PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about 'Restricted for LE' markings?

condoor
09-19-08, 17:16
I'm a civi looking to buy an AR and one of my potentials is a Colt LE6920. I'm concerned however with the
"Restricted for Military/Government Law Enforcement Use Only"
markings that these guns come with. In particular in the event that another AWB comes down the pipe - I'm wondering how this rifle would be viewed, say 4-5 years into another AWB, and if I'd have a problem owning this rifle vs a rifle without these markings.

Any thoughts or advice on this?
thx

JBnTX
09-19-08, 17:25
Not to worry, those markings mean nothing.

They were put on there by Colt and they have no legal weight whatsoever.
During the last ban Colt did not want their AR-15s sold to civilians and put
that crap on there in an attempt to avoid any liability should the guns be
sold to civilians.

It's the same as if you put those exact markings on the bumper of your car.
Absolutely meaningless.

I just bought a new 6920 and I AM impressed. Excellent fit and finish throughout.
In fact it's the first AR-15 that I didn't have to adjust the windage all the way over
to one side.

Straight out of the box and without any sight adjustment at all, I fired 10 rounds(XM-193) at 100yds and hit the
target dead center. Try that with a Bushmaster?

The Colt 6920 is one perfect weapon.

deercop
09-19-08, 17:45
They were put on there by Colt and they have no legal weight whatsoever.
During the last ban Colt did not want their AR-15s sold to civilians and put
that crap on there in an attempt to avoid any liability should the guns be
sold to civilians.

The LE/Gov/Export only markings were stamped during the Crime Bill years to allow sales of weapons with "evil features" to legally qualified entities, such as LE, assorted govt agencies, and export sales.

They most certainly did have "legal weight" during those years. Individuals were prosecuted for having restricted weapons when they were not qualified. A deputy sheriff nearby was prosecuted and convicted for furnishing restricted marked mags to unqualified people.

As for "what if" questions, your guess is as good as mine. IF there was another ban enacted, I suspect similarly worded markings would be placed upon similarly "evil" weapons to allow sales to LE and Govt. Whether there is a change in the stamping, or perhaps a "ban date" placed on them, I have no idea, but I really doubt anyone in a position (with desire) to enact another ban would give a rat's behind about someone being allowed to keep their "marked" weapon.

condoor
09-19-08, 17:48
The LE/Gov/Export only markings were stamped during the Crime Bill years to allow sales of weapons with "evil features" to legally qualified entities, such as LE, assorted govt agencies, and export sales.

They most certainly did have "legal weight" during those years. Individuals were prosecuted for having restricted weapons when they were not qualified. A deputy sheriff nearby was prosecuted and convicted for furnishing restricted marked mags to unqualified people.

That's my concern. So do you think that is something to think about when purchasing a rifle now?

deercop
09-19-08, 17:56
That's my concern. So do you think that is something to think about when purchasing a rifle now?

Something to think about? Sure.

Would I lose too much sleep over it? I wouldn't, but I'm also LEO. If I wasn't, I might, personally. Most probably wouldn't, though.

markm
09-19-08, 18:14
Colt still marks their LE guns as such. It's nothing to worry about.

The markings were meaningless during the AWB too. For example, a person could buy a stripped LE marked lower and build it into a post ban config an not had a problem.

No part of the AWB addressed any marking on the receiver.

deercop
09-19-08, 18:23
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=80

President Clinton signed the 1994 federal Crime Bill into law on Sept. 13, 1994, including the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, which made it a federal crime for a private individual to possess or transfer (sell, give, etc.) a "semiautomatic assault weapon" (AW) manufactured after that date. [18 U.S.C. 922(v)]. AWs manufactured on or before that date, and legally within the U.S., are "grandfathered" (not banned). Government agencies and their agents (the military, police departments, etc.) are exempt from the law. The law requires that AWs manufactured after Sept. 13, 1994 be stamped with their date of manufacture. Regulations require that AWs made after that date be stamped "Restricted Law Enforcement/ Government Use Only." These provisions are scheduled to expire on Sept. 13, 2004.

JBnTX
09-19-08, 18:29
Thank You deercop,

I was not aware the markings originated with the law.
I thought it was something Colt dreamed up.

Thanks.

Cameron
09-19-08, 18:37
For the "restricted" tag only.... buy an LMT

kingc
09-19-08, 19:07
http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=573832&size=1

I think because of the old text used and since repealed, any new ban requiring such markings would/should be different so as to tell any difference.

Heavy Metal
09-19-08, 19:12
Put a square of 100MPH tape over marking.

Write name on tape.

Problem solved.

