PDA

View Full Version : FLIR Q14 - Has the working mans thermal arrived?

Eurodriver
01-27-17, 06:50
http://www.flir.com/ots/q14/

My friend is a huge IG dude and saw this the first day of SHOT. SHOT products usually suck because they're A) usually vaporware for years [see TNVC TAPS] and B) usually retarded [see double 6" barrel 9mm derringer]

But this seems like it has real potential. Decent resolution considering the size for under $2k for use as a monocular or weapon mounted optic with a reticle.

Anyone handled one? Opinions? I am strictly a green seeing guy - not a thermal dude except for some cheap RS32s we use to spot game. But I feel this may be a game changer if the quality is worth it. (Key takeaway)

Outlander Systems
01-27-17, 06:54
Brosef, if this thing is sub $2k I'll be on it like Steyr on a numbchuck.

bates
01-27-17, 08:01
i saw it at shot.

i would say the image quality is decent, but for $2k its a bargain.

i thought best thermal for the money is the Pulsar Apex XQ 38 or 50mm as far as image quality.

the little flir was amazing though for what you get in such a small package

Mrgunsngear
01-27-17, 09:45
FWIW the one linked in the OP isn't the MSRP $1899 one; that's the B model. I played with it a good pit at the FLIR industry event and was pretty impressed. It'll dominate the market this year for sure.

Eurodriver
01-27-17, 10:40
FWIW the one linked in the OP isn't the MSRP $1899 one; that's the B model. I played with it a good pit at the FLIR industry event and was pretty impressed. It'll dominate the market this year for sure.

What's the B model? Why were you impressed? What would it compare to?

Why do you think it will dominate the market? Pricing alone? $1900 FLIR as of 6 months ago was not something anyone would really go to for reliability. Has that changed?

Inquiring minds and all that :)

Mrgunsngear
01-27-17, 19:53
What's the B model? Why were you impressed? What would it compare to?

Why do you think it will dominate the market? Pricing alone? $1900 FLIR as of 6 months ago was not something anyone would really go to for reliability. Has that changed?

Inquiring minds and all that :)

I don't have one in for actual testing yet. Youtube channel owners will inquire... :)

SeriousStudent
01-27-17, 19:54
Jebus, it's pretty small, too.

Might be very interesting on a hog gun.

Nightvisionary
01-28-17, 06:28
I just sold my Flir PS24 to save up for a Pulsar H19A or LDS19S. I need better range and resolution. With the PS24 to many natural objects give off heat signatures as bright as a human and an Arizona barrel cactus looks exactly like a kneeling man until you get right up on it. The Flir Q14B would be ideal and it's in the same price range as the Pulsar units I am considering. However I have watched several shot show videos and in this video from The Firearms Blog the Flir rep states the functionality of the unit as "Definitely 100 yards and in" and "Limited use on a rifle". If true the limited effective range makes it a definite no go for my needs and puts it on par with the $600 Flir Scout TK which uses the Lepton core. By comparison the Apex Pulsar units offer a 500 yard detection range. On the other TFB video on the Flir Q14B a different rep mentions something about 500 yards but it was hard to hear with all the background noise.

FFWD to 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=205&v=MYVqwnx0uJQ

Eurodriver
01-29-17, 07:52
I just sold my Flir PS24 to save up for a Pulsar H19A or LDS19S. I need better range and resolution. With the PS24 to many natural objects give off heat signatures as bright as a human and an Arizona barrel cactus looks exactly like a kneeling man until you get right up on it. The Flir Q14B would be ideal and it's in the same price range as the Pulsar units I am considering. However I have watched several shot show videos and in this video from The Firearms Blog the Flir rep states the functionality of the unit as "Definitely 100 yards and in" and "Limited use on a rifle". If true the limited effective range makes it a definite no go for my needs and puts it on par with the $600 Flir Scout TK which uses the Lepton core. By comparison the Apex Pulsar units offer a 500 yard detection range. On the other TFB video on the Flir Q14B a different rep mentions something about 500 yards]

That is the exact same problem I have with the RS32. Orange trees give off a ton of heat apparently and when you're searching for hogs in an orange grove it's essentially worthless.

100 yard detection range wouldn't even get from our truck to the first row of trees. I kind of had a feeling at this price it wouldn't be suitable for long range ID. :(

ace4059
02-03-17, 00:04
That is the exact same problem I have with the RS32. Orange trees give off a ton of heat apparently and when you're searching for hogs in an orange grove it's essentially worthless.

100 yard detection range wouldn't even get from our truck to the first row of trees. I kind of had a feeling at this price it wouldn't be suitable for long range ID. :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one disappointed with the FLIR RS. I have the RS64 and it is blurry above 2x magnification. I can't identify animals past 100 yards. It will locate them a good distance out but you can't tell if it's a cow, hog, deer, dog or what until 100 yards. I think it works best as a hand held.

I'll give it a few more years before getting another thermal. NV is where I think it's at with technology and price right now.