating from basic flight school wants to fly fighters, not everyone gets to. We really have no way of knowing what Johnson may have, or may not have, wanted to do. What we do know is that she apparently flew cargo and refuelers for over 3600 hours.

There are numerous 3 and 4 star Generals who haven't been fighter pilots, or been shot at.

Here's my thing, if you are going to send men or women into harms way, you should have personal experience. I would have no problem with a Captain or possibly even a Colonel Johnson. Anyone who wants to be a star of any kind better have the kind of experience that warrants such a rank.

This guy was an Air Force General and was not even a pilot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_L._Shelton

You might actually be familiar with this guy, he was an MI guy his whole career, do you think he was a gunfighter? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_T._Flynn

Looks like direct combat experience to me. Airborne qualified, give Johnson those creds and I would be fine with her rank. Though I think he should at least know how to fly something if he wants to be an AF general.

IMO you attack on Johnson's career and accomplishments was not warranted on what we know.

And yes, it is your right to think whatever you want, regardless of whether you are being fair or unfair. America since 1776.

It was based upon extravagant spending on the tax payers dime, a questionable qualifications to rank ratio and many things that look a LOT like PC appointments. Somewhere there is a female pilot with actual combat experience, who can fly the shit out of Johnson and that pilot is probably a major.

You should also probably understand I have a critical view of MacArthur and Patton as well.

Big A
01-18-17, 21:03
My god...

That mustache!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/aeef45ad7d8a83fea8803aed499d9e22.jpg

Also
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/a2b96cf19a63b0e6f2a3447e76c88f07.jpg

SteyrAUG
01-18-17, 22:16
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/aeef45ad7d8a83fea8803aed499d9e22.jpg

Also
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/a2b96cf19a63b0e6f2a3447e76c88f07.jpg

Just once in my life I'd love to work for a great man (person for PR types), it would be so thrilling to not have to question whether I might be more qualified than my superior, where I can't sit down for 15 minutes and discover ten things that could be done better that many people could figure out.

So far the only skill my "betters" seem to have mastered is how to play political office games and to me that really doesn't qualify anyone for anything in terms of being able to do the job. It must be an incredible feeling to do the job "as intended" to have your responsibilities and goals clearly defined, where you do them because that is the job and not to make anyone else look impressive.

Working for somebody who understands their station and yours, who doesn't feel the need to manipulate you to get results or to benefit directly from your efforts. They simply help you do your job the best you can because they fully understand it, even better than you...and that is why they are in charge.

If I could find a career with those parameters, I'd never feel like I was working again. I know a couple guys who work for people so good at their job they honestly learn "new stuff" almost every day despite the fact that they are already very qualified for the job they do. I really do envy them sometimes.

26 Inf
01-18-17, 22:25
You should also probably understand I have a critical view of MacArthur and Patton as well.

Well, see if you look hard enough you find common ground.

Here's my thing, if you are going to send men or women into harms way, you should have personal experience. I would have no problem with a Captain or possibly even a Colonel Johnson. Anyone who wants to be a star of any kind better have the kind of experience that warrants such a rank.

I'm not sure that Johnson is sending 'men and women into harm's way' at the Air Force Academy. And I'm pretty sure since she commanded a couple of squadrons, wings, whatever the Air Force calls them, while amassing her flight hours she wasn't sending out to do things she wasn't.

Additionally, I'm not so sure you have a firm handle on the armed forces organization. There are a whole bunch of Brigadier, Major, and Lieutenant Generals wondering around in military branches of Finance, Judge Advocate, Supply, Medical, Personnel.

Finally, ultimately it is the President who sends folks into harm's way. Seems to me Eisenhower, Kennedy, and George H W Bush are the most recent Presidents to been there done that.

Bottom line, we both agree that the money spent could be better spent elsewhere.

wildcard600
01-18-17, 23:35
Just once in my life I'd love to work for a great man (person for PR types), it would be so thrilling to not have to question whether I might be more qualified than my superior, where I can't sit down for 15 minutes and discover ten things that could be done better that many people could figure out.

So far the only skill my "betters" seem to have mastered is how to play political office games and to me that really doesn't qualify anyone for anything in terms of being able to do the job. It must be an incredible feeling to do the job "as intended" to have your responsibilities and goals clearly defined, where you do them because that is the job and not to make anyone else look impressive.

