PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an NFA form?

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 17:14
So I own a Colt 6920 and I'm thinking of dropping the 16 inch barrel for a 14.5 inch and not sure if I I have too full out an NFA form. Ohio state law I believe is it has too be longer than 26 inches, and right now fully extended its 35.5 inches and with a 14.5 inch it would be 34.5. But since I'm under a 16 inch barrel do I have too get an NFA stamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoveskeFan
01-26-17, 17:17
Yes. As I understand it, under 16" requires a tax stamp unless you pin and weld a muzzle device to the barrel to make it back over the 16" federal requirement.

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 17:18
And suggestions on a good muzzle device?

NoveskeFan
01-26-17, 17:24
Are you looking to SBR the rifle or pin & weld? What do you want the rifle to do? Flash suppression or mitigate muzzle climb? Just looking for shortest legal length?

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 17:26
Mainly looking too make it shorter lighter and compact for maneuvering, I guess I'd like too pin and weld so I wouldn't have too file. Mainly I'd like too hide the flash

NoveskeFan
01-26-17, 17:35
I have a 13.7" Ballistic Advantage barrel with a B.E. Meyers 249F flash hider that was pinned & welded. Nice, tight & light with awesome flash suppression.

Shameless pic:

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfsm8ydmn.jpeg

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 17:37
Now that's what I like I want it short and the the rail to butt up too the muzzle I got the centurion C4 cut out rail but I might get rid of it and buy a gas block on it and get the Daniel defense m4a1 ris 2 guard

NoveskeFan
01-26-17, 17:51
Now that's what I like I want it short and the the rail to butt up too the muzzle I got the centurion C4 cut out rail but I might get rid of it and buy a gas block on it and get the Daniel defense m4a1 ris 2 guard

Yeah, the above rail is a 13" BCM KMR-A. I also have two 14.5" pin & weld builds, one with another 13" KMR and the other is a Daniel Defense with a 12" rail. The BCM MOD-1 flash hider seems better at flash suppression than the Battle Comp, but the B.E. Meyers appears best of the three to my eyes.

DD:
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_9579_zpsjiitpkwi.jpg

BCM (pay no mind to the selector):
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_8948_zps04pj1op2.jpg

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 17:54
Your Daniel defense build is exactly what I want. That's with a pinned mod 1 flash suppressor? If I go that route will a gunsmith weld it?

NoveskeFan
01-26-17, 17:59
Your Daniel defense build is exactly what I want. That's with a pinned mod 1 flash suppressor? If I go that route will a gunsmith weld it?

The DD has a Battlecomp 1.5. A gunsmith that offers that service can do it, or you can send it to an online vendor like ADCO.

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 18:17
Ok I'll check into that, I wasn't going too remove the A2 sight but with optics I almost think it's kind of pointless too keep it

bighawk
01-26-17, 20:00
If you are going to go with a 14.5 and pin and weld it there are some things I would take into consideration..

-Do you plan to buy a suppressor at any time in the near future? If you do make sure you get the appropriate muzzle device for that suppressor pinned and welded so you do not have to have it redone at a later date. It is expensive and time consuming.

-If you are not going to keep the fixed front sight post and want to go free float consider most free float hand guards have proprietary barrel nuts which you have to remove the gas block to swap out. That requires removing the muzzle device so you can take off the gas block.

The difference between a pinned and welded 14.5 and a 16" with an A2 is about an inch maybe a little less. It seems like you are going to go through an awful lot of trouble to save yourself an inch. I wont say I don't understand it though, considering until a few years ago having an SBR in my state was not legal and the shortest overall length seemed like a big deal to me so I have a few 14.5" middys pinned and welded. They're great guns but I also have a 16" gun and the difference is hardly noticeable and I can certainly say I wouldn't go through all the trouble if I already had a functional 16" gun. If you do decide to go with a 14.5 I would definitely look into 14.5 middys.

