PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question acog, ar stuff.

TacticalFun
02-09-17, 09:18
I have an ACOG ta31rco-a4 green on one of my ar's and it is not cooperating with my astigmatism. I am deathly afraid of putting it on ebay and getting a dishonest buyer. Where would a good place besides here to sell it? I more or less want to get $800 out of it so i can put it towards the new 1-8. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

sig1473
02-09-17, 09:45
Uh, Gunbroker.

TacticalFun
02-09-17, 09:49
Uh, Gunbroker.
Totally forgot about that. That's why I titled this dumb question LOL

Doc Safari
02-09-17, 10:02
I'm curious about your astigmatism. I have a TA33R-8 with red chevron and I also have astigmatism. My reticle is nice and sharp. I couldn't be happier with it except that I need practice holding it steady!

Maybe you need to try an ACOG with different eye relief, reticle shape or color?

TacticalFun
02-09-17, 10:06
I'm curious about your astigmatism. I have a TA33R-8 with red chevron and I also have astigmatism. My reticle is nice and sharp. I couldn't be happier with it except that I need practice holding it steady!

Maybe you need to try an ACOG with different eye relief, reticle shape or color?
That is a good idea. We do not have a dealer near by so i play roulette when i order things. The green is blurry always with my glasses and without. The black lines are sharp.

Doc Safari
02-09-17, 10:13
I've always found green and amber to be painfully intense. The red is intense too, but something about that color just seems to strain my eyes less.

I know you live in a "dealer challenged" area, but surely someone you know or maybe at a gun show you could look through a red reticle.

TacticalFun
02-09-17, 10:22
I've always found green and amber to be painfully intense. The red is intense too, but something about that color just seems to strain my eyes less.

I know you live in a "dealer challenged" area, but surely someone you know or maybe at a gun show you could look through a red reticle.
I will give the gun show option a try. Most shooters at rangers near by live by the good enough mantra.

SomeOtherGuy
02-09-17, 10:29
Selling: try this forum, and Gunbroker. I sell a lot on Gunbroker and have had only a few idiots. Less than 5%, probably closer to 1.5%.

Scope: I have a TA11 with the green crosshair and the green part blooms like mad in bright light, making for a less than ideal aiming point. You could also put some tape over part of the fiber optic to reduce the amount of light and get a sharper image without changing scopes. One drawback of the tritium/fiber optic ACOG is the variable illumination that's sometimes too bright. However, the glass itself is very good and I don't think your astigmatism is the issue. Obviously if you would just rather have a 1-8x this doesn't help you, but if you like the ACOG otherwise, try covering part of the fiber optic collector.

TacticalFun
02-09-17, 10:39
Selling: try this forum, and Gunbroker. I sell a lot on Gunbroker and have had only a few idiots. Less than 5%, probably closer to 1.5%.

Scope: I have a TA11 with the green crosshair and the green part blooms like mad in bright light, making for a less than ideal aiming point. You could also put some tape over part of the fiber optic to reduce the amount of light and get a sharper image without changing scopes. One drawback of the tritium/fiber optic ACOG is the variable illumination that's sometimes too bright. However, the glass itself is very good and I don't think your astigmatism is the issue. Obviously if you would just rather have a 1-8x this doesn't help you, but if you like the ACOG otherwise, try covering part of the fiber optic collector.
I will give that a shot on saturday

Doc Safari
02-09-17, 10:41
That does sound like a good fix. My bias is I just don't like the green or amber reticles to begin with.

StevethePirate
02-09-17, 14:29
Anywhere you sell, just be cautious and unafraid to back away.

I recently tried to sell a single action revolver on Armslist, and repeatedly had "different" people from Illinois offer to send me more than my asking price with the request that I send the change back. From a previous life in banking, I knew it was a scam and refused to do business with them, and reported the contact to Armslist.

Firefly
02-09-17, 14:34
I don't want to be "that guy" but couldn't you get a better prescription of glasses?

I know dudes who could literally fry ants with the sun and their spectacles who could comfortably use an ACOG.

Just a thought

ETA PayPal on ebay is pretty johnny on the spot and disputable. I don't think anyone even uses MOs on there anymore.

