PDA

View Full Version : Upper Receiver void/crack?

Hadoken
01-28-17, 12:54
Hey All,
I just built an upper using a "blemished" stripped upper receiver from a reputable company. I looked over the upper when I received it, but until I wiped it down with an oily rag after finishing the upper I thought it was just a smear of the dry film lube.
I'm not sure if this is a crack or a void in the forging or what. Any input on if it's a dependable upper or should I scrap it and start over?

For perspective the attached picture is the interior rear of the upper receiver, where the charging handle would contact.
Here is a link to the full resolution picture: http://imgur.com/a/3PTcK
Should I contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement? I don't really want to disassemble this upper (red loctite on the low pro gas block, rocksett on the suppressor mount - so I know it'll be a bear to disassemble), but it is also a home defense build so I don't want to second guess it.

556BlackRifle
01-28-17, 13:03
Not good. Contact the manufacturer and post an update.

mlberry
01-28-17, 13:06
I think you should replace it. It's a matter of safety. I would also alert the manufacturer.

sva01
01-28-17, 13:18
I just built an upper using a "blemished" stripped upper receiver from a reputable company. but it is also a home defense build so I don't want to second guess it.

I'm seriously not trying to be an asshole, but these are the only parts of your post that I comprehended and it makes me shake my head...

You bought a known blem upper. Why should the manufacturer replace it?

Hadoken
01-28-17, 13:23
I'm seriously not trying to be an asshole, but these are the only parts of your post that I comprehended and it makes me shake my head...

I guess I should have clarified. Their description of "blemished" is scratched, purely cosmetic blemishes. Cosmetic blemishes do not bother me so why pay extra for something I am going to scratch myself or krylon?
The point of this thread is to determine if this is actually cosmetic, or a safety hazard as the previous two posters are inclined to suggest.

556BlackRifle
01-28-17, 14:36

Because blems are cosmetic not structural defects.

jackblack73
01-28-17, 14:56
That doesn't look like a blem to me; looks like a defect. I'd get it replaced.

ODgreenpizza
01-28-17, 14:58
It might just be a defect in the annodizing. Since it's opposite the business end I'd be tempted to use it as-is.

Mechan1c
01-28-17, 15:06
Looks cracked to me. I would not run it.

This will test the vendor's customer service for sure; Blem stripped upper already assembled and returned with a fracture. They may be able to tell if the crack is related to their manufacturing process and/or if that it would even be sent out as a blem looking like that. It would certainly be a better case if you'd looked it over closer. What's the stated return policy for a blem from this company?

I run a bus shop and we see broken, bent, cracked and other damaged parts more than I like. I recently went through 3 reman turbochargers to get 1 that was ok to install. One looked like it was dropped off a loading ramp. Box was thrashed, studs were bent. We looked closer at the next one and it had a broken connector and was mechanically binding. We sent them back uninstalled and put the 3rd one on the bus. Those first 2 had unconditional defective return warranties. The 3rd one now installed has just a 1 year parts warranty. I'm thinking the blem receiver might get some good will uninstalled with that crack. If the blem warranty in no returns you may have to eat this one.

Mechan1c
01-28-17, 15:17
I missed the big hosted photo at first and the "crack" looks more like a series of defects as opposed to a single break. That's my bad for not looking closer.

Hadoken
01-28-17, 15:27
Thanks for the input, I'll email them the picture and see what they say.

I definitely wish I had looked it over better before starting. I used a clamshell style upper block with a chamber insert so I'm not sure how I could have caused the damage but I can understand a manufacturer seeing a lot of things come back claiming to be manufacturer defects.
It seems like an odd place for damage unless it was just something in the forging that surfaced when it was machined.

MegademiC
01-28-17, 16:36
Couple things, 1 you shouldn't have to take off gas block and mount to disassemble, or at least not the mount unless you used a urx 4 or something.

2, definately looks like a defect, but can you feel it? Run a needle or firing pin over it. If it's a physical defect, absolutely return imo.

JC5188
01-28-17, 16:38
Hey All,
I just built an upper using a "blemished" stripped upper receiver from a reputable company. I looked over the upper when I received it, but until I wiped it down with an oily rag after finishing the upper I thought it was just a smear of the dry film lube.
I'm not sure if this is a crack or a void in the forging or what. Any input on if it's a dependable upper or should I scrap it and start over?

For perspective the attached picture is the interior rear of the upper receiver, where the charging handle would contact.
Here is a link to the full resolution picture: http://imgur.com/a/3PTcK
Should I contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement? I don't really want to disassemble this upper (red loctite on the low pro gas block, rocksett on the suppressor mount - so I know it'll be a bear to disassemble), but it is also a home defense build so I don't want to second guess it.

That looks like a forging issue. I'd be concerned that there were other voids elsewhere in it. Also, that goes all the way to the edge of the part...it would eventually fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hadoken
01-28-17, 19:06
Couple things, 1 you shouldn't have to take off gas block and mount to disassemble, or at least not the mount unless you used a urx 4 or something.

2, definately looks like a defect, but can you feel it? Run a needle or firing pin over it. If it's a physical defect, absolutely return imo.

Yeah, it's definitely noticeable with a finger nail or tool running over it. I'll follow up in the thread once I hear back from the vendor.

BangBang77
01-28-17, 19:13
The photo is not real clear but the crack appears to have been present pre-anodizing to me. I don't see exposed aluminum in the void.

sinister
01-28-17, 22:48
That's not a blem, it's a defect.

Iraqgunz
01-29-17, 00:33
I think we can agree it's a defect and not a "blem". Contact the vendor for resolution and then update us with the results.