PDA

View Full Version : Steiner P4Xi 1-4x Scope

Mrgunsngear
01-26-17, 20:34
http://i.imgur.com/MAN7Y7il.jpg

Pros:
-Price point and quality balance (sub $500)
-unobstructed reticle
-comes with throw lever
-daylight bright illumination
-relatively clean edges for the price
-lifetime transferrable warranty

Cons:
-not the crispest adjustments in the turrets
-some viewers have commented they want caps

Video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRm4rU2bK3Q

mballz23
01-27-17, 02:35
Great video as usual. I wish your review was out when I bought mine awhile back, but I concur with all of your points. The want of scope caps is a moot point for me however, I'd lose a set of caps that would come with a scope in this price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captiva
01-27-17, 06:11
Great vid production and you had good timing to get it at $460USD. 26% more now. Was ready to buy @ $460!

Mrgunsngear
01-27-17, 09:49
Great vid production and you had good timing to get it at $460USD. 26% more now. Was ready to buy @ $460!

Well get ready to buy because here (http://shrsl.com/?g7fy) it is for $459 shipped when you hit "see our low price" ;)

Singlestack Wonder
01-27-17, 11:31
I'm pleased to see Steiner kept the reticle in a combat format (i.e. each increment is a man's shoulders at designated range) instead of going with a fixed, gun game non-ranging reticle.

Would like to have seen the dedicated 5.56 reticle (5.56 3TR) offered here in the states vs. the combo 5.56/7.62 P3TR reticle.

bates
01-27-17, 11:54
i asked and was told there should be a moa and mil based reticle possibly coming to this optic.

it was one of the items to check out for me, and i was impressed for the price. as long as it holds up this is a great low priced variable.

xeero
01-27-17, 12:16
Thanks for putting out a review for this one! It's in the top three on my list right now.

gaijin
01-27-17, 14:48
Helpful review.
I've been running this Steiner on a 16" gun for 6 months.
It's been drug around at the ranch and used none too gently.
No issues to date.
I have the Military 1X4 as well. It's a great LPV, but it is a boat anchor.
The substantially lighter weight of the PX4i was a selling point for me.

TomMcC
01-27-17, 16:22
I have a minor quandary. I have been looking to upgrade my optic within a certain budget. Can't really blow a G or more. My eyes are getting a bit old and I'm having a little trouble picking up 10" steel at 200 yds quickly. I was thinking of going to a 1-6 in the $400-500 range, but there just is not really too many decent optics in that range. Now we have the Steiner PX4i. Would the lack of 2X more, but with better glass and a better reticle more than offset a 1-6 with less better glass? I'm thinking it might, but what do you guys think? I just want to see things at range more quickly.

gaijin
01-27-17, 16:28
I have a minor quandary......Would the lack of 2X more, but with better glass and a better reticle more than offset a 1-6 with less better glass? I'm thinking it might, but what do you guys think? I just want to see things at range more quickly.

Yes.
Better glass trumps more magnification- every time.

TomMcC
01-27-17, 16:35
It's sounding more and more like the Schott glass in this optic is very very good in this price range. Thanks for your view.....I've been leaning this way for a while, but wasn't quite sure. Input from guys who have actually used it and looked through other scopes in comparison is helpful.

mballz23
01-27-17, 22:15
I have a minor quandary. I have been looking to upgrade my optic within a certain budget. Can't really blow a G or more. My eyes are getting a bit old and I'm having a little trouble picking up 10" steel at 200 yds quickly. I was thinking of going to a 1-6 in the $400-500 range, but there just is not really too many decent optics in that range. Now we have the Steiner PX4i. Would the lack of 2X more, but with better glass and a better reticle more than offset a 1-6 with less better glass? I'm thinking it might, but what do you guys think? I just want to see things at range more quickly.

Yes.

I've shot out to 500 with my P4Xi. 4" plate at 200 and a 4" plate at 350. 10" plate at 500. Very easy to pick up. The glass is very clear.

TomMcC
01-27-17, 23:39
Yes.

I've shot out to 500 with my P4Xi. 4" plate at 200 and a 4" plate at 350. 10" plate at 500. Very easy to pick up. The glass is very clear.

Thanks

TomMcC
01-28-17, 00:45
And thanks to Mrgunsandgear for another informative video.

Mrgunsngear
01-28-17, 08:15
And thanks to Mrgunsandgear for another informative video.
Thanks for watching!

SiGfever
01-28-17, 09:42
GREAT review as always, very "eye opening" (pun intended).

