PDA

View Full Version : Castle nut stake failure

ncshooter18
01-31-17, 06:06
I got a new stock for a rifle yesterday and noticed I could rotate be the whole tube a little. The nut was double staked. Would this be caused by not torquing enough before staking? Also, how do you torque the nut enough while also keeping the tube perfectly straight?

wigbones
01-31-17, 06:48
You need a castle nut wrench. Keeping the tube straight should take care of itself because of the end plate holding it in place.

D_M
01-31-17, 07:15
1. Remove the castle nut.
2. Remove the receiver extension.
3. Remove the end plate.
4. Visually inspect each part.

The key on the end plate will actually gall up the threads on a low quality receiver extension, causing the key to slip out of the keyway and spin.

This is a photo from the net, but it depicts the exact issue I'm speaking of:

http://i.imgur.com/ad5Mgnz.jpg

MistWolf
01-31-17, 08:04
Keeping the tube straight should take care of itself because of the end plate holding it in place.

It doesn't. You have to play with it to keep the RE straight

ncshooter18
01-31-17, 08:40
You need a castle nut wrench. Keeping the tube straight should take care of itself because of the end plate holding it in place.

I have a castle nut wrench and used it. Even with the nub there is still a bit of play.

Costellow
01-31-17, 08:45
It doesn't. You have to play with it to keep the RE straight

This. I normally put the stock back on while I tighten it to make sure it's straight.

556BlackRifle
01-31-17, 09:28
I suspect that it may have been assembled incorrectly. The take down detent spring may have been folded over preventing the end plate from properly engaging the lower receiver.

The end plate engages the lower such that it (the end plate) cannot rotate. The key on the end plate engages the receiver extension such that it does not rotate. Sometimes there can be a little play before fully tightened but if everything is lined up, there shouldn't be much. I agree with DM. Take it apart and inspect the RE and lower. If everything looks good install a new end plate and castle nut making sure that everything is correctly aligned. Torque the nut to 40 ft lbs. Check it again. If everything is still correctly aligned, stake it.

Iraqgunz
01-31-17, 15:44
Pull it apart and reinstall it correctly.

ncshooter18
02-01-17, 17:16
Just pulled it apart and reassembled with a new end plate. Torqued and staked the nut. One question, is there any chance you could warp the lower where the tube screws in? Stock looks a little canted but I think it's just an optical illusion.

GH41
02-01-17, 17:33
Just pulled it apart and reassembled with a new end plate. Torqued and staked the nut. One question, is there any chance you could warp the lower where the tube screws in? Stock looks a little canted but I think it's just an optical illusion.

I guess you could. I put the tube between soft jaws. Not tight but just enough to allow the key on the tube to prevent it from turning. With anti seize 30FP with a BCM KMR barrel nut wrench is GTG. This ain't rocket science!

Tzintzuntzan
02-01-17, 23:05
It's best to make sure it isn't canted. If you can't cycle the rifle then it has too much cant. You could also just use a straight object like a ruler to see how off it is on either side.