PDA

View Full Version : Federal Cartridge (Amerian Eagle) calibre markings?

bluejdixon
09-20-08, 00:34
Hey guys & girls,

New to posting, long time reader.... Full time idiot.... :)

Here is my dilemma.

Recently purchased some American Eagle (Federal Cartridge Company)
.40 S&W for my new Glock22. However, under inspecting the bullets, I realized
that there are no markings of calibre on the casings. Simply "FC - 08"

Any idea why, and how exactly would you tell these casings from rounds of similar appearance? (10mm, etc)

I can post pictures, if necessary,

Thank you in advance!

- Blue (yes, its my real name ... i will scan ID to prove it)

ps. my new Glock 22C is superb

Robb Jensen
09-20-08, 05:08
American Eagle is Federals econo line. FC stands for Federal Cartridge. I have no idea why they don't mark the cases with caliber unless they're using the same cases for 10mm and .40 and then just shortening them for .40 use even though 10mm typically uses a different primer. Could be a cost cutting thing.

One some American Eagle .223 you'll also see LC (Lake City) brass used with the NATO cross (plus sign in a circle) and the year, no caliber marking. This is because Federal is running Lake City.

bluejdixon
09-21-08, 00:53
Thanks for your reply!

I still, however, believe that its not the greatest policy to release ammunition with no definite markings regarding exactly what gun they fit into, and without
the box in which they came, there would be no discernible way to differentiate between others of similar sizes.

-Blue

markm
09-22-08, 08:59
I don't know of any cartriges that the .40 could be mistaken for. :confused:

Line up a .45, 9mm. .40, and a 10mm on a table and a blind man could tell the difference. That is interesting though. I've never seen any AE without the caliber markings on the headstamp.

bluejdixon
09-22-08, 14:05
... I cannot agree with your more, Demi, regarding the obviousness of recognition between rounds.

... I hope, however, that we can agree that in the age of decreased brain activity, companies such as Federal Cartridge Company would do diligence, and state what calibre this particular round is.

Thanks for the replies guys,

-Blue

markm
09-22-08, 14:20
I thought it was a requirement of some kind. But maybe that is for import ammo only?

A tricky round... at least when I pick up once fired brass at the range... the .204 Ruger. I looks just like .223 brass.