PDA

View Full Version : Hammer and Trigger pins moving

thebolt
01-21-17, 10:21
I'm an LE instructor and have not seen this before and thought I would share the issue.

One of our officers purchased a brand new personal AR and he has only fired a couple hundred rounds through it since purchase last year. He told me the hammer or trigger pin (I forgot which one) came loose the last time he was out shooting and it pulled out of one side of the receiver, locking up his rifle. The pin was put back in before he came out and I looked at the rifle to insure the hammer and trigger pins were flush.

He fired about 20 rounds before asking me to look at the pins. I noticed the hammer and trigger pins are both moving out and were not flush after this small amount of firing. I know this can occur but I've never seen it before, even in high round count rifles. He's clearly disappointed in his rifle but does not want to return it to the manufacturer. I suggested locking pins as his only other alternative. I know many are not fans of the locking pins here but I've used them before and have been happy with them in my own rifles.

I'm sharing my experience to see if others have seen this problem.

Crazydave
01-21-17, 10:25
Why does he NOT want to return a new rifle still under warranty back to the manufacturer for repair ?

blade_68
01-21-17, 10:43
I have them in a few of my ARs not needed in them other than a 9mm one. Have you checked hammer for j clip? Some have slipped out without it. If it is the trigger pin something is wrong. The hammer spring should have it captured in the groove on the side of pin.

Toyoland66
01-21-17, 10:43
Pins don't walk if installed correctly.

Hammer has a j-spring which sits in a groove in the pin and keeps it from walking. If the hammer pin is walking the FCG may be missing this spring.

Trigger pin is retained by the legs of the hammer spring which sit in grooves on the trigger pin. If the trigger pin is walking then likely the legs are under instead of on topic the pin, or the hammer spring is installed backward and not exerting enough pressure.

It's either junk parts (missing j spring) or improper installation or both. Who's the mfg?

thebolt
01-21-17, 10:47
The mfg. is Ruger.

556BlackRifle
01-21-17, 11:08
With trigger pins I've seen this a number of times when the hammer spring is incorrectly installed or, when a low power hammer spring is used. With the hammer pin, it's held in place with a J-spring. I've only seen this once but you should check if it is there.

If the above info isn't helpful, check the pins. The hammer is retained by the engagement between the J-spring and the groove cut into the center of the pin. If no groove, it will walk. The trigger pin is retained by the engagment between the hammer spring legs and the groove(s) cut into the pin near the inner receiver wall. Again, no groove no retention. Could be out of spec pins.

A picture is worth a thousand words. If you can get us some decent pics, it will help diagnose the problem.

thebolt
01-21-17, 11:24
With trigger pins I've seen this a number of times when the hammer spring is incorrectly installed or, when a low power hammer spring is used. With the hammer pin, it's held in place with a J-spring. I've only seen this once but you should check if it is there.

If the above info isn't helpful, check the pins. The hammer is retained by the engagement between the J-spring and the groove cut into the center of the pin. If no groove, it will walk. The trigger pin is retained by the engagment between the hammer spring legs and the groove(s) cut into the pin near the inner receiver wall. Again, no groove no retention. Could be out of spec pins.

A picture is worth a thousand words. If you can get us some decent pics, it will help diagnose the problem.

This is not my rifle and I don't have access to it for further examination or for pictures. The shooter is not well versed in the AR platform and he would not have disassembled the rifle on his own. I believe he had someone put the pin in after it walked out but I was not at the range when that initially happened. Both pins were clearly walking out in my presence when he was shooting at our range this week.

I appreciate diagnosis of the problems and suggestions of potential problems by forum members.

Thank you!

Crazydave
01-21-17, 11:37
If the shooter is not comfortable making modifications or repairs he should contact Ruger and have them repair it or take it to a gunsmith.

Iraqgunz
01-22-17, 04:52
Incorrect assembly of the fire control group (hammer and/or trigger springs).

Missing or defective J spring in hammer.

Since he has no idea what's what, and you don't have access you need to tell him to contact Ruger and let them address it.

Thump_rrr
01-22-17, 20:45
Since he doesn't want to return it to the manufacturer, hopefully he is intelligent enough not to depend on it to save his life for the time being.
Others more experienced than me have already given the proper diagnosis.
There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to proplerly install a fire control group in an AR-15.

If all else fails a set of KNS anti rotation pins will prevent them from walking as a last resort.

https://youtu.be/Voc77e84Ops