Alpine2k3
02-01-17, 16:19
Great review, going to get one of these to put on my SR-15

militarymoron
02-01-17, 19:06
Well get ready to buy because here (http://shrsl.com/?g7fy) it is for $459 shipped when you hit "see our low price" ;)

Good review! I tried buying one from there a few weeks ago. It was in stock when I ordered it, kept waiting for shipping confirmation, but didn't receive one. Called them after two days and customer service said that it was in stock and would ship out the next day. No shipping confirmation again. Sent an email 10 days after placing the order. Got a reply saying it wasn't in stock. I cancelled the order, then ordered it from another vendor for $40 more and received it 4 days after placing the order. No included throw lever though. But you know..."a bird in the hand..." etc.

Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but I like what I see so far. With my aging eyes, my eyesight isn't always corrected to 20/20 depending on which glasses I'm wearing. With aimpoints or eotechs, they require 20/20 for a crisp dot/reticle. I like the diopter ring on the PX4i; I can sharpen up the reticle/dot/image even if my vision isn't fully corrected. Very useful feature for anyone with corrected vision and astigmatism.

TomMcC
02-02-17, 10:16
Good review! I tried buying one from there a few weeks ago. It was in stock when I ordered it, kept waiting for shipping confirmation, but didn't receive one. Called them after two days and customer service said that it was in stock and would ship out the next day. No shipping confirmation again. Sent an email 10 days after placing the order. Got a reply saying it wasn't in stock. I cancelled the order, then ordered it from another vendor for $40 more and received it 4 days after placing the order. No included throw lever though. But you know..."a bird in the hand..." etc.

Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but I like what I see so far. With my aging eyes, my eyesight isn't always corrected to 20/20 depending on which glasses I'm wearing. With aimpoints or eotechs, they require 20/20 for a crisp dot/reticle. I like the diopter ring on the PX4i; I can sharpen up the reticle/dot/image even if my vision isn't fully corrected. Very useful feature for anyone with corrected vision and astigmatism.

It seems to me you've probably had many more opportunities to look through different scopes than I, what is your opinion of the glass and resolving power?

militarymoron
02-02-17, 11:00
It seems to me you've probably had many more opportunities to look through different scopes than I, what is your opinion of the glass and resolving power?

Comparing the resolution to my NF 2.5-10x on 4x, I have a hard time distinguishing between the two in terms of resolution, so I'd say that it's pretty good. Typically I'll put something (like a USPS mailing box) with different size font out about 30 yards or so and see which is the smallest font I can read. The PX4i and NF are pretty much identical in that respect. It's tough because my eyes fatigue quickly. As others have mentioned, the glass is very clear without distortion near the edges. I really need to get out and shoot this, but so far I like what I see.

I forgot to add that another thing I like about it is that most scopes have a focusing eyepiece, but they usually have a lock ring, and the entire eyepiece rotates. The PX4i doesn't have a lock ring; only the very end of it rotates, so it's more convenient and quicker to adjust.

Pilot1
02-02-17, 11:46
It's sounding more and more like the Schott glass in this optic is very very good in this price range. .

I have IOR/Valdada binoculars with Schott glass, and they are excellent. Their scopes are much more expensive than this Steiner.

TomMcC
02-02-17, 14:52
Comparing the resolution to my NF 2.5-10x on 4x, I have a hard time distinguishing between the two in terms of resolution, so I'd say that it's pretty good. Typically I'll put something (like a USPS mailing box) with different size font out about 30 yards or so and see which is the smallest font I can read. The PX4i and NF are pretty much identical in that respect. It's tough because my eyes fatigue quickly. As others have mentioned, the glass is very clear without distortion near the edges. I really need to get out and shoot this, but so far I like what I see.

I forgot to add that another thing I like about it is that most scopes have a focusing eyepiece, but they usually have a lock ring, and the entire eyepiece rotates. The PX4i doesn't have a lock ring; only the very end of it rotates, so it's more convenient and quicker to adjust.

Thanks, very helpful.

shootist~
02-03-17, 22:31
Sighted mine in today. Reticle works well with older eyes, and glass is very good.

So how do you re-set turrets to zero after sight-in?? Or is this a price offset to keep it affordable?

militarymoron
02-03-17, 23:58
So how do you re-set turrets to zero after sight-in?? Or is this a price offset to keep it affordable?

I don't think they're zero-reset turrets. you just sight in and cap them (I believe).

bamashooter
02-04-17, 08:31
Sighted mine in today. Reticle works well with older eyes, and glass is very good.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but the pdf speakes to resettable zeros. Launch the .pdf then enter zero in your browser find tool and you'll get several hits. HTH. http://www.odumagazine.com/tag/riflescope/?print=pdf-search

shootist~
02-04-17, 13:20
No joy on getting the turrets re-set to zero. I even removed the two little screws on the windage turret to no avail. This after buggering the screwhead on one.

Thanks for the replies. MM appears to be correct: Just set and forget.

TomMcC
02-04-17, 15:34
Yeah, MrG mentioned the turrets in his vid. Set once and forget.

