PDA

View Full Version : Out of these 3 which 9mm pistol for serious use?

graffex
10-17-06, 17:53
Springfield Armory XD 9mm service or tactical model
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Glock 17 or 19

I've shot many pistols and this is what I've come down to on purchasing my first pistol. This pistol is going to be my main fighting/SHTF/training pistol if you will. Here is my breakdown of the three.

XD- Reliable and comfortable, only concern is finish on the 9mm model
M&P- Very comfortable, only concern is long term reliability as it's a new weapon
Glock- The king of reliability, only concern is the grip angle, thinking training will negate it though

Of all three I thinking I'm leaning towards the M&P because it looks and feels great. My only concern is how it compares reliability wise alongside the XD and Glock since it's been around for such a short time. Is my concern unmerited or do you think I'd be wiser going with the XD or Glock?

Nitrox
10-17-06, 18:09
XD, the other choices are trash.

:D

Boom
10-17-06, 18:15
Of the three the Glock has the longest running history. I played with a M&P and had the mags come apart after a few seconds. The bases tend to pop off if you rough handle the mags.

The XD seems to be a good weapon. From what I have seen and heard it seems like a good design that is holding up well.

Its your choice either way good luck.

Business_Casual
10-17-06, 19:29
Glock 19.

Easy to get parts, mags, holsters, night sights, etc. Tried and true, adopted by many agencies and no sign of that slowing down.

Easy to conceal, yet easy to handle and has excellent magazine capacity. Very light even when fully loaded, but recoil is managed well by the low bore and flexible frame.

There's a Glock armorer in every major town and you can probably fix 90% of anything that goes wrong yourself with a little research. Basically your armorer's kit is one tool. Think about that.

Excellent customer service and a very durable finish.

M_P

9x19
10-17-06, 20:03
I have both a S&W M&P in 9mm and a Glock 19. I think they are both great pistols, and I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. I don't own a Springfield XD, so I don't have personal experience with that one.

If any one of the three pistols fits your hand better or you shoot one of them better, that is the one I would suggest that you purchase. If you like all of them equally, and you are making the decision based on reliability, etc. modern_pirate summed up that pretty well above.

K.L. Davis
10-17-06, 20:11
I can not speak of the M&P... I can say this. Between the XD and Glock, the biggest difference is the grip angle, which one feels the best to you, points better, is a more natural extension? They are different enough to make a noticable difference -- and the one that feels right to you is the one to get.

I carry an XD fwiw.

Robb Jensen
10-17-06, 20:19
They're all good. Get whatever fits your hand best and that you can shoot well.

Nitrox
10-17-06, 21:42
I carry an XD fwiw.

I knew you were OK. :D

GastonG-NoVa
10-17-06, 22:59
+1 on the Glock, tried and true. My 19 has at least 20,000 rounds on it with no breakdowns. I did throw a new ejector on it recently. The original one was getting a little worn. I mostly replaced it because I had copius amounts of G19 parts on hand.

G

nyeti
10-17-06, 23:52
Glock 17. I cut the grip down on the ones I carry concealed to take 19 mags. They are by far the most reliable pistols I have ever used. I used to have a tough time with the grip angle. Once I changed how I hold the gun, it is no longer a problem.

AR-15A3
10-17-06, 23:52
+ 1 Glock

I have the 17 and 19 which I had for a very long time since '90 and had no problems with them.

Try the all the brands grips and pick the best fit.

I would avoid new models until more info are available from actual performance in the field.

bullitt5172
10-18-06, 09:31
XD, the other choices are trash.

:D

Glock haters crack me up :D

All good, the S&W may or may not have the key lock and mag disconnect since they can be ordered both ways. I don't want any kind of manual lock on my weapon. S&W feels good though and shoot great.

The Glock and XD are both great choices. I prefer the Glock to the XD because of the more durable coating (older XD's were prone to rusting) and less moving parts, fits my hand well and they are stone reliable/time tested. I don't really need loaded indicators on the barrel hood and back of slide, grip safety etx. I do think the newer XD's have a Melonite coating, less likely to rust.