Working for somebody who understands their station and yours, who doesn't feel the need to manipulate you to get results or to benefit directly from your efforts. They simply help you do your job the best you can because they fully understand it, even better than you...and that is why they are in charge.

If I could find a career with those parameters, I'd never feel like I was working again. I know a couple guys who work for people so good at their job they honestly learn "new stuff" almost every day despite the fact that they are already very qualified for the job they do. I really do envy them sometimes.

I had the pleasure of working for someone like that in my last company. Unfortunately his boss and bosses boss had their heads so far up their asses that the job was a soul sucking waste of life. He had belief in what he was doing, or the money was good and he was looking to move up in the company. I certainly hope he makes it as there needs to be more like him in leadership positions.

I was not being compensated enough for that BS and popped smoke after 4 years. Had I not been working for him I would have probably left much sooner.

I guess the point of that little story is that real leaders are few and far between but can make or break an organization. I don't know anything about this lady to form an opinion on her besides the fact that she seems to have her priority's grossly out of whack in regards to wasting money on stupid shit. That alone tells me that I wouldn't want her as my boss.

Todd00000
01-19-17, 04:52
I'm going on medical TDY tomorrow, do go on the dates I wanted I had to give up three days of Per Diem.

JC5188
01-19-17, 07:05
Well, see if you look hard enough you find common ground.

I'm not sure that Johnson is sending 'men and women into harm's way' at the Air Force Academy. And I'm pretty sure since she commanded a couple of squadrons, wings, whatever the Air Force calls them, while amassing her flight hours she wasn't sending out to do things she wasn't.

Additionally, I'm not so sure you have a firm handle on the armed forces organization. There are a whole bunch of Brigadier, Major, and Lieutenant Generals wondering around in military branches of Finance, Judge Advocate, Supply, Medical, Personnel.

Finally, ultimately it is the President who sends folks into harm's way. Seems to me Eisenhower, Kennedy, and George H W Bush are the most recent Presidents to been there done that.

Bottom line, we both agree that the money spent could be better spent elsewhere.

George W flew fighters, iirc. Although HW Bush, to your point, had the FAR more celebrated career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
01-19-17, 09:37

Just for consideration, it may have been President Hoover that ordered MacArthur and Patton to drive out the Bonus Marches and their families, but it was MacArthur who "charged into battle with saber drawn and began to attack WWI combat veterans" and it was Patton who willingly participated in the same actions.

As we would learn at Nuremberg, sometimes "following orders" doesn't cut it.

Pilot1
01-19-17, 09:55
George W flew fighters, iirc. Although HW Bush, to your point, had the FAR more celebrated career.

GWB flew the F-102 Delta Dagger, considered a "widow maker" by many at the time due to it's flight characteristics.

Such accidents were quite common even in peacetime conditions, which is not unusual for military aircraft whose pilots risk their lives on every flight. ANG members of the period who we've been able to locate indicate that only highly qualified pilot candidates were accepted for Delta Dagger training because it was such a challenging aircraft to fly and left little room for mistakes. According to the Air Force Safety Center, the lifetime Class A accident rate for the F-102 was 13.69 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours, and the rate was especially high during the early years of the plane's service.

This poor safety record may have been due in part to a deadly flaw in the aircraft's design that caused an engine stall and loss of control under a certain combination of angle of attack and airspeed frequently encountered during takeoff. According to a former F-102 pilot we've interviewed, this problem caused the plane to roll inverted and resulted in several fatal crashes. Numerous accidents were also encountered during landing because of the plane's high angle of attack and airspeed that reduced the pilot's visibility and reaction time. These factors have traditionally been two of the primary disadvantages of delta wing aircraft and explain why the pure delta wing design was later abandoned. Today's delta wing aircraft are typically equipped with leading edge extensions or canards that improve safety and performance. Luckily, F-102 operators overcame these deficiencies thanks to good pilot training and control lockouts that prevented the plane from reaching extreme conditions, and the F-102 went on to become one of the safer fighters of its day.

Regardless, the F-102 was still far more dangerous to fly than today's combat aircraft. Compared to the F-102's lifetime accident rate of 13.69, today's planes generally average around 4 mishaps per 100,000 hours. For example, compare the F-16 at 4.14, the F-15 at 2.47, the F-117 at 4.07, the S-3 at 2.6, and the F-18 at 4.9. Even the Marine Corps' AV-8B, regarded as the most dangerous aircraft in US service today, has a lifetime accident rate of only 11.44 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours. The F-102 claimed the lives of many pilots, including a number stationed at Ellington during Bush's tenure. Of the 875 F-102A production models that entered service, 259 were lost in accidents that killed 70 Air Force and ANG pilots.

