PDA

View Full Version : Tango Down FDE vs Tan

hk51pdx
09-19-08, 19:58
I bought a Tango Down Battle Grip in Tan (private party), and a Vertical Fore Grip in FDE from Bravo Company. There are distinct color differences, which surprised me because it appears that Tan and FDE are often used interchangeably.

In fact, i got a response from Bravo: "Yes, TangoDown and Vltor FDE = Tan".

Are the recently produced TD Battle Grips a better match to the VFG?

I know the color has no affect on performance etc and it's a petty concern, but if i can have a better match i'd like to do it! I guess i could just go back to classic black. :)

Jim

MisterWilson
09-19-08, 20:05
I could be wrong but I think you may have gotten a counterfeit battlegrip.

If you look on Tango's website, they only have three colors, Black, FDE, & Foliage green.

If they don't match, I'd give 'em a call.

b_saan
09-19-08, 20:55
I could be wrong but I think you may have gotten a counterfeit battlegrip.

If you look on Tango's website, they only have three colors, Black, FDE, & Foliage green.

If they don't match, I'd give 'em a call.

I'm pretty sure that they used to sell "Desert Tan" as a color before migrating to FDE. He probably just got an older model.

MisterWilson
09-19-08, 20:56
I wasn't aware of that.

Well there you go.

RD62
09-19-08, 21:42
Hit it with some Krylon or Alumahyde.

-RD62

Bimmer
09-19-08, 21:43
No offense to the OP, but I'm reminded of the thread a couple days ago about using crayon to color the roll marks on lower receivers...

Ben

MisterWilson
09-19-08, 21:45
No offense to the OP, but I'm reminded of the thread a couple days ago about using crayon to color the roll marks on lower receivers...

Ben

Aww come on. There's a difference between prettying up your AR with crayons and having one part be an off enough color to drive you nuts and ruin your otherwise coordinated rifle.

Bimmer
09-19-08, 21:52
Aww come on. There's a difference between prettying up your AR with crayons and having one part be an off enough color to drive you nuts and ruin your otherwise coordinated rifle.

Sure, but I'm thinking of the shellacking that the crayon guy took in that other thread, as compared to how supportive this thread has been of the OP's concerns about his rifle's cosmetics.

Nevermind me, I'm just easily amused. I like my rifles to be pretty and color coordinated, too!

Ben

hk51pdx
09-19-08, 21:58

Ben

I understand. ;) But this also has to do with descriptions and (possible) changes to products. If you order online, as i do, i'm confident you'd like some reasonable expectation of what you are getting, right? I think i do have a Desert Tan grip, as b_saan mentioned. No problem. But some places currently sell grips as Tan and others as FDE, and they are likely the same.

I was just curious if anyone who has both the grip and the VFG in FDE sees a large variation in the color (i assume they don't).

Thanks for responding. Now, does Crayola have an FDE color...?

MisterWilson
09-19-08, 23:13
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/mastersqurm/Guns/DSC09297.jpg

The *ONLY* variation in color is with the Pmag, and unless you were looking for it you likely wouldn't know. It doesn't bother me at all and I'm anal as a mofo about these things.

How do ya'll like my black crayon job? :D

hk51pdx
09-19-08, 23:21
Thank you MisterWilson, that's exactly what i wanted to know. I appreciate it.

Jim

carbinero
09-19-08, 23:21
I have an FDE CTR, but got a Tan TD BG new on sale maybe 6 months ago for $19. The $$ savings works for me, and no one will inadvertantly grab the wrong carbine at the range. Sounds like you got gotten bad info about the color, but why not revel in its uniqueness?

MisterWilson
09-22-08, 12:02
I have an FDE CTR, but got a Tan TD BG new on sale maybe 6 months ago for $19. The $$ savings works for me, and no one will inadvertantly grab the wrong carbine at the range. Sounds like you got gotten bad info about the color, but why not revel in its uniqueness?

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/just-because-you-are-unique.jpg

militarymoron
09-22-08, 14:30
both tangodown and vltor offered their products in tan and OD until they made the switch to FDE and foliage green, eventually phasing the tan and OD out.
if they don't match, you got an older and a newer item.

hk51pdx
09-22-08, 15:33
Thanks for the additional confirmation, militarymoron. I actually went to your site as a source of truth so i knew i had something that was NOT FDE. As it turns out, i heard back from Tango Down today:

Thank you for contacting us. Our Tan and Flat Dark Earth are not the same
color. We originally introduced Tan before USSOCOM adopted Flat Dark Earth.
When we won the SOPMOD II contract for our vertical grips, we were
instructed to mold Flat Dark Earth. We then discontinued the Tan color.

In the meantime i have ordered an FDE Battlegrip (as well as a crap load of other stuff) so i'm GTG.

Thanks everyone.

Jim