PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a G17 barrel

kwelz
01-27-17, 17:17
A couple years back I picked up a G17 here on the EE where the owner had polished the barrel. This wasn't a huge deal because I was using it as a suppressor host. However I am moving a few things around and want to go back to the stock barrel.

I have tried permablue however I was only able to get a shiny finish. It look ok but not what I am looking for in a G17.

So I am looking for something I can do here at home that will give me a more flat finish on the barrel.

Any way to do that with Permablue paste or do I need to try something else?

Current state of the barrel

CAVDOC
01-28-17, 16:13
Anything you
Put on it is going to wear off in short order anyway, I would just run it as is

Kain
01-28-17, 16:23
Anything you
Put on it is going to wear off in short order anyway, I would just run it as is

I am kind of here. Alumablack might, operative phrase, might give you more of a black finish. But, using it on a large area isn't something I normally consider. If you want to try something go for it.

Otherwise, I'd consider selling it and buying a stock barrel if the OEM look is what you are looking for.

bighawk
01-28-17, 16:27
I'm not sure of anything you could do yourself but if you really want it back to black you could pay to have someone put a black nitride or DLC coating on it.

You may be able to buy a factory glock barrel cheaper unless you're interested in keeping the original barrel with the gun.

MegademiC
01-28-17, 17:29
Cerakote?

Sand blast or sand it to dull it down?

dcale101
01-29-17, 08:40
http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html