PDA

View Full Version : range estimation with BDC reticle (why not?)

Kaiser Mike
02-04-17, 16:34
I've got a question into Nikon pertaining to this (will share when/if i receive answer) issue.

Ammo and so forth aside. Not worried about hold overs/unders at the moment.

On my Nikon, i have a vertical line of circles and lined spaces. Being as each has a known quantity, there SHOULD be a way to figure this.
Youtube vids make it out that "no! it cant be done!" I call BS. Yeah. A mil dot scope is going to be great for that job. I get it.

I dont have a mil dot scope tho.

Worst comes to worst, I'll take a day at the range and spend much of it NOT shooting. I think i can put a 1" grid target at 100 yds and measure said circles and spaces. I can convert the moa to mils.
I see no reason why this wouldnt work.

Any suggestions for "science" lol?

tat2
02-05-17, 13:41
Well if all of the dots on the BDC are exactly the same spacing I guess it would be a close WAG....
Can you make a guess as to how many mils or moa the dots are spaced apart? Usually there is a formula to calculate the distance but you need to know how many mils tall the target is first.

T

Screwball
02-05-17, 14:03
Fixed or adjustable magnification? Adjustable magnification usually only allows the reticule to be "accurate" for that type of work at one magnification setting... usually the highest. Not a consideration if you have a first focal plane scope (don't know Nikon's lineup, or what scope you have). If you figure it out at the correct power (again, likely high power), you are pissing in the wind at mid or low magnification.

Yes, if you figure out the angular measurement between the holds, you would be able to figure out what range you are at... ideally. I'd check the documentation for the scope you have. Should have some sort of idea on what those markings are valued at.

Only problem is if it works into some odd number. Then, you have to take a known size, and wing it to come up with an idea of your distance. That's why a Mil or MOA reticule is nice, because you have reference points in your angular measurement. If your 24" target is 6 MOA high... you are at 400 yards. Figuring proportions within your reticle may sound easy, but add in odd target sizes and an unknown range, you will have fun.

GH41
02-05-17, 14:25
If his reticle is this one he will have fun.
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/ghchhisc/NK3x9_zpserjyiqwh.jpg

tigershilone
02-05-17, 17:32
If his reticle is this one he will have fun.
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/ghchhisc/NK3x9_zpserjyiqwh.jpg

I have that exact scope reticle in the nikon team primos 3 x 9 that I started 22 competition with a few years ago. There is a reason it is in the "Sell off or trade" pile.

As screwball stated it will only work accurately on one magnification setting so all distance estimation must be done from that selected setting. Technically yea, OP could go work out a grid at whatever yardage and probably get pretty close. I'm not willing to put that time into something that has all ready been properly done in either a FFP or fixed power MIL-dot, MOA or Christmas tree ranging reticle scope.

The glass is actually pretty decent for its price, but the reticle turned out to be a waste of time and money for me. BDC reticles are just advertising gimmicks for ppl that don't know better yet.

Kadelic
02-05-17, 18:28
Depending on which scope you have, you might be able to use Nikon's Spot On app if you have an Android or iPhone device. Theoretically you could use the values the app gives you for each circle to calculate the difference in range. I have one of their Prostaff scopes on my 10-22 and the app was helpful hitting targets at known ranges. I'll have to try to measure ranges with it next time at the range.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#Index:4

Kaiser Mike
02-05-17, 20:59
Geez!

I think reading Sumerian clay tablets would be more simplistic!
Thanks for that regardless!

Kaiser Mike
02-05-17, 21:02
Depending on which scope you have, you might be able to use Nikon's Spot On app if you have an Android or iPhone device. Theoretically you could use the values the app gives you for each circle to calculate the difference in range. I have one of their Prostaff scopes on my 10-22 and the app was helpful hitting targets at known ranges. I'll have to try to measure ranges with it next time at the range.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#Index:4

For a known range? Its fantastic!