Master_of_Sparks
09-19-08, 19:48
I had a conversation about this very subject today with my usual gun pusher. They happened to get a large stack of various model Colts in today and called me. This is a large shop, but the owner always comes to talk when Im there.
I was molesting some 6920s, and trying to pick one, when I said I wished that Colt would step up their finish, and stop putting that restriction on their lowers. His response was, he hopes that they never quit. He told me that he is convinced the the majority of buyers choose ARs that have the restriction BS on them, no matter which maker. Its a money maker and deal closer.

Its a given that all my Colts wear that label, but I also have one LMT that has it as well. I bought it in spite of the fact, and found out later that LMT actually charges extra for the restricted lowers. They sell more restricted lowers at the higher price than they do the plain marked.

I've had several LEO's shoot my weapons, and some have even joked about having to confiscate them just because... Most officers you will encounter know it has no real meaning. If you ever run into one that thinks you have something that really is not allowed, and thinks he knows a charge that applies, just ask to talk to his supervisor. He will probably be better able to explain it to him. It will probably be a rare, or non-existent, occasion. The only real downside, is that one in a million, that knows you'll beat the rap, but just wants to make you take the ride. If thats the case, he doesn't need for you to have AR to do it.

deercop
09-19-08, 20:05
I've had several LEO's shoot my weapons, and some have even joked about having to confiscate them just because... Most officers you will encounter know it has no real meaning. If you ever run into one that thinks you have something that really is not allowed, and thinks he knows a charge that applies, just ask to talk to his supervisor. He will probably be better able to explain it to him. It will probably be a rare, or non-existent, occasion. The only real downside, is that one in a million, that knows you'll beat the rap, but just wants to make you take the ride. If thats the case, he doesn't need for you to have AR to do it.

The original question ISN'T about whether they are legal TODAY, there's no doubt the restricted markings mean squat at present (for most of the US anyway). The question IS about whether they'll have any affect IF another ban is passed in the FUTURE.

Heavy Metal
09-19-08, 20:33
The original question ISN'T about whether they are legal TODAY, there's no doubt the restricted markings mean squat at present (for most of the US anyway). The question IS about whether they'll have any affect IF another ban is passed in the FUTURE.

Again. There is nothing stopping you from covering the markings.

Master_of_Sparks
09-19-08, 20:50
Sorry deercop. I'll try to be more FUTURE specific.

"Restricted for Military Government/LE use only"
............"This time we really mean it!"............

If the serial number is registered with the BATF prior to, and grandfathered in, no matter what any one stamps on the gun, it would still be exempt. Just the same as using after market 30 rounders in pre-ban rifles, after the ban went into effect. You could use them all day long, as long as the serial number on the gun was prior to the ban. Since there is no CURRENT legal restrictions, that supports or requires the manufacturer to use a restriction stamp, it is tantamount to a skull sticker for looks only. It means nothing now, and never will, as long as current guns are grandfathered in. If not, the gun might be illegal, but not because of the stamp.

Veracity
09-19-08, 21:34
Hey,

Where do you live?

Here in NY, I was told by FFLs, LEOs, etc. that I couldn't have a lower that said "restricted."

I worked something else out with a different Colt lower for my 6920.

Maybe they were all wrong...but I didn't go "restricted" 'cause apparently, the people who can hurt you do care if you've got one!

It's a pain in the butt...but it is what it is.

YMMV.

Master_of_Sparks
09-19-08, 21:46
New York state has its own unique weapons ban. Its not Fed.

Its a long read.
http://www.ocshooters.com/Reports/awb/NY-AWB-S8234.html

TOrrock
09-19-08, 21:48
Shake the crystal ball and look deeply into it.

That'll give you just as much legitimate advice as what you're going to get on the internet......

I don't mean that as a slight, it's just that there's no way any of us can know what a future law might do or not do.

There are a shit ton of civillians out there with AR's that have gov't only markings, I have two of them myself.

I don't loose any sleep of it what so ever, I have enough other things to keep up at night about.

Buy it and enjoy it.

geezerbutler
09-19-08, 22:45
I'm a civi looking to buy an AR and one of my potentials is a Colt LE6920. I'm concerned however with the
"Restricted for Military/Government Law Enforcement Use Only"
markings that these guns come with. In particular in the event that another AWB comes down the pipe - I'm wondering how this rifle would be viewed, say 4-5 years into another AWB, and if I'd have a problem owning this rifle vs a rifle without these markings.

Any thoughts or advice on this?
thx

I think this a valid concern. The federal government can do anything they want (when run by self serving politically correct jerkoffs) and a "ban" on "military style assault weapons" including those already owned by an individual that contain the phrase "Restricted - Government/ Law Enforcement Only" is not out of the realm of possibilities.

I am not saying that it is likely, but something along these lines is likely to be attempted if we have a liberal president and congress.

I say get a few receivers without the RESTRICTED markings, as someone esle may have already pointed out.

GEEZER

royta
09-19-08, 23:14
You can always fill the marking with black crayons. You'd have the dopest 6920 on the block yo.

