PDA

View Full Version : UK: You Tube Bans Gun & Knife Vids

30 cal slut
09-18-08, 13:55
whiskey tango foxtrot.

now i've seen everything in the UK.

can't even watch a training AAR if somebody finds it intimidating?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?YouTube_bans_knife_and_gun_videos&in_article_id=314919&in_page_id=34

YouTube has moved to stem growing concern that its website glamourises violence by banning videos featuring weapons.

The Google-owned video-sharing site has decided to introduce the ban for the UK only amid widespread unease about the increase in knife crime in the country.

It says that any video which is clearly "showing weapons with the aim of intimidation" will be taken down from the site.

Not all such videos will be removed immediately, however, as the ban will not be retrospective and any offending footage already on the site will need to be reported again.

"We recognise that there has been particular concern over videos in the UK that involve showing weapons with the aim of intimidation, and this is one of the areas we are addressing," a YouTube spokesperson said.

The move has been welcomed by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith as a "real step forward" and she encouraged other sites to take similar action.

"I would like to see other internet service providers follow suit to reinforce our message that violence will not be tolerated either on the internet or in the real world," she said.

Today's announcement follows a cross-party report by MPs this summer which warned that the internet had a "dark side" from which users need to be protected against.

spamsammich
09-18-08, 14:01
Not that I support their ban, but in the limited time I've spent in England, I saw WAY more knife related violence on the news than I normally see here. Especially among school children there. Maybe their news sources sensationalize it better than we do though.

JBnTX
09-18-08, 14:18
Their USA offices will soon follow suit and ban everything guns related.

We need to protest en masse when they do.

The Brits have already lost the battle, forget them.
The Brits should bury their guns, learn Arabic and
wait for a better day.

thopkins22
09-18-08, 20:55
The Brits don't have a constitutionally assured right of free speech like we do(for the most part anyway). If I'm not mistaken the govt there can literally ban certain articles and topics from newspapers for a couple of months or some other ridiculous amount of time. It's quite fitting that they merge two of their freedom hating policies into one anti-gun anti-free speech abortion of an idea to stop violent crime.

It won't have the slightest effect on the crime rate. Simply another step towards totalitarianism.

KACSR15
09-19-08, 10:38
I am not suprised at all. After living there for 4 1/2 years nothing seems off limits. Don't get me wrong there is a lot there that is great but they are just a little over board when it comes to "weapons".

See my sig picture.