PDA

View Full Version : Strange AR mag, can anyone identify ?

wildcard600
01-23-17, 14:38
Buddy of mine came across this weird mag when going through some stuff. The baseplate is Bushmaster, but from the look it has been removed at least a time or two so not necessarily a BM magazine.

I've never seem one like this before and have no idea why it was designed this way. Mag on the right is the one in question -

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=43631&d=1485203874

Eurodriver
01-23-17, 15:25
Is it heavier (SS) than an aluminum USGI mag? Does a magnet stick to it?

Whenever I have an unknown magazine I perform the following steps:

Throw magazine in trash.
Buy Magpul PMAG.

Then I know it is a Magpul PMAG.

Outlander Systems
01-23-17, 15:50
^ I lol'd at this.

Firefly
01-23-17, 16:44
If it is steel and has a slot on the right side that is longer and finer, it is potentially a Sterling hybrid AR-15/AR-180 magazine.

Otherwise it could be a rebuilt mag. I recall a bunch of Adventureline and Imperial Defence SA80 magazines during the ban.

I still have some SA80 mags and they work pretty good.

If you do have a real hybrid mag, the right people may be interested in it. Post a pic of the right side of it.

Not me necessarily, just saying

wildcard600
01-23-17, 17:32
If it is steel and has a slot on the right side that is longer and finer, it is potentially a Sterling hybrid AR-15/AR-180 magazine.

Otherwise it could be a rebuilt mag. I recall a bunch of Adventureline and Imperial Defence SA80 magazines during the ban.

I still have some SA80 mags and they work pretty good.

If you do have a real hybrid mag, the right people may be interested in it. Post a pic of the right side of it.

Not me necessarily, just saying

Pretty sure it's aluminum and otherwise appears to be a standard AR magazine with the exception of the extra "bump" above the mag stop. I don't have it in my possession now but might be able to get some pictures later if anyone is terribly interested in it.

Ohsheepdog01
01-24-17, 13:00

Throw magazine in trash.
Buy Magpul PMAG.

[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] or a Lancer.

JoshNC
01-24-17, 13:23

Throw magazine in trash.
Buy Magpul PMAG.

Hahahaha, I about blew coffee out of my nose reading this.

Digital_Damage
01-24-17, 13:51
Old STANAG magazine for SA80 before HK redesigned it, it had nothing but problems.

Firefly
01-24-17, 20:02
I agree. SA80 mag. I pulled out my AR18 mag and the mag pictured doesnt have the little circular cut out.

I don't know what Generation of SA80 magazines the Imperial Defence were, but mine is steel and black. It is functionally no better or worse than the HK steel mag. I still use it once and again.

But from what, anecdotally, I know of SA80 lore; HK did a lot to overhaul them to include better mags.

CRAMBONE
01-24-17, 20:12
But from what, anecdotally, I know of SA80 lore; HK did a lot to overhaul them to include better mags.

Ian at Forgotten Weapons has a video on the SA80. I believe he said H&K replaced everything except the receiver and one or two small things.

bamashooter
01-25-17, 08:26

Throw magazine in trash.
Buy Magpul PMAG.

Too funny. :lol::sarcastic::lol::sarcastic::dance3:

JasonB1
01-25-17, 09:35
Any chance it was for an arm pistol or assault rifle?