PDA

View Full Version : Thought I might run my new supplement stack past the forum and ask for feedback

BallisticHarmony
02-06-17, 18:20
I have no desire to get into an argument with any of the knowledgeable people here. I'm here to listen to suggestions and make adjustments to the stack if need be. Always trying to learn and increase my longevity however possible! Not trying to build muscle or anything like that, just not die.

https://s29.postimg.org/6i6nervyv/IMG_3124.jpg

Digital_Damage
02-07-17, 10:45
Not enough info, a supplement stack is just as the words suggest.

It is to supplement what ever deficiencies you are not getting from spoon and fork.

You would have to send your goal and diet plan for anyone here to get a rough idea.

BallisticHarmony
02-07-17, 11:06
Good point!

I'm almost 23, no health issues, moderately healthy diet with not enough vegetables and too much meat. Don't go in the sun enough, could use less anxiety.

Goal is to improve longevity. If I forgot something lemme know!

Edit: also trying to not eat after 7 pm, though recently I haven't been too successful. The studies involving time-restricted eating and a daily fasting window are really intriguing to me.

Leaveammoforme
02-08-17, 03:31
23 with no health problems and you're going to be popping all that daily? Seems a bit excessive.

Improve longevity? A satellite could fall from the sky and squish you tomorrow.

My non-professional advice to you is to live all aspects of your life in moderation and to not look towards "What pill can I take?" as a solution.

Not to mention, there's a good chance that 20 years from now one of the bottles you posted will somehow be linked to a disorder.

Ironman8
02-08-17, 05:27
Edit: also trying to not eat after 7 pm, though recently I haven't been too successful. The studies involving time-restricted eating and a daily fasting window are really intriguing to me.

Which studies have you read that give you this conclusion?

VSL3 is a great probiotic specifically for people with gastric ailments.
D3 is never a bad thing IMO.

As for the others, I'd bet that diet alone would suffice.

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 10:11
Here's one. If you check out Dr. Satchin Panda's work, or Dr. Ruth Patterson, you'll find all kinds of interesting reasons to let the body fast each day. Dr. Rhonda Patrick's been spearheading it for a while

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdf/S1550-4131(16)30250-9.pdf

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 10:14
Improve longevity? A satellite could fall from the sky and squish you tomorrow.

Not to mention, there's a good chance that 20 years from now one of the bottles you posted will somehow be linked to a disorder.

So because there's the possibility of dying any given day, I shouldn't do anything to prepare for the future? Seems a little irresponsible. As far as the disorder claim, sounds like unfounded cynicism. If you have studies, I'm all ears. Otherwise we go with the best information we have at any given time.

HCrum87hc
02-08-17, 11:27
There's not a super pill (or stack) that will make you live significantly longer. I've found that being in good physical condition will make a world of difference in one's later years, particularly those who are strong. My dad is a prime example. He's lifted weights consistently for 35 years. He's turning 60 in a few months and is in incredible shape for his age. I regularly come across people 10-15 years younger than him that look and act older than him. I'm not telling you not to take your supplements. They have benefits, and I take a few myself. However, they aren't miracle pills. I think you'll find you get more out of improving your physical condition and getting stronger. Life is a whole lot easier when you're strong.

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 11:45
As an orchestral percussionist who constantly needs to move instruments, I totally agree that strength makes life easier.

Leaveammoforme
02-08-17, 12:52
So because there's the possibility of dying any given day, I shouldn't do anything to prepare for the future? Seems a little irresponsible. As far as the disorder claim, sounds like unfounded cynicism. If you have studies, I'm all ears. Otherwise we go with the best information we have at any given time.

Interesting. I would consider looking towards a pill bottle (with no health issues) as irresponsible.

-Manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements and dietary ingredients are prohibited from marketing products that are adulterated or misbranded. That means that these firms are responsible for evaluating the safety and labeling of their products before marketing to ensure that they meet all the requirements of DSHEA and FDA regulations.

-FDA is responsible for taking action against any adulterated or misbranded dietary supplement product after it reaches the market.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/default.htm

Going with "the best information we have at the time" leads to this,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_withdrawn_drugs

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 13:34
Just because something hasn't been approved by the FDA doesn't mean it hasn't been researched by many people, and certainly doesn't mean it's poisonous. Maybe you aren't familiar with some of the supplements I listed, so I'll break them down for you. Cliff notes: none of them are remotely toxic.