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 20:04
That's what I've been sitting here considering. It might be something to do at a later time if I wear the barrel out. But I do believe I'm gonna go with a free float flat top rail, I like the DD M4 ris 2. I can't imagine swapping barrel nuts is that bad if you buy all the tools as well.

nova3930
01-26-17, 20:23
Pin and weld is a gigantic PITA from my experience . Either pay the stamp or stick to 16" imo

Nate
NAAH Tool Works
Naahtoolworks@gmail.com

MistWolf
01-26-17, 20:24
Going against the grain here- I find the difference in handling between a 16" and a 14.5" barrel to be subtle, but worth the hassle to make it legal

RobertTheTexan
01-26-17, 20:51
Mainly looking too make it shorter lighter and compact for maneuvering, I guess I'd like too pin and weld so I wouldn't have too file. Mainly I'd like too hide the flash

One of the best flash hiding devices I have ever used or seen is Precision Armament AFAB Mini. Straight up. I run other really good muzzle devices as well. Lantac Dragon (good for climb) and BattleComp 2.0 as well as smith vortex FH. None of them come even close to AFAB. Price is about $109 or so.
I made a video comparing it to my BattleComp. It is an amazing device.

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 21:57
I was lookin at the BCM 1.5 mod 1 and the Battle comps all seem really well. Anyone notice much difference in rise with recoil on them?

RobertTheTexan
01-26-17, 22:46
Going against the grain here- I find the difference in handling between a 16" and a 14.5" barrel to be subtle, but worth the hassle to make it legal

Totally agree with Mist. My PITA was all of a whopping $39 bucks + $15 for shipping to Rainier Arms. They did an excellent job, as expected. Had I built a 14.5 first, I wouldn't own a 16" today. At least in 5.56.

pew. PITA Threat down

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 22:49
Hell sounds like I ought too just fill the paper work out then, I'd like to get a suppressor eventually 14.5 suppressed would be slick

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 22:49
Not to mention my neighbors might be happier haha

RobertTheTexan
01-26-17, 22:53
Lol there is that. But it also might keep them in line. Ha!

Shrillar67
01-26-17, 22:57
lol that's true too, but they are older folks I'd like a suppressed weapon really too keep the noise down and not bother them. It would be a lot of fun too drill with though too. I found a couple classes as well I wanna go take only $150 a person figure I could get my old man out with me so he can learn his too

J4ggy
01-27-17, 06:20

Not that I'm trying to tell you how to spend your money but I'll throw in a question...how much weight will you actually save and how much will it shorten the length? With the extended Muzzle device you are looking at about an inch? I think mods like this, while cool, are solutions looking for answers. What kind of "maneuvering" are you talking about and will an inch truly make a difference in the end?

I'd check into a local gun shop If you are questioning the lawfulness of your actions.

afff_667
01-27-17, 08:32
My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it, but I'll chime in here. I went the 14.5" mid-length route with permanent muzzle device once for no other reason than to have a rifle shorter than the other 16" ones I owned (all mid-length). In then end, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze for me, and I went the NFA route last spring and replaced the 14.5" barreled upper with an 11.5" barreled upper. I found that the handling differences between a 16" and 14.5" barrel were very subtle, but the difference, in my opinion, between 16" or even 14.5" (with permanent muzzle device) and 11.5" is much more profound. For me, an SBR was an itch I had to scratch at the time, but I'll go that way on any future AR purchases.

bighawk
01-27-17, 10:35
That's what I've been sitting here considering. It might be something to do at a later time if I wear the barrel out. But I do believe I'm gonna go with a free float flat top rail, I like the DD M4 ris 2. I can't imagine swapping barrel nuts is that bad if you buy all the tools as well.

You cant go wrong with a RIS II rail but they are more difficult to find since DD does not sell them separate anymore.

Don't get me wrong 14.5 rifles are awesome and my Noveske 14.5 is one of my favorite guns but if I had to do it over again I would just get 16's now that I have multiple SBRs. My point about swapping rails was not to say that it is difficult because with the right tools it is not, but to say pick your rail BEFORE you decide to pin and weld due to the cost and PITA of swapping after.

Shrillar67
01-27-17, 10:50
Great so To get a DD I'll have too shop around. I think ill eventually short barrel it but not for awhile, I was more curious about the law.

bighawk
01-27-17, 11:10
If you decide to go real short you could SBR the lower and shoot it with the 16 until your stamp comes back and then buy a DD MK18 upper if you really want the RIS II rail.

But yes anything under 16 inch has to have a muzzle device pinned and welded to make it 16" or you need a stamp..

teksid
01-27-17, 16:12
I found a NIB Colt LE6921CK on Armslist for a song. I had a BCM Mod1 (1.5") pinned and welded on it. I like it and for the price I'm happy about it. Its quickly becoming my favorite AR.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/23b90dd456e6e68beff16f8b299bde39.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/39f32968c02000a9dc50601c17e162b6.jpg