PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Munitions?

graffex
01-29-17, 13:35
Anyone have any experience with Freedom Munitions ammo?

Looking to stock up deep in 9mm and .223/5.56 FMJ ammo for practice/training. Looking for reliable and cheap.

Damn_yankee
01-29-17, 13:42
Great stuff. I use it almost exclusively for target rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ww2farmer
01-29-17, 13:44
Look elsewhere.
Quite a large % of kabooms posted around the interwebz have been from Freedom Munitions.
Their re-man 55 grain .223 is .28/round........... the new green box AE223 is .34/rd or less at Walmart after sales tax, or Wolf Gold is .31/rd or less from many on-line vendors, often with free shipping in bulk. I'd gladly pay a few cents more per round to have new mfg. plinking/training/blasting ammo then take a chance on Freedom Munitions given their reputation.

Captiva
01-29-17, 13:55
Would not reliably feed/cyce in my FS2000. Would not feed reliably/cycle in my Colt 6720. Isolated for magazine issues. All the magazines fed every other ammo in both guns. Should work in a bolt gun.

Damn_yankee
01-29-17, 13:57
I only use the new. Never reman ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds with out issues. Not saying that there isn't any, just never for me.

wigbones
01-29-17, 14:18
I've used their new 9mm ammo and never had an issue. I've probably fired a couple hundred rounds.

Wake27
01-29-17, 18:31
There's already a thread on here I thought. I've used a few thousand in .223, 9, and .45 both new and reman. I only recommend the new. I had several of the .223 tumble at 100m and have seen one or two real sketch looking 9mm that looked like they fused two pieces of brass together.

sevenhelmet
01-29-17, 19:02
+1 for new Freedom ammo. I would stay away from the reman, though. I had a bad experience and it took about 3 months of back and forth to get a partial refund. Never again.

BuzzinSATX
01-29-17, 19:27
Deleted

Wake27
01-29-17, 19:45
I've used a lot of FM ammo without any issues, both new and reman. That said, I generally buy most ammo today from www.sgammo.com Prices are as good or better, and they ship much faster than FM

Agreed.

M Sadler
01-29-17, 20:07
The real issue with Freedom Munitions is not re-manufactured or new, it's the progressive loaders they use. The Ammo Load Mark L machines are great for straight wall pistol cartridges but suck for bottleneck rifle cartridges. The machines move to fast and they can't throw a full charge at one station so three are used. This fact increases the chance for an under/over charge. I've never used any of their ammunition but would shoot their pistol cartridges all day everyday. I just wouldn't shoot their rifle ammunition. Just look back on the ammo manufacturer kaboom ash heap. It's littered with companies who use the same style of machines. BVAC and HPR are a couple of examples...

sevenhelmet
01-29-17, 20:11
The real issue with Freedom Munitions is not re-manufactured or new, it's the progressive loaders they use. The Ammo Load Mark L machines are great for straight wall pistol cartridges but suck for bottleneck rifle cartridges. The machines move to fast and they can't throw a full charge at one station so three are used. This fact increases the chance for an under/over charge. I've never used any of their ammunition but would shoot their pistol cartridges all day everyday. I just wouldn't shoot their rifle ammunition. Just look back on the ammo manufacturer kaboom ash heap. It's littered with companies who use the same style of machines. BVAC and HPR are a couple of examples...

Interesting. I have shot about 200 rounds of their 5.56 77gr HPBT and found it to be very consistent. Was I just lucky?

(Honest question, not trying to snark.)

M Sadler
01-29-17, 20:24
Interesting. I have shot about 200 rounds of their 5.56 77gr HPBT and found it to be very consistent. Was I just lucky?

(Honest question, not trying to snark.)

200 rounds is an awfully small sample size. I would define luck as having ceased using Brand X rifle ammunition and not had a KB.

It's likely that every manufacturer, including the big names, have caused a KB or three. That being said, I think you'll find that each of the boutique manufacturers who have a higher than usual amount of KB's use inline machines. Does correlation equal causation? I don't know. It's just not worth the risk for me to try and find out.

ETA: I just realized you said you said your shooting 77's. I doubt they're using the inline machines for them.

sevenhelmet
01-29-17, 20:35
200 rounds is an awfully small sample size. I would define luck as having ceased using Brand X rifle ammunition and not had a KB.

It's likely that every manufacturer, including the big names, have caused a KB or three. That being said, I think you'll find that each of the boutique manufacturers who have a higher than usual amount of KB's use inline machines. Does correlation equal causation? I don't know. It's just not worth the risk for me to try and find out.

ETA: I just realized you said you said your shooting 77's. I doubt they're using the inline machines for them.

Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately, most mfrs don't advertise their methods.

M Sadler
01-29-17, 20:55
Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately, most mfrs don't advertise their methods.