Ashwagandha: natural remedy that's been used for thousands of years to reduce anxiety and improve congnitive function, sleep and memory.

Astaxanthin: just a potent carotenoid antioxidant extracted from algae. Shown in many studies to not be dangerous and does a great job protecting cell membranes.

VSL #3: just a probiotic.

BroccoMax: extracted glucoraphinin and myrosinase from broccoli seeds. Forms Sulforaphane in the body which has numerous health benefits.

Vitamin D: it's Vitamin D.

What about that stack is in any way dangerous?

jpmuscle
02-08-17, 13:48
Just because something hasn't been approved by the FDA doesn't mean it hasn't been researched by many people, and certainly doesn't mean it's poisonous. Maybe you aren't familiar with some of the supplements I listed, so I'll break them down for you. Cliff notes: none of them are remotely toxic.

Ashwagandha: natural remedy that's been used for thousands of years to reduce anxiety and improve congnitive function, sleep and memory.

Astaxanthin: just a potent carotenoid antioxidant extracted from algae. Shown in many studies to not be dangerous and does a great job protecting cell membranes.

VSL #3: just a probiotic.

BroccoMax: extracted glucoraphinin and myrosinase from broccoli seeds. Forms Sulforaphane in the body which has numerous health benefits.

Vitamin D: it's Vitamin D.

What about that stack is in any way dangerous?
Don't you dare bring Soylent into this thread lol.

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 13:49
Don't you dare bring Soylent into this thread lol.

Lol. I've purposely not brought that up. Still not dead!

sniperfrog
02-08-17, 14:05
I wish I had all the money back that I spent on supplements in my 20s. None of it really did anything.

the only thing I take is D3.

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 14:08
How do you know it didn't do anything? Not all effects are noticeable without an examination

Leaveammoforme
02-08-17, 18:41
Lol. I've purposely not brought that up. Still not dead!

But it was tested by people. Blood tests showed more healthier folks. So healthy that they were sick and poo-ing themselves.

Do you also have a portable Faraday cage to protect you from the ridiculous amount of radio waves that rip through you? I mean, for longevity and what not.

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 18:51
Well I've never been sick from any Soylent product. And I'm definitely not the only one. But go ahead, cherrypick more minority cases. Some diets aren't for everyone :)

Anyway, I'd like to un-derail this thread. We're talking supplements!

Mr. Goodtimes
02-08-17, 22:14
I don't think you need any of that... go in the sun more, eat more veggies. One of the tricks to eating healthy is realizing that food isn't pleasure, its fuel. It doesn't always have to taste good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 22:19
I don't think you need any of that... go in the sun more, eat more veggies. One of the tricks to eating healthy is realizing that food isn't pleasure, its fuel. It doesn't always have to taste good.

Totally agree! Boy, do I have the food product for you. Lol.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-08-17, 22:26
Totally agree! Boy, do I have the food product for you. Lol.

Go on....

Also, as far as sun... I don't care what anyone says about vitamin D... shoving vitamin D pills down your throat isn't the same as spending some quality time in the sun. I used to work indoors in a building that had no widows for 40-60 hrs a week and felt like shit all the time no matter how much vitamin d I took. We're meant to spend time in the sun.

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 22:28
https://www.soylent.com/

jpmuscle
02-08-17, 22:37
God dammit.... No.

BallisticHarmony
02-08-17, 22:38
Hey, he's the one who said food is fuel

HCrum87hc
02-09-17, 11:01
God dammit.... No.

I couldn't help but read this in Ron Swanson's voice thanks to your avatar. It humored me.

Scorpion
02-09-17, 11:43
Supplement stack?

Eat meat to build and maintain muscle. Eat fruits and vegetables for good health. Real food, not that soylent shit. Of course you're not dead yet - sometimes dumb shit takes a while to catch up to you.

Get the right amount of sleep. Lift heavy shit over your head, on your back, from the floor, off your chest. Pick up said heavy shit and walk with it. Run real fast every now and again. Rinse and repeat. Don't make this so complicated.

BallisticHarmony
02-09-17, 12:42
I'd love to know where in my schedule you would cram all that working out, grocery shopping and meal preparation.