He could have flown a desk. GHWB was the youngest pilot in WWII (Navy) he was shot down, and his crew was killed. He flew combat missions in a Grumman TBM Avenger dive bomber. It had a crew of three. He was the only survivor of the crash.

Robin Olds was the real deal. I have tremendous respect for him. Much more than I do the PC, sexist culture of today's military. I respect those who serve, men, and women alike, but I despise the culture they must endure.

http://www.456fis.org/PRESIDENT_BUSH_&_THE_F-102.htm

26 Inf
01-19-17, 11:09

George W. used his fathers influence to get into the Fort Worth Flying Club to avoid service in VN. Period. Paragraph.

JC5188
01-19-17, 11:44
George W. used his fathers influence to get into the Fort Worth Flying Club to avoid service in VN. Period. Paragraph.

The whole while, helping keep the skies of Texas safe from Charlie.

Lol.

26 Inf
01-19-17, 13:36
The whole while, helping keep the skies of Texas safe from Charlie.

Lol.

Despite all that, I would like to hang with him for a day or two, I think it would be fun.

I think it would be a hoot to get him, Slick Willy and BO together, get a couple drinks down them, then listen to them talk about how ****ed up it is being President.

JC5188
01-19-17, 14:49
Despite all that, I would like to hang with him for a day or two, I think it would be fun.

I think it would be a hoot to get him, Slick Willy and BO together, get a couple drinks down them, then listen to them talk about how ****ed up it is being President.

True, and how much of it is pure politics.

Spooky130
01-20-17, 10:59
Olds was the Commandant of Cadets - a one-star job while Johnson is the Superintendent of the USAFA a three-star job.

Johnson isn't sending anyone off to fight bad guys - she's running a 4,000 student private school in Colorado. While they spent a stupid amount of money on her foyer it really isn't hers - its there for all the visits USAFA gets each year - you try to leave a good impression on all the foreign dignitaries who pass through.

JC5188
01-20-17, 11:33
Olds was the Commandant of Cadets - a one-star job while Johnson is the Superintendent of the USAFA a three-star job.

Johnson isn't sending anyone off to fight bad guys - she's running a 4,000 student private school in Colorado. While they spent a stupid amount of money on her foyer it really isn't hers - its there for all the visits USAFA gets each year - you try to leave a good impression on all the foreign dignitaries who pass through.

That makes sense. Hell, it probably pales in comparison to the facilities of a big "football school". Which is unfortunate.

SteyrAUG
01-20-17, 12:35

You know what, you are right.

pinzgauer
01-20-17, 12:38
Some things to keep in mind:

1) Many "improvements" to physical plan/buildings at the service academies are privately funded through donations. Alumni raises crazy money, millions each year to deal with "nice to have" things that would never get approved from the federal budget. Don't know specifics about USAFA, but have seen budget for USMA, and this type of thing would likely be privately funded there.

2) Supe is a dead end job, usually a reward for solid, but not stellar performance. But also indication the General was not promotable into the line as a 3 star. Supes normally retire at the end of their tenure.

3) Commandant is a stepping stone/check box, usually for promotable generals. Not unusual to see combat studs do a turn as comm. Typical tenure at USMA is 18-24 mths. Gen Clarke at USMA left his 1 star Comm position to be a 2 star over the 82nd division. And had been over the Ranger regiment as a COL. Hard charger, top notch.

Spooky130
01-20-17, 14:17
Some things to keep in mind:

1) Many "improvements" to physical plan/buildings at the service academies are privately funded through donations. Alumni raises crazy money, millions each year to deal with "nice to have" things that would never get approved from the federal budget. Don't know specifics about USAFA, but have seen budget for USMA, and this type of thing would likely be privately funded there.

2) Supe is a dead end job, usually a reward for solid, but not stellar performance. But also indication the General was not promotable into the line as a 3 star. Supes normally retire at the end of their tenure.

3) Commandant is a stepping stone/check box, usually for promotable generals. Not unusual to see combat studs do a turn as comm. Typical tenure at USMA is 18-24 mths. Gen Clarke at USMA left his 1 star Comm position to be a 2 star over the 82nd division. And had been over the Ranger regiment as a COL. Hard charger, top notch.

