PDA

View Full Version : UXO technician

Dist. Expert 26
01-23-17, 13:56
A good friend of mine is planning to attend a UXO tech course at University of Tennessee this summer and is encouraging me to go with him. I'm not very happy with my current job and I don't look forward to another 2 years of college to get a real degree. This course is 7 weeks and graduates supposedly start at around 50k a year.

Does anyone have experience in the civilian UXO world? Are jobs easy to come by or is the market super competitive? Do you typically work on a contract basis or for a full time employer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ABNAK
01-23-17, 14:14
Just went to UT's website and read about the program. Sounds pretty cool if you have nothing to go on already. If I wasn't 51yo and already in my respective field for nearly 27 years I'd give it a whirl (I can retire in 11 more years, so not gonna mess that up!).

You're a relatively recent vet, right? I saw where some form of the GI Bill is applicable to help pay for the course. Go to UT's website and check it out.

Dist. Expert 26
01-23-17, 14:16
I've checked out the course, it sounds legit. The GI bill will cover the costs so there's no concern about money.

My dilemma is whether or not it's worth quitting a solid job over.

ABNAK
01-23-17, 14:34
I've checked out the course, it sounds legit. The GI bill will cover the costs so there's no concern about money.

My dilemma is whether or not it's worth quitting a solid job over.

You're an adult, so telling you this may or may not jive with your line of thinking on the subject: there are jobs, and then there are careers. The former is dealing with it and paying your bills while hopefully living comfortably. The latter is a "calling from God" of sorts. Sometimes careers won't pay as well, but you'll be happier. Quite frankly, as long as the job you currently have doesn't make you want to suck-start a Glock, and it pays well, keep doing it.

The vast majority of us working schleps just deal with our chosen livelihoods. A much smaller percentage actually enjoy what they do for a living. Chasing that dream may or may not work out......reference all the aspiring actors, singers, writers, etc. who are just waiting for that "one big break" (at 50+ years of age) and waiting on tables to keep the lights on.

You're relatively young and the UXO thing sounds somewhat exotic as far as jobs are concerned. Will it pay more? Will you like that more? Sounds like it would entail a good bit of travel, be it privately contracting or as a government employee.

Dist. Expert 26
01-23-17, 15:45
To answer those questions I really need to talk with someone in the industry. It sounds like something I'd enjoy, but if there isn't career potential I don't want to waste time pursuing it.

Voodoochild
01-23-17, 16:32
There are a lot of private organizations and NGO's that go all over the world doing UXO work. So there is always going to be a need for people willing to do the work.

I just did a quick Google search and found this place.

http://uxoglobal.com/about-uxo-technicians/

w3453l
01-23-17, 21:55
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is also something I have been very interested in

I know there is a vision test, but do you know if they check color vision as well? I do have a form of red green color blindness and I know that's an issue with LEO jobs.

Jer
01-23-17, 22:08
My gut reaction is there's plenty of ways to make that kind of money w/o dealing with explosives. Personally, I prefer not working a job where a bad day ends in me losing my life. Call me crazy but my ability to provide for my family is more important and a nice sales job is just what the Dr ordered in my case. That's just me and I'm sure plenty here will disagree with me given the type of member we tend to have here.

Dist. Expert 26
01-23-17, 22:15
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is also something I have been very interested in

I know there is a vision test, but do you know if they check color vision as well? I do have a form of red green color blindness and I know that's an issue with LEO jobs.

From what I've read you cannot be color blind.

Honestly the risk makes it all the more interesting to me. Working normal, safe jobs is boring.

ABNAK
01-24-17, 05:44
From what I've read you cannot be color blind.

Honestly the risk makes it all the more interesting to me. Working normal, safe jobs is boring.

Then go for it! Make sure over time you get the UXO II and eventually UXO III ratings for even more $$$.

eodinert
01-28-17, 19:38
I did UXO work or 'Migrant bullet picking' for several years... I wouldn't do it now.

It used to be that one had to be qualified EOD to do it.. and they had to pay accoordingly. There was usually per diem to be had, too. Rock and roll pay, military comradery, and a bit of travel thrown in to keep it interesting. Life was good.

But, all good things must come to an end, this did too. The Army Corp of Engineers decided they could do more with less if they got rid of the knowledge requirement, so they did. Now you have crews working that have very little knowledge and no experience... and low pay.

Is it worth it? Financially, I guess it depends on where you are in life. Safety wise, it's not brilliant either.

davidjinks
01-29-17, 10:48
Since the changes to DDESB TP18, being a UXO technician in the current climate is shit.

Being a graduate of UXO tech 1 school makes life and little bit more shitty.

Feel free to PM me. I'm sure posting what I want to post is a violation of COC.

Not to pour water on your fire...if you're looking for a job that's going to raise the hair on your neck and give you a tingle in your sack, learn how to be a skydiving instructor and get into that business.

user
01-29-17, 14:13
Stay in school and get a real degree....

eodinert
01-30-17, 20:19
If you really want to shake things up, I have a friend that went to a demining course in Bosnia (he was military, but infantry, no UXO experience)... Now he travels the world working on demining contracts. A lot of contracts I have have seen will be predominantly IED related, but have EOD billets (Brit speak for UXO only, not including IED work) because they can pay UXO people less. As I recall, my buddy paid about $7k for his certification, and went to Bosnia for several months to complete the course.

The problem with that is that the contracts (and money) are shifting over to IED related contracts...so there are international UXO jobs out there, but they are getting harder to find. You can also get IED certifications on the civilian side, too... but IMO you are getting into some dodgy shit with that.

An issue with the international gigs is you'll probably need to belly up to a no-shit mine field, a field of BLU-97s, or an IED... so it's best if you're passionate about it.

Iraq is the latest new thing ;-) ... Lots of fun contracts popping up in Kurdistan/Mosul area.