PDA

View Full Version : 14.5", 16", or 16" middy?

condoor
09-18-08, 16:47
So I've been searching and reading the last week or so and I've learned a lot. I'm in the market for an AR, and I've narrowed my choices down to a handful of brands (LMT, CD, ADS, BCM), but I have a few more important questions:

My first question - which relates to the middy vs carbine question (yes I read a ton of middy vs carbine threads) - is whether to go 14.5 with a fixed flash supressor, or a 16" with removable. If I go with the 14.5 - the middy question is mute.

LMT is regarded very highly, but they don't seem to offer a midlength gas system. Would you rather have a 16" LMT carbine - or a 16" ADS middy?
Or - if you feel the middy is that important I could put a BCM middy upper on a LMT lower. Thoughts?

FYI - This is really my 'first' AR, and I likely won't buy another one. I am considering switching careers to something in LE, but for the time being the purpose of the rifle is for home protection, and range time, and not something I use for work.

Thanks again to all the great replies. I'm a bit of a 'forumaholic' and this is really a great forum.

markm
09-18-08, 16:55
Don't forget the Sabre defence 14.5" middy with extended A2 flash hider! :eek:

condoor
09-18-08, 16:59
Don't forget the Sabre defence 14.5" middy with extended A2 flash hider! :eek:

lol - I was hoping for some help narrowing down my choices - not increasing them! :D

markm
09-18-08, 17:08
The Sabre is the one I'd like to get if I could justify the expense of another upper.

Failure2Stop
09-18-08, 21:21
I think that someone's first AR should be the most versatile, which not only permits acceptable performance in the widest variety of circumstances, but also acts as a benchmark for the user- a known performer against which to test other layouts prior to purchase. To that end I would recommend a mid-length upper for your first/GP carbine.

I have a BCM 16" middie- its great. I really cant think of a more cost-effective upper. Mine is on an LMT lower. The fit of the upper to lower is the tightest I have ever had in an AR.

BCM upper w/ DD Lite rail, on an LMT lower w/ SOPMOD or UBR is the daddy.

Don't forget about Noveske- 14.5" middies and 16" middies. The 18" intermediate is pretty interesting as well, but I think while it would be great for an SPRish or 3-gun rifle would probably be a bit long for GP.

IrishDevil
09-18-08, 21:21
I have a 14.5" Sabre Mid upper and a 16" Sabre Mid. You're limited on rail choices with the 14.5", I run a DD Omega.

I'm all mid-length these days for the following reasons:
1. I like the longer handguard length, I find the carbine length short, especially with a light on the forend.
2. I like the recoil impulse of the mid-length over the carbine, as it seems to be softer, or maybe smoother is the correct description.
3. I enjoy shooting my irons now and then, and the longer sight radius works better.
4. The reduced bolt/carrier velocity, is easier on the gun. No need for O-rings and such.

maximus83
09-18-08, 21:48
The Sabre is the one I'd like to get if I could justify the expense of another upper.

+1. I have a Sabre 16" middy and it is excellent, best one in this configuration that I have laid hands on.

LOKNLOD
09-18-08, 22:15
I agree with the others on the advantages of the 16" mid-length gas platform for a general purpose "do all" carbine. I'd also add that the extra length of the handguards is a nice feature. It's nice to have room to choose my hand placement on the handguards. I've come to prefer a forward grip that is hard to get on carbine handguards without burning my hand on the FSB. Add a light and it's even more limiting. Just another thought.