PDA

View Full Version : Burris Fast Fire III as a main sight?

Locutus
01-30-17, 16:21
I searched and really only found discussion of this sight as an angle-mounted backup. I have one of them on my 10/22 with the 8-MOA dot for Steel Challenge and I'm quite happy with it, but I'm curious if using this mount (https://www.amazon.com/Burris-410348-AR-F3-Fastfire-Flattop/dp/B004QQRARU/ref=pd_sim_200_5) will provide proper 1/3 co-witness.

Also, while my AR has negligible recoil compared to my Enfield, it is still considerably more than my 10/22 - has anyone had any issues in that area with the FF3?

Thank you in advance - I retired from the Corps thinking that I knew the M-16, but I have learned a ton from lurking here!

highxj
01-31-17, 12:50
I have run them on AR's in the past for recreational shooting and had no trouble, but they do seem a bit delicate. In regards to that mount, I have a couple of them and they place your sight at absolute co-witness height. Out of respect for your service, PM me your address and I'll send you that mount to try out. If you like it.....keep it. If not, send her back.

Locutus
01-31-17, 16:36
I have run them on AR's in the past for recreational shooting and had no trouble, but they do seem a bit delicate. In regards to that mount, I have a couple of them and they place your sight at absolute co-witness height. Out of respect for your service, PM me your address and I'll send you that mount to try out. If you like it.....keep it. If not, send her back.

Holy shit - thank you! That is an incredibly kind offer! I am responding here because your mailbox is full.

By "they place your sight at absolute co-witness height" do you mean that the red dot would be superimposing the tip of the front sight post when both are zeroed? If so, then please save your time and postage because I have an "F" height front sight base rather than a flip-up and with my partially declining eyesight, I think it would prove confusing. OTOH, if I've misunderstood the term, please correct me. In any case, you are answering the issue I was most concerned about.

This is the pay-it-forward kind of stuff that Heinlein used to talk about and I am most grateful.

Thanks,
Charlie

highxj
01-31-17, 17:41
Yes...your front sight post would be right in the middle of the field of view sir. It is a neat setup though. If you change your mind, let me know. I'll go do some maintenance on my mailbox :D

JNG3
01-31-17, 18:33
Drop the FF3 into an ar15 specific mount Burris makes for it. It's called an AR-F3 mount. I own a FF3 mounted to a 357 mag revolver. No issues. Just installed a FF3 with the AR-F3 mount to an AR I just built. No high round count reliability to report on yet but I did like it with the shooting I did over the weekend. If it's still going strong 1000 shots from now I will be able to recommend it.

Edit- I checked out the link in your op. Same sight on my newest AR. Absolute cowitness.

bamashooter
02-01-17, 10:38

Good man. http://i.imgur.com/PtOn04Q.png

Jellybean
02-01-17, 11:22
I have run them on AR's in the past for recreational shooting and had no trouble, but they do seem a bit delicate....

If you go on the Burris website and read the reviews for the FF-3, there's a great picture of a bent housing/cracked lens from the reviewer dropping the rifle . So, yeah, probably a bit delicate.

JNG3
02-02-17, 12:28
Yup, I've seen one in person that was on a 45 degree rail and the rifle was dropped and bent the housing and cracked the lens. Funny thing, IT STILL WORKED! That's why mine on my newest ar15 is in the AR-F3 mount. The mount will take the abuse instead of the optic. But to each his own. The FastFires seem like a decent mid priced optic.

user
02-02-17, 12:56

Thank you for your kind spirt to others. Way to be compadre.

nick84
02-07-17, 20:52

REP +

I'm also interested in picking up a low profile RDS, so I'm following with some interest. OP, let us know what you think.

Locutus
02-08-17, 04:35
REP +

I'm also interested in picking up a low profile RDS, so I'm following with some interest. OP, let us know what you think.

That will be awhile. On this gun I have decided to mount a scope above the sighting plane. I'll probably do a red dot on my next build that doesn't have a FSB.