I have a 23 and 35 and think they are excellent handguns. I still prefer 1911's but the Glock is growing on me.

matt7184
10-18-06, 10:09
Here's a vote for the M&P. I have a Glock 19 which has worked well, but feels like a Brick in the hand. I've played around and shot mostly M&P .40s and am waiting on an M&P 9mm.

Some reasons I really like it: It takes all the benefits of Glock and adds a cone barrel for better lockup, metal subframe to prevent flex, curved slide rails to keep the slide/frame fit tight, replaceable slide rails, stainless slide, better trigger system, metal magazines, beavertail, slimmer grip and changeable grips, contoured slide for easier holstering, better stock sights, ambi controls, I prefer the M&P grip angle.

Here are some resources:

Right now for general resources
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve

Here are a few other discussions about the pistol:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=155
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30124
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=otherguns&Number=32536&Searchpage=1&Main=32536&Words=wesson&topic=&Search=true#Post32536
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=10419&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

Either way you cannot go wrong with any of the choices imo.

HotRod9mm
10-19-06, 00:02
They're all good. Get whatever fits your hand best and that you can shoot well.

+1
You will be far more comfortable with something that fits you then something you have to think about if the need ever arises.

Turbo Supra
10-19-06, 09:51
I voted for the Sig P226...errr....wait...never mind.

:p

mayonaise
10-19-06, 10:27
Go shoot them all. The one that feels and functions the best for you will do. Glocks are proven. XD is proven (weak link is the crappy trigger reset and the magazine feed lips are vulnerable if dropped). M&P appears to be good from initial reports but I agree, they are new in production so time will tell.

For an overall 9mm package the G19 is tough to beat. I think I'd be comfortable with any you listed if I didn't have a choice in the matter.

Steve
10-19-06, 12:38
I own all 3

My mp 9mm has replaced them all

it fast very accurate

over 6700 rounds downrage now with 3 malfunctions traced back to ammo

7 magazines so far and hitting all types of surfaces from hard dirt to gravel to concrete no issues.

all are good guns all will do what you ask of them

as of current carry gun i trust my life too and those around me mp get the nod

one thing i like is the changable backstraps in winter months with heavy gloves on in cold weather i can change out to smaller grips and keep the same feel with big gloves on....... i have huge mitts...... i ran my mp this year in a pat rogers class and it ran flawless

JohnN
10-20-06, 00:24
I own all 3

My mp 9mm has replaced them all

it fast very accurate

over 6700 rounds downrage now with 3 malfunctions traced back to ammo

7 magazines so far and hitting all types of surfaces from hard dirt to gravel to concrete no issues.

all are good guns all will do what you ask of them

as of current carry gun i trust my life too and those around me mp get the nod

one thing i like is the changable backstraps in winter months with heavy gloves on in cold weather i can change out to smaller grips and keep the same feel with big gloves on....... i have huge mitts...... i ran my mp this year in a pat rogers class and it ran flawless

I would have to agree with Steve, 3500 rds and counting without a malfunction. The M&P9 is my current carry piece but in the past I have carried the Glock 19 and felt quite comfortable with it. Being an old 1911 holdover I just prefer the ergonomics of the S&W.

Trumpet
10-20-06, 09:12
I own a G19 and an XD45. Honestly, I love both and feel totally secure with both. The Glock has a longer track record, but my XD has been absolutely flawless (if not, actually improving) in over 2000 rounds. I have no experience with the XD9 although I understand the XD45's have a Melonite finish and the other XD's do not...yet. I only handled a M&P, but I was really impressed.

Striker5
11-02-06, 18:22
I would go w/ the 9mm Glock for defensive purposes, due to its proven track record.

madryan
11-03-06, 09:45
My only beef with the M&P is the idiot safeties. S&W always seem to think that all of us are idiots and hence put things like mag disconnects and all that in their guns making them mechanically more complex than they need to be. Also, a buddy who is a much more active shooter than I had several go down at their range with busted FP's and springs. That's no big deal, but the problem is that since S&W is on something like the 2nd or 3rd redesign of the gun since releasing it they can't just send out parts because they need to see what the broken ones look like first.

