PDA

View Full Version : SIG Wins the New Army Handgun Contract

BrigandTwoFour
01-19-17, 17:07
Saw it at SSD.

Here's the DOD notification (https://www.defense.gov/News/Contracts/Contract-View/Article/1054538):

Sig Sauer Inc., Newington, New Hampshire, was awarded a $580,217,000 firm-fixed-price contract for the Modular Handgun System including handgun, accessories and ammunition to replace the current M9 handgun. Bids were solicited via the Internet with nine received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Jan. 19, 2027. Army Contracting Command, Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-17-D-0016).

I'm no .gov contracting expert. Can someone with the experience chime in on this? Is it finally a done deal with 10 years to implement?

jwfuhrman
01-19-17, 17:38
Sounds like it is a done deal. I thin it was the P320 striker fired gun they submitted. I will say I'm very impressed with it. Travis and Nate from HSP were running them at the D3 Castle course I took and I was impressed with them, getting pretty popular.

Firefly
01-19-17, 17:44
Thats good for Sig I guess. I doubt people already using Glocks will stop using Glocks.

ETA The way Glock field strips, I doubt it will ever be a big Army gun. Ever.

But at the end of the day it is just a pistol anyways.

Det-Sog
01-19-17, 18:00
Overdue. Should have happened in 1988.

GTF425
01-19-17, 18:09
Or we could've just issued real holsters for the M9 and taught Soldiers how to actually shoot them, instead of treating them like FOB candy for SNCOs and Officers who are too lazy to carry a rifle.

But hey, new shiny.

CPM
01-19-17, 18:16
Why did it need to be modular? Will every gun come with a full kit? Who gets the kits?

The modular pistol sounds great, if you're a police department. For an organization as large as the Army it is asinine. This is just another example of the train of thought that everyone is a unique and special snowflake, requiring their own perfect fit. The M9 was a fine pistol, but the design was archaic and it was way too heavy- it needed to be replaced.

Maybe I'm just not a Sig fan, but I can't get behind this choice.

Sam
01-19-17, 18:17
Time for you guys to venture out of this area into the grown up discussion section, there is already another thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?192926-Modular-Handgun-System-contract-award