Caeser25
09-20-08, 07:59
my worry, not really as to the legality of it, but for all the anti-gun police and civilians alike that don't know the law from their asshole

.357sigger
09-20-08, 09:40
If they ever did put a ban back into effect there would have to be a way to determine the guns made after the time the ban went into effect. Comparing a lower that is marked vs one that is not marked there is absolutely no difference other than the writing. The thing that would constitute a difference are those that are full auto/burst/safe etc. compared to semi/safe. Any asshat or agencies that would be confiscating these guns would realize that. If there was a ban it would be confiscating all "assault weapons" or all post ban weapons would have a way to clearly distinguish them from the ones proceeding them with a manufacture date, etc.

The dems won't make the same mistake again...it will be significantly different than it was before. It will probably include mags, buttstocks, and probably barrels....thats assuming that we actually get to keep our "assault weapons." Or they could make up some kind of law that bans them from use...meaning that you can keep them but not use them inside certain city limits ( i.e. chicago, S.F., etc)

No one can really say what will happen...time will tell...buy what you want while you can and enjoy it!

royta
09-20-08, 10:09
I don't think we'll have to worry about it again. Remember the turnover Congress and the Senate had because of the screwing they gave us in 1994? Yeah, they want to take away our guns, but they also want to keep their power. I'm not sure they can have both.

Master_of_Sparks
09-20-08, 10:45
If they ever did put a ban back into effect there would have to be a way to determine the guns made after the time the ban went into effect.
There already is. Every gun manufactured, or imported, in the US is registered with BATF. The info includes the date of manufacture. It must be compliant at the time of registration.

.357sigger
09-20-08, 11:09
There already is. Every gun manufactured, or imported, in the US is registered with BATF. The info includes the date of manufacture. It must be compliant at the time of registration.

I know that :rolleyes:...I meant like physically on the side of the gun itself...

Master_of_Sparks
09-20-08, 11:12
You mean like a serial number, or something?

.357sigger
09-20-08, 11:35
Yeah...just like that...something that would be stamped or engraved under the sn that says Man. 3/1/2009 or something and I am sure that it would still have te restricted markings on it as well...:(

Master_of_Sparks
09-20-08, 11:38
Uncle.

HolyRoller
09-20-08, 14:45
whut ... en ... thee ... HAYUL are you people doing? Cowboy up and think about this for a minute.

AWB didn't ban guns with/without certain markings. As I recall, it banned the transfer of guns made after a certain date with two or more of the following: flashhider, grenade launcher, pistol grip, bayonet lug, and some others I can't remember. It banned the transfer of magazines made after a certain date capable of holding more than 10 cartridges. The deputy got prosecuted for the mag giveaway (sounds like an urban legend anyway) not because the mags were/not marked a certain way, but because they were made after the ban and he transferred them to people not allowed to have them, regardless of how they were marked.

As Master of Sparks was trying to explain, without much success on the receiving end, ATF knows when a gun was made because the manufacturer has to keep records of each gun by serial number, so all you need to tell the date of manufacture of a gun is look up its serial number in the manufacturer's ATF-required records.

The requirement to mark a banned item Law Enforcement-Government-Military-Export Only (LEGMEO) applied to the MANUFACTURER repeat MANUFACTURER, NOT repeat NOT the possessor. If it's not marked and you had no way of knowing when it was made, that's not your problem.

My 6920 says "Restricted Military/Government Law Enforcement/Export Use Only" even though I bought it perfectly legally over the counter for my own use. Now I do happen to be a part-time police officer, but rifles aren't allowed at my department. It's strictly a privately owned weapon. But when I was a deputy sheriff and threw my S&W M&P-15 in the trunk of the patrol car, it was a privately owned weapon without LEGMEO markings that was in fact used mostly for law enforcement. You think I'd get in trouble for enforcing the law by means of a rifle that DIDN'T have LEGMEO on it?

I can buy a serial-numbered manufaturer-logo lower and have it engraved LEGMEO, but that doesn't restrict its use to LEGMEO. I can illegally buy an NFA item and mark it "Civilian Legal" but that doesn't make it civilian legal. I can legally buy a gun and write "U.S. Government Property" on it with a laundry pen, but it's not U.S. Government property. If I stole an Army M4 and scratched off the "U.S. Government Property," it's still U.S. Government Property.

Guys, DO NOT WORRY if your gun is/not marked LEGMEO. That's not the il/legal part of it. I suppose Lord Messiah Obama could push a law through the Imperial Senate that says all guns marked LEGMEO are hereby illegal for non-LEGMEO personnel and shall be confiscated, but until he does that, we got a lot of bigger worries without being scared to death for no reason about whether words magically transform an item into something it's not.

Master_of_Sparks
09-21-08, 11:40
HolyRoller, thank you for the expanded explanation.