If the M&P ever makes it for a couple of decades and has all the bugs worked out like the Glock then I'll probably pick one up.

FlyAndFight
11-03-06, 10:48
I like the old K.I.S.S. acronym application here. I'd go with the G-19.

Madryan brings up excellent points regarding the additional safeties and what consequences they may lead to.

Hawkeye
11-03-06, 11:29
Have to go with the Glock 17 or 19 myself.

matt7184
11-03-06, 15:22
My only beef with the M&P is the idiot safeties. S&W always seem to think that all of us are idiots and hence put things like mag disconnects and all that in their guns making them mechanically more complex than they need to be. Also, a buddy who is a much more active shooter than I had several go down at their range with busted FP's and springs. That's no big deal, but the problem is that since S&W is on something like the 2nd or 3rd redesign of the gun since releasing it they can't just send out parts because they need to see what the broken ones look like first.

Well, the M&P lock safeties and mag safeties are optional for everyone. Like it or not some contracts require this so S&W incorporated it into the design. The models without a mag disconnect or lock safety work just fine...

That is the first I have heard of S&W being on a 2nd or 3rd redesign....source?

Also, Brownells has parts, S&W does send out parts to some customers, Burwell gunsmithing has strikers and will start stocking other parts, etc...Perhaps S&W prefers firearms sent in for warranty work so people do not lie and have parts sent to them?

madryan
11-04-06, 00:57
Well, the M&P lock safeties and mag safeties are optional for everyone. Like it or not some contracts require this so S&W incorporated it into the design. The models without a mag disconnect or lock safety work just fine...

That is the first I have heard of S&W being on a 2nd or 3rd redesign....source?

Also, Brownells has parts, S&W does send out parts to some customers, Burwell gunsmithing has strikers and will start stocking other parts, etc...Perhaps S&W prefers firearms sent in for warranty work so people do not lie and have parts sent to them?

Maybe they had preproduction models or something. I stand by my opinion that in two decades if the M&P is still around in it's current incarnation then I'll put as much trust in it as I do a glock. Same for the XD. I'm not saying Glock is the only game in town, but the 4 I've owned have all been totally without issue over the course of tens of thousands of rounds. I had a Sig 229 in 9mm that had similar reliability and I'd gladly take a Sig to any bad neighborhood in the world. It's all about proving you can cut it in the real world.

liberty911
11-22-06, 06:38
+1 more for Glock-more specifically the 19. XD's are great too but I can't shoot them worth a damn. I was drooling after an xd40 tactical for a while, but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. The M&P is very promising. I think the recoil on the 40 feels real lite. My G19 gets more carry time than anything else though.

Hardgear, LLC
11-27-06, 20:22
I own all three and there is no doubt in my mind which is best. With that said, all three are fine weapons.

Bomber

jem375
11-28-06, 10:35
I honestly think you should include the CZ handguns in your search. I have just replaced my G26 with a CZ PO1, and to be honest the grip angle and trigger on the G26 just doesn't compare with the CZ's....

ct602
11-28-06, 19:17
I have the:

Glock 17
XD Service
CZ-75
CZ-75 SP01

Out of the four the CZ-75SP01 and XD are my favorites. You can't go wrong with any of the recommendation. You should also consider the Sig 226/228.

I have no hands on experince with the smith and wesson MP series.

ct602

JeepDriver
11-29-06, 17:56
Glock

I have a 34 that I have been shooting for 3 years now and it has never let me down. I never clean it, and it shoots like it did 3 years ago when I bought it. I have over 20K through it in the past 3 years, and I don't remember 1 failure. plus it's too damn much fun to shoot.

While I own dozens of other guns, the 34 gets the most trigger time. I carry a 226 but my fun range gun is my 34.

I have shot the M&P and the XD's, we have both in rental at the range. I do like the M&P, and will be buying one. But it will be like the rest of my pistols and be a safe queen.

Ain't nothing going to get me away from my Glock and Sig