PDA

View Full Version : Best ACOG for Fixed Carry Handle?

Submariner
09-20-08, 11:30
First, I recognize that optics are properly mounted on flat tops to obtain a better spot weld. This said, I have an upper set up for service rifle competition. It will never be a flat top. Without optics and with aged eyes, it would for, social purposes, be better to have an ACOG available.

Which one do you suggest?

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-20-08, 12:35
I think it depends...

If you're running a bipod, I'd go for an ACOG, especially if you're trained/used to shooting prone.

If you're standing up/moving, I'd go for the new Reflex. It's feather light, and won't upset the natural balance of the weapon being mounted way up on the carrying handle.

I've been considering this very setup for my next AR...

Battl3fr0nt
09-21-08, 07:24
I would say any of the 4x models.. they will be best for competition due to the huge FOV you get and more power.. I use a TA31F and I love it but mine is on a flat top of corse.. I really wouldnt want to mount any optic on a handle.. but since you have no choice then check out the TA31F and another good choice would be a TA01 Full Red Line.. I like the Chevron better then the Crosshair type reticle since it is faster and I can get sub MOA groups with it (with match ammo of corse) I dont have a match barrel.. I have no need really I never shoot past 400m and I still get 4" groups using good ammo at the range.. But yeah one of the good things about it on the carry handle is you can still use your irons when you want to.. its fun shooting at 300m with iron sights imo.. but yeah check out a few different models but it seems the TA31F or the TA31RCOM4 are the top models going right now.. well they always have been..

rob_s
09-21-08, 08:49
4x fullsize models are too big and too unwieldy for a carry handle mount.

If you want the magnification, go with the 3x TA33R-8 (http://trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=557&back_row=2&categoryID=3). If you want an Aimpoint substitute, look at the 1.5x TA45R-2 (http://trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=185&back_row=0&categoryID=3).

I have both, and have run the TA45 on the A1-style carry handle of an M16 (slab side) 20" upper.

bullitt5172
09-23-08, 12:01
4x fullsize models are too big and too unwieldy for a carry handle mount.

If you want the magnification, go with the 3x TA33R-8 (http://trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=557&back_row=2&categoryID=3). If you want an Aimpoint substitute, look at the 1.5x TA45R-2 (http://trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=185&back_row=0&categoryID=3).

I have both, and have run the TA45 on the A1-style carry handle of an M16 (slab side) 20" upper.

As usual, I agree with Rob.

Ridge_Runner_5
09-23-08, 22:14
Wasnt the TA-01 designed for weapons with fixed carry handles?

bullitt5172
09-23-08, 22:21
Wasnt the TA-01 designed for weapons with fixed carry handles?

It was and while it is still an excellent choice, there are better choices IMO.

Bat Guano
09-28-08, 21:05
I have been running a 1.5X ACOG Compact (TA45-2) on the fixed carry handle of an M4gery for a little over a year now. I, too, have had to "graduate" from irons. I had been thinking of one, and when a cooperative dealer put one on one of his fixed handle guns for me to try, I fell in love with it. It is NOT too high on the handle--it's just right. Eye relief is great, FOV is plenty big. I have not worked with the Eotech but am familiar with them. When I do close drills with the ACOG, it's as fast as I can go. I find the 1.5X sufficient as I consider the carbine to be a 200 yard weapon; after that the M193 round isn't too impressive. Probably the best shooting investment I have made in years.:)

I also have some experience with the TA33 3 X 30 Compact, but for .308 and on an M1A. A good unit, but the eye relief and FOV are more critical. It is, however, a combat scope and not going to let you pick off flies at 300. I can get onto the sagebrush of my choice at 600 but a 6 power and up conventional scope with crosshairs would be better.

There is also a 2 X 20 Compact ACOG that might be a good compromise.

BTW I like amber reticles...

fabulous45s
10-04-08, 08:13
I agree, sticking to a compact ACOG will minimize the top heavy factor . Power and recticle will depend your taste, purpose, and eye vision. I've been happy using the TA47-2.
I find I like to keep a large FOV and my eyes pick up the contrast of the amber better than the red. I find that the triangle is fast and I can use the upper point for precision.
All that being said, I'm the only guy at work that had that model ordered for them. Most prefer higher power and a red ballistic recticle (i.e. TA33R-8).
To each their own.