First of all, I'm a full-time college student. Not some blowoff 4-year business or communications major, but Music Education. We're tied with Engineering for the most units required to graduate, except that many of our classes including ensembles, lessons, fundamentals and dictations are worth 1 unit, not 3. My average load for the past 5 years has been 10 classes a semester, or 20 a year. Oh, and we have to practice hours a day too, on top of studying.

On top of that, I'm a freelance percussionist and music instructor. You know when all of you are heading home from work or going to the gym? That's when I start driving to houses to teach privately, load my drums up for a gig, or start coaching marching band. My home arrival each weeknight is 9-11 pm, and yes I work weekends too. Sleeping in was a high school luxury.

So to respond to your "dumb shit" remark, this is the best I can do at this time. Maybe when I've graduated and have a steady job teaching at a school full-time with benefits, I'll have time to exercise more and routinely shop for fresh produce.

Until then, I'm already on the grind, and if you don't think these job involve exercise I'd love for you to try it some time. The marching band I teach won first place in California last fall for their division, and that wasn't from me sitting on my ass.

Double3
02-09-17, 12:46
Supplements are to "supplement" a good diet.

Scorpion
02-09-17, 13:17
Supplements are to "supplement" a good diet.

This right here. If you don't correct your diet, those supplements will be a waste.

Don't know where to fit eating in your schedule? Figure it out. You want to be healthier bad enough, you'll at least make time to eat the right foods. If you aren't inclined to do so then don't worry about any supplements. They won't help you.

BallisticHarmony
02-09-17, 13:19
I feel and look perfectly healthy, and my bloodwork concurs that.

Ironman8
02-09-17, 13:34
So...what was it you wanted to discuss here again?

Looks to me like you've already decided what's best for you...

BallisticHarmony
02-09-17, 13:39
So...what was it you wanted to discuss here again?

Looks to me like you've already decided what's best for you...

I was looking for specific recommendations regarding supplements I should or should not take, not people who think anything that isn't regulated by the FDA is poisonous bullshit.

I also wasn't expecting everybody to tell me to change my entire lifestyle either. I don't drink soda, I don't smoke anything, I rarely drink, and I get a good amount of sleep every night. I buy apples, carrots and tangerines. I was just looking to avoid serious diseases down the line by supplementing with stuff now, but apparently that was naïve of me.

Scorpion
02-09-17, 14:41
Well then if you are already doing those things then you don't really have anything to worry about. You're 23, not smoking, drinking, and I assume you're not fat or completely malnourished. Get through this busy period in your life, don't pick up any stupid habits or go too long depriving yourself of some of the things necessary to stay healthy and you'll be fine.

BallisticHarmony
02-09-17, 15:04
Thanks. 5'9" ~165 lbs

firefighter37
02-09-17, 17:14
I'd love to know where in my schedule you would cram all that working out, grocery shopping and meal preparation.

First of all, I'm a full-time college student. Not some blowoff 4-year business or communications major, but Music Education. We're tied with Engineering for the most units required to graduate, except that many of our classes including ensembles, lessons, fundamentals and dictations are worth 1 unit, not 3. My average load for the past 5 years has been 10 classes a semester, or 20 a year. Oh, and we have to practice hours a day too, on top of studying.

On top of that, I'm a freelance percussionist and music instructor. You know when all of you are heading home from work or going to the gym? That's when I start driving to houses to teach privately, load my drums up for a gig, or start coaching marching band. My home arrival each weeknight is 9-11 pm, and yes I work weekends too. Sleeping in was a high school luxury.

So to respond to your "dumb shit" remark, this is the best I can do at this time. Maybe when I've graduated and have a steady job teaching at a school full-time with benefits, I'll have time to exercise more and routinely shop for fresh produce.

Until then, I'm already on the grind, and if you don't think these job involve exercise I'd love for you to try it some time. The marching band I teach won first place in California last fall for their division, and that wasn't from me sitting on my ass.

Music Education? And you are talking crap about a 4 Year Business Degree or Communications Major? Give me a break...

BallisticHarmony
02-09-17, 17:17
It's an extremely difficult major which benefits society and isn't going to make you rich. But I don't even care that you don't value that because my Micro H-2 and LT660 mount just came and it's installed on the KAC! All is well with the world!

jpmuscle
02-09-17, 18:31
The time you spend researching the supplement stacks could be spent prepping real food? Just saying...

Ha