PDA

View Full Version : SKD PIG inbound... Need pouch recommendations

graffex
02-03-17, 17:32
Ordered a PIG the other night should be here Monday or Tuesday. I need some recommendations on pouches and configuration. I know the taco pouches seem to get a lot of praise but other than that I don't really know whats what. I'm thinking 3 rifle pouches on the front and two on the side, and 2 pistol mags. Also will be adding a battle belt to go with it. Any configuration and or pouch recommendations would be fantastic.

GFX_9
02-03-17, 20:23
I really dig the gcode soft-shell scorpions. Id also recommend not going with 2 pistol mags on the plate carrier since you will have a belt where pistol mags would generally be high priority. Consider 1 pistol mag and a surefire 2 cell light on the pc instead of 2 pistol mags.Just my opinion, your mileage may vary and your waist size will also dictate what you can run comfortably on the belt. Also, don't forget medical.

Kain
02-03-17, 20:50
Esstac Kywi mag pouches are a personal favorite of mine, lower/thinner profile than Tacos, at least they used to be, I thought the tacos had been updated, but am not sure. I also am reccomending the Kywis assuming you are running just an AR, if you are running an AK, then the Tacos might be better option. I usually have my chest rigs and PCs configured for 3 mags in the front, and maybe another 1 or 2 off the belt. Personal preference there, I obviously could run more on either, but generally I don't see the need. I am not running a patrol or anything.

As far as pistol mags, I run them on the PC and belt both, reason being for myself, I sometimes just run my CCW and a PC or chest rig so it lets me reload without running the full damn thing. Options you know. I would not recommend running 2 pistol mag pouch with one pouch with a mag and the other with a light, the reason here is having done so, you index wrong you end up trying to feed you light to your glock and well shit goes bad.

Lastly, pan on ending up with a container full of pouches, and other odds and ends. You will end up exploring different pouches to find what works best for you.

graffex
02-04-17, 10:16
Solid advice gentlemen, I will check out the kywi. Don't own an AK so mags for that aren't a concern.

graffex
02-04-17, 12:22
On the kywi what works better on the chestplate? The tall or the shorty? Curious as to the retention difference between the two.

contax_shooter
02-04-17, 12:26
No personal experience or relation to them: Spiritus Systems Micro Fight Chest Rig Chassis MK2 looks pretty slick.

http://spiritussystems.com/micro-fight-chest-rig-chassis-mk-2/

Kain
02-05-17, 10:08
On the kywi what works better on the chestplate? The tall or the shorty? Curious as to the retention difference between the two.

It is kind of personal preference. I know, so helpful. :rolleyes: But, I've run both at one time or the other on a Chest rig as well as PC and both are viable to me it just depends on what I am trying to achieve. I will note that you can adjust height that the mags ride at a little, a bit more with the taller pouches. I usually run the shorties on my belt and tall on the chest and reload from the belt and then bump mags from the chest. That said, on some set ups I ran a single shorty on the chest with either tall pouches or regular flip cover pouches to feed the shorty with using the shorty like an FB pouch. If it helps currently am running all tall ones on my PC, but again I normally reload from belt normally. Also I am also running Pmags, if I was running a USGI without magpuls I might go with the shorties though just because the USGIs are a little shorter than the pmags. it comes down preference after so much.

As far as retention, just because the shorties are short doesn't mean that they don't hold on. If anything the friction retention on my examples are tighter than the tall ones.

I hope that helps.

graffex
02-05-17, 11:17
It is kind of personal preference. I know, so helpful. :rolleyes: But, I've run both at one time or the other on a Chest rig as well as PC and both are viable to me it just depends on what I am trying to achieve. I will note that you can adjust height that the mags ride at a little, a bit more with the taller pouches. I usually run the shorties on my belt and tall on the chest and reload from the belt and then bump mags from the chest. That said, on some set ups I ran a single shorty on the chest with either tall pouches or regular flip cover pouches to feed the shorty with using the shorty like an FB pouch. If it helps currently am running all tall ones on my PC, but again I normally reload from belt normally. Also I am also running Pmags, if I was running a USGI without magpuls I might go with the shorties though just because the USGIs are a little shorter than the pmags. it comes down preference after so much.

As far as retention, just because the shorties are short doesn't mean that they don't hold on. If anything the friction retention on my examples are tighter than the tall ones.

I hope that helps.