Agree on all points...

The last Chief of Staff USAF (Mark Welsh) was the Commandant of Cadets back in the 1999-2001 timeframe... The Dean of Faculty is also a dead end gig - Brig Gen who can sit there for 10-15-20 years...

26 Inf
01-20-17, 14:19
You know what, you are right.

Oh, yeah Spooky's right, but not poor old 26? :D

SteyrAUG
01-20-17, 14:55
Oh, yeah Spooky's right, but not poor old 26? :D

He worded it better. Key point was the foyer isn't really "hers" so much as it belongs to the USAFA. I was also assigning her actual position much more importance than it deserves. You were trying to get me there, but I had a different vision of her "command" than what is actually the case.

If it makes you feel better, you were correct also.

26 Inf
01-20-17, 20:44
If it makes you feel better, you were correct also.

I want a ribbon or a trophy.

SteyrAUG
01-20-17, 21:28
I want a ribbon or a trophy.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/415ucADgdpL._SY300_.jpg

Korgs130
01-20-17, 21:32
That makes sense. Hell, it probably pales in comparison to the facilities of a big "football school". Which is unfortunate.

Speaking of football schools, than renovation ain't nothing. Who are the highest paid individuals in the Dept of Defense? The three service academy football coaches From 2013:

The three highest-compensated employees on the Pentagon payroll are the Army, Navy and Air Force football coaches, according to a recent report.
Taking note of various statistics that paint a picture of a healthy, wealthy America for the summer edition of Chicago Life magazine, writer Allen Sanderson observed that Air Force football coach Troy Calhoun, Navy football coach Ken Niumatalolo and Army football coach Rich Ellerson made more money than any other Pentagon-employed government official.
Calhoun makes $882,000 a year. Niumatalolo makes $1.6 million a year. And Ellerson makes $600,000 a year.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/18/three-highest-paid-pentagon-officials-are-all-football-coaches/

Full disclosure, I'm a zoomie and I've met Lt Gen Johnson. Then Capt/Maj Johnson was one of my political science professors when I was at the Academy. I have no problems what she aircraft she flew, at least she flew. I'd much rather have someone with her background as Sup (i.e. a pilot) vs. a General who spent their whole career flying a satellite or a desk (no offense to my friends in Space Command).

pinzgauer
01-20-17, 22:07
Speaking of football schools, than renovation ain't nothing. Who are the highest paid individuals in the Dept of Defense? The three service academy football coaches From 2013:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/18/three-highest-paid-pentagon-officials-are-all-football-coaches/

Which sounds horrible, except for two things:

1) Army and Navy coach salaries are not paid for with appropriated (gov) funds. They are not federal employees. The amount of money NCAA division 1 teams bring in is insane. Licensing, game revenue, donations, etc.

2) none of the 3 even make it into the top 60 college coach salaries.

I'm no fan of Service Academy football, but this kind of comparison is silly.

Most years my salary is more than a 2 star general. But I can guarantee you their lifestyle is far better. You can't compare mil and private salaries the simplistic way those expose articles try to

Spooky130
01-21-17, 15:41
Which sounds horrible, except for two things:

1) Army and Navy coach salaries are not paid for with appropriated (gov) funds. They are not federal employees. The amount of money NCAA division 1 teams bring in is insane. Licensing, game revenue, donations, etc.

2) none of the 3 even make it into the top 60 college coach salaries.

I'm no fan of Service Academy football, but this kind of comparison is silly.

Most years my salary is more than a 2 star general. But I can guarantee you their lifestyle is far better. You can't compare mil and private salaries the simplistic way those expose articles try to

I worked very closely for a USAF two-star... His life was pretty normal - he didn't even rate any form of special airlift. The base I was at, he was one of 35 or 40 one-star or above to include civilian equivalents. I think the only thing they are different in is the amount of responsibility for the respective amount of pay...

pinzgauer
01-21-17, 17:53
I worked very closely for a USAF two-star... His life was pretty normal - he didn't even rate any form of special airlift. The base I was at, he was one of 35 or 40 one-star or above to include civilian equivalents. I think the only thing they are different in is the amount of responsibility for the respective amount of pay...
I'd agree on the responsibility aspect. But the generals I've seen had it pretty good: nice houses (allowance), drivers and car provided, etc.

Again, no fan of football coaches, just pointing out that the article and comparison was not really valid.