PDA

View Full Version : ceramic coating for durability/reliability?

IdahoCorsair
09-18-08, 11:11
A friend recently told me about Next Generation Arms. I'm not so much interested in their AR set-up as I am about the ceramic coating process they claim will eliminate rusting, improve barrel life/performance, make the gun cool faster and more! Do any of you guys have an objective take on this ceramic coating process?

JBnTX
09-18-08, 13:27
Please don't take this the wrong way, but a good cleaning and lubrication
will accomplish the same thing at a much lower price.

It sounds like another case of a solution looking for a problem.

IdahoCorsair
09-18-08, 13:31
I don't have a problem with cleaning my AR... and it's danged reliable. It's almost like you said... lets come up with the latest 'different' product to give us a marketing edge. I'm just trying to be educated on what's out there, and in this case, I have a friend who thinks this is the latest shizzle, and I'm trying to tell him it's not necessary... but then again, if it does what they say... maybe it's cool. I just wanted opinions from people who understand what it is and what it does.

JBnTX
09-18-08, 13:42
Do you have a link or more information on it?
I'd like too learn more also.

It seems Ceramic would be prone to crack or peel from the heat?
Ceramic is stone?

IdahoCorsair
09-18-08, 13:44
http://www.nextgenerationarms.com/

JBnTX
09-18-08, 13:46
And check out this website also:
http://www.theshootersroost.com/ceramic.html

You just might be on to something?

bullseye
09-18-08, 20:09
looks real good on paper, but then, i'm admittably a sucker. robar, metalloy and birdsong's black-t [ he's right on my way home] all have good products, and know my c.c. #. this LOOKS good also. i love to go to walter birdsong's, he'll light a cigar, lean back in his chair, and tell you more b.s. you can absorb. super=duper old fart, still even at an advanced age i 'spect he would be a man to be reckoned with. [jus thought i'd throw that in there, i find him so interesting, and entertaining] sho'nuff down-home good ole' boy.

xm15
09-18-08, 22:42
it's cerakote.while not a magical "process" it is a coating applied like a paint.

you can do it yourself ,I did and I'm no genius.

I set up an account with NIC industries and ordered a 4oz jug of the color I wanted and used a HVLP sprayer to put it on.
then you bake it for a final cure.

it can chip, I found out when running one night. but that was one hell of a flight the gun took, I can't blame cerakote for that.

I have found it to be the best gun "coating" I have used yet.

xm15
09-18-08, 22:49
this is an older picture...http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/moorerick55/sixx.jpg

it is dessert tan, I have OD and black so tan was next.a grey to follow.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-18-08, 23:47
I don't have any guns coated with Cerakote yet, but that stuff is tuff.

The Next generation thing is confusing. Are they saying that even the gun bore is ceramic coated, or just the usual anodized and painted parts. Filling pores sounds more like a sealer than a coating.

olds442tyguy
09-19-08, 18:10
Please don't take this the wrong way, but a good cleaning and lubrication
will accomplish the same thing at a much lower price.
I coated my 870PM with Cerakote's lubricity coating. I'd have to dip my shotgun in a tank of high quality lube to get the immediate effects Cerakote and a couple of very small drops of motor oil had on my shotgun. It's like snot on glass and is essentially maintenance free. Heck, I don't even think I've had to lubricate the damn thing since the last time I shot it five or six months ago.