JME

TacticalFun
02-09-17, 14:41
I don't want to be "that guy" but couldn't you get a better prescription of glasses?

I know dudes who could literally fry ants with the sun and their spectacles who could comfortably use an ACOG.

Just a thought

ETA PayPal on ebay is pretty johnny on the spot and disputable. I don't think anyone even uses MOs on there anymore.

JME
I have been through many and no prescription has been perfect. I only need my glasses for shooting.

feraldog
02-09-17, 14:52
....You could also put some tape over part of the fiber optic to reduce the amount of light ... One drawback of the tritium/fiber optic ACOG is the variable illumination that's sometimes too bright. However, the glass itself is very good and I don't think your astigmatism is the issue...

i concur with SomeOtherGuy. having owned lots of acog dating back to the early 80s, i've tried a number of the fiberoptic models but found them unnecessary and too optically disturbing for me in daylight. putting tape over them helps, but then i have this delicate/breakable part i don't want or use. so i've dumped all my fiberoptic versions and gone back to the original verisons (mostly TA01 without a fiberoptic rod).

take some black vinyl tape to the range next time, or just put your hand over the rod to see if that is your problem.

t15
02-09-17, 14:57
Try some electrical tape over the fiber optic light collector. You will have to seal it carefully all along the edges. Green is the brightest acog color and the slightest bit of light will make it bloom. I also have a terrible astigmatism and a green acog. No problems using the tape.

foxtrotx1
02-09-17, 18:39
Tape is the way to go. ACOGS work better with my astigmatism due to the etched reticle and low brightness with tape. There is also the option of slipping a bike inter tube over the optic. I have even seen adjustable acog cozies with a zipper portion over the FO band. :D

TacticalFun
02-15-17, 12:26
So I tried all of that and it still looks like a blob of poop. Here is a picture of the reticle it looks normal in the picturehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/85395a1241f407a4a253b66be31ee15c.jpg

t15
02-15-17, 13:36
How would you describe it in pitch dark? Same as during the day?

For me, if I've sealed the fiber tube properly, the reticle will be completely black in daylight.

TacticalFun
02-15-17, 13:37
How would you describe it in pitch dark? Same as during the day?

For me, if I've sealed the fiber tube properly, the reticle will be completely black in daylight.
Dark is as bad. With it just black is ok

t15
02-15-17, 13:59
Not sure what you mean, but you will only need to lift up 1 quarter of the tape to get the reticle illuminated. It is very hard to balance visibility and too much illumination. My next acog will be the red Chevron.

TacticalFun
02-15-17, 14:00
Not sure what you mean, but you will only need to lift up 1 quarter of the tape to get the reticle illuminated. It is very hard to balance visibility and too much illumination. My next acog will be the red Chevron.
I think i am going to trade for something else. Here is a better picture https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/4415e6f782983c65de9757442fc22005.jpg

Doc Safari
02-15-17, 14:06
Try to find a stocking gun shop and look through different reticles. That's how I settled on the red chevron to begin with. Green and amber were just too light for me.

TacticalFun
02-15-17, 14:14
Try to find a stocking gun shop and look through different reticles. That's how I settled on the red chevron to begin with. Green and amber were just too light for me.
I will keep look but i think closest is 90 mins away

Doc Safari
02-15-17, 14:31
I will keep look but i think closest is 90 mins away

It's worth the drive. I saved a ton of money without having to experiment. Had I not stumbled upon the TA33 I would have wasted money on one or more ACOG's with too little eye relief and probably would have abandoned the idea of an ACOG.

TacticalFun
02-15-17, 14:48
It's worth the drive. I saved a ton of money without having to experiment. Had I not stumbled upon the TA33 I would have wasted money on one or more ACOG's with too little eye relief and probably would have abandoned the idea of an ACOG.
That's another problem with this one. the eye relief is really short.

Doc Safari
02-15-17, 15:10
That's another problem with this one. the eye relief is really short.

TA33 has the best eye relief. Just don't be tempted to put lense caps on it because they cause parallax. Apparently the optics are so tightly to spec that the muzzle caps compromise the light gathering just enough to matter.