KTR03
02-05-17, 13:26
I am running one on a Sig 553 sbr. Very clear and size efficient on such a small gun. I was thinking red dot but this gives the best of both worlds as long as you don't forget to turn it off.
Got the same run around from Botach and Optics Planet and missed Christmas. Bought it for 570 and think it is worth that.

StevethePirate
02-09-17, 14:36
How would you stack the P4Xi up against something like a Nightforce 1-4? I understand the cost difference, but I'm wondering if the reticle brightness on the Steiner offsets the glass of the Nightforce. For me, it's from a perspective of the gun being an up close gun first (0-100 yards), then a mid-range gun second.

gaijin
02-09-17, 15:08
I have a NF 1X4 on the shelf.
It's been relegated to back up status.
Both of my Steiner's are on guns.

StevethePirate
02-09-17, 15:56
That's pretty impressive, Gaijin. Are your two Steiners on work / defensive guns, or are they more competition / range guns? Thanks!

gaijin
02-09-17, 15:59
One of them stays in the security vault in my FJ and is always with me.
The other is a range/competition/"ranch" gun.

N0mad
03-04-17, 14:40
Thanks to the OP review and excellent comments by others which convinced me this was the right optic for my budget and needs.

Picked up one of these from DSG Thursday with their 15% off sale replacing a Nikon P223 3-9X40 that I've had on a BCM upper for several years just being a casual shooter I just couldn't justify a $1000.00+ optic.

-- Mark

Korgs130
03-13-17, 08:48
Thanks to the OP review and excellent comments by others which convinced me this was the right optic for my budget and needs.
-- Mark

Likewise. I've been on the look out for a lighter weight LPV with a daylight visible red dot to replace the H-1 on my GP BCM Recce 14. I just mounted the one got from DSG. I love the reticule and am amazed by how bright the dot is. It really just as bright as an Aimpoint.

WickedWillis
03-13-17, 18:28
Likewise. I've been on the look out for a lighter weight LPV with a daylight visible red dot to replace the H-1 on my GP BCM Recce 14. I just mounted the one got from DSG. I love the reticule and am amazed by how bright the dot is. It really just as bright as an Aimpoint.

I Just ordered mine from DSG for my DD RECCE build as well. Deal and feedback were just too good to pass up right now

scooter22
03-14-17, 11:52
What's the consensus on the ADM Recon mount ?

Official Kremlin Transmission

gaijin
03-14-17, 12:22
I've had no trouble with the few I'm using.
Guess I have more confidence in the Larue and Bobro's I have, as they appear a bit more substantial.
This is likely just my perception.
I will say the vertically split rings (from any manufacturer) are a royal pain in the ass to mount a scope.
My latest mount is a MI, because it has horizontally split rings.
Time will tell if it holds up- although it appears substantial.

WickedWillis
03-14-17, 12:39
I've had no trouble with the few I'm using.
Guess I have more confidence in the Larue and Bobro's I have, as they appear a bit more substantial.
This is likely just my perception.
I will say the vertically split rings (from any manufacturer) are a royal pain in the ass to mount a scope.
My latest mount is a MI, because it has horizontally split rings.
Time will tell if it holds up- although it appears substantial.

This being my very first 1-4 optic, I thought I would go with the mount the deal came with. I will put it through it's paces and see if it ends up being a keep or not, but I will post my thoughts after mounting and zeroing.

Yojimbo
03-19-17, 21:33
I got my DSG combo with the ADM Recon mount last week. I was finally able to mount the scope and bore sight it this weekend. My initial thoughts are that the glass is excellent for the price, the reticle is exactly what I was looking for, simple and clean. The illumination is great and is definitely daylight visible even on very bright days. I like that only a center dot is illuminated, it keeps the reticle clutter free and easy to use.

The elevation and windage were a bit mushy but not an issue since I will basically be setting my zero and capping them. My only complaint would be the that the illumination dial did not provide as much tactile feedback I as I would have preferred. I could not always tell if it was turned on or off just by feel, I had to look at the reticle to verify if it was on or off. The illumination knob seemed firm enough to not be turned on accidentally when the carbine is cased.

Overall, I can live with illumination dial issue because of everything else this scope brings to the table.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Recce01_Medium_.jpg

cpoth
01-01-19, 20:17
Resurrecting this thread with a goal in mind and specific question/opinion to ask.

I have a P4xi mounted to 11.5" SBR with a Noveske barrel with SureFire suppressor. Have been using CBC 62gr FMJ.

Data from 200 and 300 yards of actually shooting the rifle suggests that this round/rifle combo if zeroed at 100 drops 2 inches at 200 and approximately 13 at 300.

