PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

johnson601
09-18-08, 17:04
I notice that there alot of great photo's on on this forum. I would like to buy a new camera and would like to know what to look for. I know nothing about cameras so any info would be great. The camera would be used for anything from taking pictures of new parts for my ar's, to hunting trips. I know they can be very expensive and I am looking at the $400 price range. Thanks.

rob_s
09-18-08, 18:45
The first question is, do you want a "pocket" camera or do you want a DSLR (digital single lens reflex, the kind with the interchangeable lenses), or something in-between?

For pocket cameras, the Canon Digital Elph series takes the cake IMHO.

Dennis
09-18-08, 18:48
I have been thru a bunch of digicams and finally got a real DSLR to satisfy my quality wants. However, I still needed a new compact camera for general use and the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 was the best do-it-all choice. Super-wide AND 10x Zoom and HD 720P video pretty much sealed the deal. It's just a tiny bit bigger than most high end compacts nowadays.

There are choices with better individual features but nothing with as much capability. Also only $279ish online at real places like BHPhotovideo.com and Adorama.com. Well, you gotta get a SDHC card too, I would get at least 4GB and 8GB if you are gonna shoot video. Also make sure it is pretty fast, as least Class 4 (4mb/second).

Good Luck with your search!

Dennis.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_tz5-review/index.shtml

ps. I would absolutely go with a nice Canon compact if you didn't need to have wide/zoom/HD video all-in-one. 40D all the way! (It's a DSLR guys...)

theJanitor
09-18-08, 18:53
$400 cap pretty much rules out the DSLR's. even the cheapest ones are more and require support equipment that the pocket cams have built in. i'm a canon guy and i wouldn't recommend a DSLR under the 30D, which you can buy used for great money. i personally use a 40D.

Knownot
09-18-08, 18:57
For a point and shoot type camera, I would go with a Canon PowerShot A720 IS. It is about $200, easy to use and takes really good pics.

johnson601
09-18-08, 19:08
Thanks for the info, I had no idea so much went into buying a camera:eek:. Hopefully this time I can get one that I like, thanks again.

ToddG
09-18-08, 19:48
Some thoughts:

As has been stated, $400 rules out DSLR cameras.
Understand what features you want & need; find cameras with those features. Things like burst mode, macro mode, ability to shoot in low light (without flash & with a built-in flash), picture modes, video mode, etc., are useful to some people and meaningless to others. Know what you want the camera for and find a camera that does those things.
Don't spend $0.01 to get extra resolution over 8MP or so. The tiny sensors on P&S digital cameras actually lose quality when you go past 8MP. You get more dots, but the dots aren't as true a representation of what you were seeing when you snapped the shutter.
Stick with a name brand. If you see the brand name and "camera" is the first word that comes to your mind, you're moving in the right direction.
Cool guys buy Canon.

HolyRoller
09-18-08, 20:13
Leica is certainly associated with cameras, and has been for thousands of years. Leica is also associated with thousands of dollars, like 5600 of them for an M8 withOUT lenses.

Panasonic may or may not be associated with cameras, unless you watch Formula One and see the Lumix advertising lollipop in the Toyota pits. But Panasonic is also not associated with huge prices.

So, get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5--with Leica lenses! for about $300! And have $100 left over for a carrying case and a spare battery for hunting trips, and a couple of 2gig cards.

This is a P&S pocket camera (it fits in MY pocket even better than a J-frame does) that is also possibly the first complete replacement for a camcorder. The movies are great and EVERYbody says "wow those are great pictures!" not least because the preview screen takes up almost the whole back of the camera. I'm not any kind of pro or hobby photographer, but they say to get a decent image, you must start with decent lenses, because there's only so much processing you can do to crummy images. Leica and Panny have been in cahoots for years, and Leica glass means you ask as little as possible of the image processing software. Here's one from last month's trip to San Diego, and believe me it looks even better without mashing it down for this forum:

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/chrisatty/2008-09-01043.jpg

This cam has a very smart automatic mode selection that picks your focus and settings and flash for you. Or you can fiddle with modes and stuff yourself if you know what you want. You can zoom when taking movies, which even some Leicas can't do.

Really look into the DMC-TZ5 and don't mistake it for the next model down that doesn't take movies.

ST911
09-19-08, 11:26
For pocket cameras, the Canon Digital Elph series takes the cake IMHO.

For a point and shoot type camera, I would go with a Canon PowerShot A720 IS. It is about $200, easy to use and takes really good pics.