Unless they're selling a ton of 77, I wouldn't guess they're using a production machine. Those machines ain't cheap. The in-lines are used for bulk pack type ammo. 55 to 62 and maybe 69's. I think it would be impossible for them to hold quality for their higher end ammunition.

Kdubya
01-30-17, 02:29
I can't personally speak to FM, but have seen one to many KB stories where the shooter was running their ammo. Yes, other factors could be at play in each instance. Additionally, for every one FM kaboom story there are countless reports of users running a ton of FM ammo and having no issues. Still, for me it's about mitigating risk, even if the risk is awfully small to begin with. At the prices they charge there are just too many other options. Options that are far less frequently mentioned in reports of catastrophic failures.

If you look around a bit, stuff like Wolf Gold, Gecco, PMC Bronze and X-Tac, IMI, and more can be found for close to 30¢ per round. Locally, you also might want to check Walmart for Perfecta .223. Brass cased, 55gr, and comes in just under 30¢ per round. For pistols, there are a lot of good options as well for comparable prices. If you're not married to brass, check Walmart again for Federal Aluminum. I've run A LOT of Federal Aluminum in .45 ACP and it's been extremely reliable. IIRC, the 9mm loading is around 17-18¢ per round.

Ultimately, you'd probably be fine with FM. For the right deal I might try it. But in the current market, I don't see a need to experiment with them for plinking/range ammo.

BuzzinSATX
01-30-17, 07:33
MAC's take on FM. https://youtu.be/FJthkTLWa-4

themonk
01-30-17, 08:33
Their HUSH ammo is some of the quietest production subsonic ammo you can buy and I have never had an issue with it.

drift_g35
01-30-17, 08:57
I had a primer fall out and completely bring down my AR. Not 30 seconds later my buddies bolt gun had the same issue. Different batches too.

HCrum87hc
01-30-17, 12:08
My buddy and I have used probably close to 2000 rounds of the new 9mm rounds with probably 3-4 fail to fires. No kabooms or other issues. With the price of ammo so low right now, I haven't bought any FM lately.

AssGasOrBrass
02-02-17, 18:48
I have used there .223 55gr reloads, 9mm reloads and have a box of 69gr 5.56 I have not shot yet. The .223 and 9mm function fine. Not accurate but shoot and cycle the gun. One curious issue I had was with some Tannerite not going boom when shot with some .223. IDK if the load was underpowered and did not reach the needed velocity or if the Tannerite was prepped incorrectly.

Pappabear
02-09-17, 21:36
This ammo sucks.

Iraqgunz
02-10-17, 01:37
I have seen several kabooms with their 5.56 ammo. I wouldn't use it unless the enemy was at the gates.

williejc
02-10-17, 07:56
I've shot their 9mm ammo without trouble but did see a 1000 case of .223 that had very many deformed--bent--rounds. I no longer buy it.

bighawk
02-10-17, 11:18
I've shot prob 5k rounds of their 62 gr 223 and 6k of the 115 gr 9mm.. The 223 was consistent but the last 2k of 9mm I bought in two seerate shipments had about 20 dud rounds. They also seemed very inconsistent in their loadings as I had about 45 rounds that seemed very underpowered.

I switched to ordering from sgammo they typically have quality factory NEW ammo for similar or better prices than freedoms REMAN ammo and ship much faster.

Josefius
02-12-17, 09:14
I'll stick with Federal, Aguilla and Fiochi

Sent from my Nexus 5X

BuzzinSATX
03-31-17, 14:52
Agreed.

I had an epiphany last week at the range, and while I've been a long time user and supporter of Freedom Munitions, I'm done buying from them.

I've always attributed weak ejections in 9MM and .45 Glock's to the fact that I have all Gen 4 guns. I always said at some point I'd replace extractors. But over the last year or so, it seems like it's been happening more.

But during the last ammo shortage, I bought lots of different brands like Remington UMC, Magtec, CCI, etc. when available, and have been shooting other brands more and Freedom less. And I finally realized the weak ejections happen almost always with FM, and almost never with the other ammo.

I wrote the company and let them know. They graciously offered to replace ammo I have. But honestly, it's not worth it to me to go through the hassle of replacing the few cases I have left for more of the same. And with prices as they are these days, FM isn't the great deal they once were back 5-6 years ago.

So bottom line for me, my future ammo buys are not going to FM. The last election has certainly made that decision easier, and while the folks at the company have always provided good service, I feel their product quality has gone downhill for my FMJ 9MM and .45.

FTR, never had an issue with their .223 or .40.

YMMV.

Josefius
03-31-17, 15:15
FTR, never had an issue with their .223 or .40.

YMMV.

I bought a couple boxes of Freedom Munition .45 ACP and it worked so well I bought 300 rounds of 9mm and it's been great. So I definitely take back what I said earlier.