PDA

View Full Version : Springer front sight help

theJanitor
09-19-08, 13:10
Guys, i need some help. i got an old operator, and i wanted to go to a different front sight than the novak tritiums that came with it.

problem is the roll pin that holds the front sight on. when i install the new sight into the front dovetail, it's very loose. it doesn't matter whose front sight either. dawson, egw, they're all the same loose. what fiber Optic front sight will fit tightly into the springfield dovetail without using the roll pin?

for reference, here's a pic of the gun

thanks,

Kent

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/operator021aa.jpg

RD62
09-19-08, 16:12
Have you tried contacting Springfield? They have very good CS! Also try 1911forum. I don't frequent it very much anymore, but there are some very knowledgeable people there!

-RD62

P.S. Nice Operator by the way!

theJanitor
09-19-08, 16:17
thanks for the suggestion, and no, i haven't yet contacted anyone about it. but now i'm wondering if SA used this method of installing the sight because it's easier to manufacture.

i mean, the sight is easily pushed into the slide's loose dovetail and secured/centered by a pin. pounding or pressing in a tritium sight in a tight dovetail would obviously be much harder to do well.

lindertw
09-19-08, 16:42
hmmm... sounds like your dovetail might be out of spec.

I had two springfields, and I don't recall the factory sight being overly loose - but I do remember it took a bit of work to fit Dawson fiber optic front sights on them. Talk to Springfield (or an outside gunsmith) and have them fit an oversize front sight blank.

Sending the slide is cheap, and if the current front sight hits poa/poi for you then they should be able to set you up pretty quickly.