Some thoughts: Cool guys buy Canon.[/list]

Another vote for Canons. Own and use several.

Second choice(s) would split brands a bit, with the nod going to the Nikons in DSLRs and Sonys in pocket cams.

Voodoochild
09-19-08, 12:09
For good prices on cameras and other electronic stuff look at beachcamera.com. I bought a camera from them a couple years ago and they have good deals for sure.

MerQ
09-19-08, 18:30
Now's a great time to start your digicam search. Photokina 08 is next week and a slew of new models will be announced which means the current models will be liquidated fairly soon (say mid October to early December.) Of my personal recommendations in your price range I would definitely take a close look at the Panasonic TZ-5 and various Canon, Olympus, and Nikon models. The AF on the Canons tend to be a bit better than the Nikons. There are a few Olympus' that have underwater photography features (i.e. the case is waterproof up to 10ft or 3m if you will.)

If your budget expands about $100 more you can get some of the more advanced P&S models like the Canon G9 (or G10 that was announced a few days ago) or the Panasonic LX-3 which has one of the fastest and widest lenses for a compact P&S camera (albeit with a limited zoom capability.) The LX-3 and also shoot in 3 aspect ratios (3:2, 4:3, and 16:9.) Both of these cameras will allow you to image using RAW capability (uncompressed file) but if may not matter to you if you don't plan to do much post processing or only want to do "web photos." The option is great to have anyway IMO if you can swallow the additional costs.

MerQ
09-19-08, 18:33
Leica is certainly associated with cameras, and has been for thousands of years. Leica is also associated with thousands of dollars, like 5600 of them for an M8 withOUT lenses.

Try $6300 for the Leica M8.2 body alone... A bit optimistic from them IMO for what adds up to minor changes and the same sensor from 2 or 3 yrs ago.

rob_s
09-19-08, 18:55
I've been looking very hard at the Olympus SW line as they are shock and waterproof. Good combination for what we do. Seems like every time I bring my camera out to a match or a class I get caught in the rain.

ZDL
09-19-08, 19:16
I bought my wife a cannon power shot sd950is digital elph 12.1 MP. It's tricky (for the non shutterbugs like me) but once you know how to work the camera it is truly amazing for the size and price.

She also has a standard rebel that produces some amazing results as well.

300LW
09-19-08, 21:44
+1 for the Panasonic TZ5. Easy to use, has 10x optical zoom, full 3" display and fits in your shirt pocket. Currently the best buy in a sub-$300 camera.

dwhitehorne
09-20-08, 12:35
I just went through the process of trying to decide on a new digital camera. I went with the Canon A720 IS. It's a good size not to small or to big. My main options I wanted was optial image stabilization and I wanted the zoom to work through the view finder. The A720IS has a ton more features than I will probably use but I got it on sale:D. There is so much camera info on the net that is over my head it was actually more confusing than not. I finally went to a few sites and looked at their recommended buys and picked the one closest to what I thought I needed. Gook Luck. David

theJanitor
09-20-08, 12:38
Fredmiranda.com
POTN.com
dpreview.com

are good places to start in looking for a camera and learning how to use it.

MerQ
09-20-08, 15:34
You can also check out The Olympus E420 if you expand your budget a bit as well. It's an entry level dSLR type camera using the 4/3 standard. It's great for the price. I've seen them before with the standard 14-42 (28mm-84mm equivalent in 35mm scale) kit lens for about $425 if you shop around. Also check out these forums in addition the the ones above.

GetDPI.com
Rangefinderforum.com
TexasPhotoForum.com
fourthirdsphoto.com

FJB
09-20-08, 16:13
I've been looking very hard at the Olympus SW line as they are shock and waterproof. Good combination for what we do. Seems like every time I bring my camera out to a match or a class I get caught in the rain.

Rob,
I brought my Olympus Stylus 850 SW 8 Megpixel to Alaska this past week to work as a Bear Guard for enviro-scientists protecting them from Brown Bears. It is shock proof (which if you know me is a requirement) and water proof to 15ft. The Camera with stood lots of inclimate weather and worked great. The scientists actually use the Olympus Stylus SW cameras up here for the same reason. Those studying salmon habitat actually snorkel with them and take pictures under water with them without some sort of submersible plastic housing that is normally required for other cameras.

S/F

JStor
09-20-08, 17:44
I went with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 with 12X optical zoom because it has a Leica lense. If I recall it sells somewhere in your price range. Good camera but it is not a pocket carry type.