From what I am able to discern about the BDC in this scope the BDC is optimal for a round that, when zeroed at 200 yds, drops 8.25" at 300 yds(1.047 x 2.625(BDC angular measurement) x 3 (for 300 yds)).

My rifle/optic combo when using the BDC on 4 power with a 200 yd zero will make impact about 5" low for the 300 yd stadia line.

My question is, should I abandon the BDC entirely and utilize a 100 yd zero. If I do this the first stadia line at 200 yds will be within 3 inches (about 3 inches high). The second stadia line will be used at 300 yds and again my impact will be about 5" high. The stadia lines will not be useful for ranging if I make this change.

Should I keep the 200 yd zero or go with a 100 yd zero. What problems may I run into that I have not yet forseen.

Thanks for any help.

ggammell
01-01-19, 20:41
Pick a zero, run the numbers through strelok or similar and know what your BDC gives you. You’ve got a BDC. It had advantages and limitations. Make the best of it. It not the kind of scope you’re gonna be using holds or dialing dope.

ETA: if you don’t have iStrelok, give me your numbers, I’ll punch it in and give you screen shots of the reticle.

jsbhike
01-01-19, 22:12
Have you loaded a copy of Strelok? Plus version has the P4XI reticle in it.

About the farthest I get to shoot is 250 yards so I tend to like 200 yard zero since it isn't off by a lot high or low out to my typical max.

cpoth
01-02-19, 05:56
I just downloaded that app. Really cool. Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to run a few rounds through the chronograph and get a little bit more of an accurate idea of the muzzle velocity I’m getting. Certainly seems to indicate I should use the 200 yd zero. Even if I mess with the velocity and drop it to around 2750 or so it still is recommending the second stadia line to be 295 (323 at velocity of 3100).

cpoth
02-24-19, 16:22
Anyone have experience running one of these on a SCAR 17S? I know this rifle can be hard on optics, I am wondering if anyone has reported it failing or seen any damage to the optic.

Again, thanks for any info.

h00n
02-26-19, 08:33
What's the durability like on this thing? I tend to be hard on optics during multi-gun matches and VCOG and Razor money is out of the question.

0uTkAsT
02-26-19, 09:03
What's the durability like on this thing? I tend to be hard on optics during multi-gun matches and VCOG and Razor money is out of the question.

Since durability is your primary concern I would consider the PST Gen II first, check out my comparison to the P4Xi in another thread. It's like a "Razor Lite." I wouldn't say the P4Xi is frail by any means, but mine isn't holding up as well as my PST is, and I'm not chucking it into wet barrels or bashing it into barricades and such on a weekly basis either.

WickedWillis
02-26-19, 12:30

I have dropped mine twice. Once from waist high right on top of the optic, and once it slid off the barricade it was resting on and landed on the optic as well. Both times I confirmed the zero was held, and had no loss that I could tell without getting a micrometer out.

WickedWillis
02-26-19, 12:30
Since durability is your primary concern I would consider the PST Gen II first, check out my comparison to the P4Xi in another thread. It's like a "Razor Lite." I wouldn't say the P4Xi is frail by any means, but mine isn't holding up as well as my PST is, and I'm not chucking it into wet barrels or bashing it into barricades and such on a weekly basis either.

I love my P4Xi, but I feel the Vortex's overall are made sturdier if that makes sense. Outkast's post seems right on.

thegreyman
03-28-19, 07:10
A belated thanks Mrgunsandgear; your excellent video informed me about Steiner P4Xi and a great deal at DSG; I bought a P4Xi and really like it. Used StrelokPro for settings.
Some buddies have higher power Steiners and think they are also great value.

1911vm
04-01-19, 15:09
Absolutely great scope . But regrettably I about to send my Steiner back to the manufacturer the brightness does not change between settings . they told me to try a new battery but that did not help.

0uTkAsT
04-03-19, 16:19
Absolutely great scope . But regrettably I about to send my Steiner back to the manufacturer the brightness does not change between settings . they told me to try a new battery but that did not help.

Please let us know how their CS treats you. Mine had a nitrogen leak at the ocular bell which hasn't affected performance (yet) but my limited contact with their CS did not give me the warm and fuzzies. If they take good care of you I may send mine in too, but if it becomes a hassle I'll just keep rolling the dice with mine.

TomMcC
04-03-19, 17:40
My P4 broke an internal lense. I had to spend some coin to get it there, which didnt sit well with me, but they did repair it and get it back to me in 3 weeks, so I was happy about that.

Falshooter
04-04-19, 03:47
Ditto the Steiner p4xi-as close to a true 1x as you will get, the red dot is a perfect dot-in case you have eye issues also and made in the U.S. with German glass.

http://www.eurooptic.com/

A bit of a hike from here but worth every mile if you want handle/look through an awful lot of scopes-prices very competitive.