Kicker is, if you have a deer out 300 yds he's not gonna hold up a range sign for ya LOL!
When i get a day at the range, i'm gonna measure with a grid target the moa's to each mark. Not the best but hey. May as well make the best of what i got.

GH41
02-06-17, 07:37
For a known range? Its fantastic!

Kicker is, if you have a deer out 300 yds he's not gonna hold up a range sign for ya LOL!
When i get a day at the range, i'm gonna measure with a grid target the moa's to each mark. Not the best but hey. May as well make the best of what i got.

You probably shouldn't be shooting at deer at 300 yards with a 223 . I would say 200 max. With a 50-200 zero all you really need to know is if the deer is inside of 200 yards. If you know the average height of you local deer's body you should be able to use some part of the reticle to bracket the body at 200 yards. If the deer exceeds the bracket shoot. If it is smaller don't. Another option would be a rangefinder. Even the cheap ones will range a deer at 300 yards.

Kaiser Mike
02-08-17, 21:09
You probably shouldn't be shooting at deer at 300 yards with a 223 . I would say 200 max. With a 50-200 zero all you really need to know is if the deer is inside of 200 yards. If you know the average height of you local deer's body you should be able to use some part of the reticle to bracket the body at 200 yards. If the deer exceeds the bracket shoot. If it is smaller don't. Another option would be a rangefinder. Even the cheap ones will range a deer at 300 yards.

It was just a for instance but these scopes are also compatible with 308. Granted, the holds are going to be off. Make a dope card...but you still need to know the range...and we're back to that point lol.
After these posts, I am more and more seeing the wisdom of mildots.

STILL nothing from NIKON.

echo5whiskey
02-08-17, 21:56
Do you have a specific point to shoot from, or do you move around?

terraMODA
09-25-17, 16:39
I made a BDC subtention Calc in Excel. Just input your magnification and it calculates the new subtention at that magnification. Size your target with the reticle and input in 'inches' and it will calculate yardage. Easy-peasy.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=13684121389809681057

Pro tip: I run Excel on my smartphone and perform calculations in the field!
Let me know how it works for you. :)

steyrman13
09-25-17, 22:10
I made a BDC subtention Calc in Excel. Just input your magnification and it calculates the new subtention at that magnification. Size your target with the reticle and input in 'inches' and it will calculate yardage. Easy-peasy.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=13684121389809681057

Pro tip: I run Excel on my smartphone and perform calculations in the field!
Let me know how it works for you. :)

Do you have another way to download it besides signing up for that site?

terraMODA
09-25-17, 22:48
Do you have another way to download it besides signing up for that site?

Sorry, no. Didn't realize you had to sign up for it. The forum only allows uploads of 97k for zip files, which is pretty miniscule.

Pm me with an email address and I will send it to you directly, if you wish?

terraMODA
09-27-17, 03:42

Here is an updated version with upper and lower subtentions added, a better reticle diagram, and sheet is now protected so you can't inadvertently edit cells you're not supposed to. It's now small enough to attach here directly. Enjoy.

harveyspecter
09-27-17, 21:01

Here is an updated version with upper and lower subtentions added, a better reticle diagram, and sheet is now protected so you can't inadvertently edit cells you're not supposed to. It's now small enough to attach here directly. Enjoy.How to find the best scope for ar 15 in your range with BDC reticle? check here: https://www.dailyshooting.com/best-scope-for-ar15/

Awesome, Thanks TerraMODA. Already copy it to my smartphone :)

terraMODA
09-27-17, 22:29
Now with even more subtentions added! (Spaces between circles) Re d/l the above file (BDC Calc II.zip) for the latest version.

To the OP. Clearly, there are many, many ways you can range with the BDC reticle!

Kaiser Mike
11-02-17, 21:07
Glad i checked back in on this thread!!!
terraMODA! You Sir are a scholar and a gentleman!
PROST!