PDA

View Full Version : Winchester white box JHP for Personal Protection ??

Pappabear
01-27-17, 17:32
So I bought 500 rounds of Winchester White Box JHP 115 grain. It staes muzzle velocity of 1225 , energy 383.

I normally buy the top end Federal or Hornady for Home defense work and spare mags etc. Who would consider this home defense worthy? My current supply has been depleted ( did I mention I bought my son a G19! ) aka be careful what you ask for kinda thang.

Anyway, if you have an opinion or better still personal experience let me know.

ie. My speculation is it is much better than running ball ammo, but not as good as $20/box for 20 each shiot. Hit me with your opinion and feel free to dig into the most important characteristic of HD ammo for you.

Thanks for your input

PB

Kain
01-27-17, 18:13
SG Ammo has Golddot for like 24 a box of 50 last i looked. would consider that before the winchester or something like fed hi-shok

twm134
01-27-17, 18:36
http://sgammo.com/product/federal/50-round-box-9mm-luger-federal-hst-147-grain-hollow-point-le-ammo-p9hst2

http://sgammo.com/product/federal/50-round-box-9mm-federal-hst-124-grain-jhp-hollow-point-le-ammo-p9hst1

http://sgammo.com/product/speer/50-round-box-9mm-p-speer-gold-dot-124-grain-le-hollow-point-ammo-53617

With ammunition at this quality level for these prices I can't fathom a reason to be using something less. That's just my thinking though. I could be wrong.

williejc
01-27-17, 18:38
This ammo probably is the same one labeled "personal defense". Even if it no longer uses this label, it's likely the same thing. I've shot much of it in .38 spl, 9mm, and .45 acp and consider it good ammo. Functioning has always been perfect and accuracy excellent. Despite the box being white, I do not consider it generic ammo.
The generic variety has a round nose jacketed bullet with open base showing bare lead. This ammo has a lead core encapsulated in a jacket and then hollow pointed. My unsubstantiated opinion is that this type bullet is one step up from the bare based variety, has a longer bearing surface, and less weight variation from one to another within the same batch. 30 years ago this bullet would have been considered premium. This style came before the Silver-Tip, Black Talon, and the current law enforcement ammo loaded with bonded bullets. In the strictest sense of the word, the ammo is obsolete. But, its obsolete in the same context that Federal Hi-Shok ammo is. I consider both to be high quality but am aware that this ammo may not expand as reliably as the latest offerings that we read about.

Pappabear
01-27-17, 19:07
Thanks for the input guys. This is about what I was thinking. Next go around, Im buying the federal. I was lazy with my shopping and just bought some to get par levels up. I definitely would not want to get shot by it, but the federal has always treated me well. I also like +/plus 9mm ammo.

I use SG ammo often, I just bought some more 308 MEN from them for slinging.

Do you guys have a bullet weight preference in 9mm?

PB

nml
01-27-17, 19:14
147 or 124 +P always seems to test well for the brands i use.

Kain
01-27-17, 19:17

I agree here. I usually run 147gr myself, but I would not feel bad about running a 124gr+P.

tarkeg
01-27-17, 23:32
The Federal 147 HST is a good defensive round. Passes the latest FBI protocols I believe. I carry that as my defensive round, and shoot the Federal AE9FP as my training/competition round. Federal intentionally makes them behave similarly.

DirectTo
01-27-17, 23:40
Those weights are by far the most common in 9mm...and I'd say by far Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST are the most common as LEO and self defense rounds across all calibers.

I will carry either, and try and shoot Speer Lawman as my range ammo when it counts (designed to duplicate the performance of the equivalent Gold Dot round). For blasting stuff I'll grab whatever is cheapest.

HansTheHobbit
01-28-17, 00:44
As long as it cycles well in the gun, I don't see a problem with it.

Talon167
01-28-17, 09:09
Better than nothing, but there are definitely better options. I prefer 124g for HD 9mm.

ST911
01-28-17, 09:17
ie. My speculation is it is much better than running ball ammo, but not as good as $20/box for 20 each shiot.

That about covers it. It's an older, lower tech bullet with a far more limited performance. It isn't bad, but there's so much better and for not much more money.