Thanks I just order a 5 of each (tacos, short kywi, and tall kywi). I'll run them all and see what I like best.

hotrodder636
02-05-17, 11:23
I really like my HSGI tacos. They have good retention, easy to mount of the molle webbing and though they collapse, the way the are built make it very easy to reinsert an empty mag back in them.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-05-17, 13:15
Tacos... tacos are the shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graffex
02-05-17, 16:33
Also just ordered a Ronin Tactics TF belt... Gonna put 2 pistol and 2 rifle mags on there with my gcode holster that has been on it's way going on 6-7 weeks. Excited got a lot of gear coming, if my wife knew how much I spent these last few weeks she'd kill me :) Benefits of working 7 days a week 12 hours a day for the last month :cool:

Dave L.
02-06-17, 08:28
I'm biased because I sell TACO's, but I used to be unwilling to trust them. I didn't trust the bungee cord and was very anti-TACO. After a challenge, I became a believe to the point where I wanted to have access to them all the time. The fact that I can use AR/AK/etc. in them was also a major factor.

I would just start with 3, single rifle mags on the front. I wouldn't bother with pistol mags on a vest or chest rig if you have a belt system. Belt system should have 2 pistol mags, 1 rifle mag, holster, med pouch. This gives you 5 rifle mags total which will solve most problems.

I used to love the Emdom IAP's but they don't work worth a crap with the new Gen M3 PMAG's (and also made in Hong Kong).

Good luck with your quest; start small and work up because your gear will continuously evolve.

Dave L.
02-06-17, 08:34
Also just ordered a Ronin Tactics TF belt.:

I've got 2 of them for down range use. One green one in MC. The green one always has to be tightened down, the MC belt always stays tight because the fabric has much more friction in the Cobra buckle.

I would just start with 1 rifle mag on the belt and 2 pistol. Get a good med pouch that's low profile. HSGI has a couple nice med pouches, the NOLATAC is nice because it pulls out of the sleeve. Where I work, almost all of use use the LBT LBT-9022B-T Modular Small Blow-Out Kit Pouch (http://lbtinc.com/9022bt).

Kain
02-06-17, 20:42
I first have to say, 15 pouches? DAMN!!! Lol.

Also just ordered a Ronin Tactics TF belt... Gonna put 2 pistol and 2 rifle mags on there with my gcode holster that has been on it's way going on 6-7 weeks. Excited got a lot of gear coming, if my wife knew how much I spent these last few weeks she'd kill me :) Benefits of working 7 days a week 12 hours a day for the last month :cool:

And what benefits would working 12 hours a day and 7 days a week be besides the OT pay? She see you to kill you? Lol.

I would say you will definitely have enough pouches to set up a rig, or two. I kind of set up an old Chest rig with my cast off pouches, just because.

I do think I am going to grab a few tacos next time SKD has a sale, want to play with them and I do want to set up a rig to run an AK, and again just because.

irondude
02-06-17, 21:55
Have you given any thought to fast mag carriers? I use these on a tactical tailor chest rig and LOVE them.

http://www.skdtac.com/ITW-FASTMAG-p/itw.110.htm

They are pretty cool and as the name suggests, are fast.

graffex
02-07-17, 08:08
I first have to say, 15 pouches? DAMN!!! Lol.

And what benefits would working 12 hours a day and 7 days a week be besides the OT pay? She see you to kill you? Lol.

I would say you will definitely have enough pouches to set up a rig, or two. I kind of set up an old Chest rig with my cast off pouches, just because.

I do think I am going to grab a few tacos next time SKD has a sale, want to play with them and I do want to set up a rig to run an AK, and again just because.

Once I decide what I like I'll sell the rest on EE. It is good to have options.

graffex
02-07-17, 08:09
Have you given any thought to fast mag carriers? I use these on a tactical tailor chest rig and LOVE them.

http://www.skdtac.com/ITW-FASTMAG-p/itw.110.htm

They are pretty cool and as the name suggests, are fast.

I actually am thinking about picking one or two up for my strong side belt reload.

Instaurator
02-07-17, 17:00
Cool thing about the PIG is that you have the two kangaroo pockets in the front flaps. I bought the inserts for those. Depending how many mags you want on your kit, its a very lopro way to put mags on your chest rig. And those inserts are cheap, or could be cheaply made. I'll second or fourth the good things about taco pouches. The tall KYWI rifle pouches on your PC will probably be difficult to extract the mag from, especially when they are new. The kydex inserts have a TON of retention. Which depending on your personal preference, could be good and bad. I do like the KYWI pistol pouches though. I keep mine the the trunk of my car with mags in them. They haven't lost too much retention after several years of keeping mags in them. They are GTG.

graffex
02-08-17, 15:55
Well I just mounted 4 taco's on the front of the plate carrier and I can tell you them bastards are never coming off. Talk about a pain in the ass to get on, I was cussing like crazy :)