PDA

View Full Version : Arizona M4 Get Together

Iraqgunz
09-20-08, 12:50
Guys,

Well I made it home yesterday and I am trying to get situated and acquainted with the new house. I would like to get a consensus on the dates that we can get together for some training and what topics or training that we want to conduct. I will be out of town from 6-10 OCT, and will be in training at GPS Defense 17-19 OCT.

bushmasterar15
09-20-08, 19:27
Well I'm in N. Arizona (Holbrook) if you make it this way.

Wally
09-20-08, 23:11
I am in PHX, where and when...Wally

Iraqgunz
09-22-08, 13:01
I just want to clarify that this is in reference to the regional training groups that we all discussed here a while back. If this is in the wrong area let's move it. I know there were more people who said that they were interested. Where you at guys?

MisterWilson
09-22-08, 13:19
It's good to hear that you made it back safe & sound dude. Did that lower look alright?

Depending how close you can make it to Tucson I'm down, and could probably scare up another three.

Iraqgunz
09-22-08, 13:47
The lower was fine (left feedback for you a while ago) and is currently in the oven. :D. BTW- I was in Tucson yesterday for the gun show. I got a few deals and learned that Lancaster Arms is right down the street here in Goodyear.

It's good to hear that you made it back safe & sound dude. Did that lower look alright?

Depending how close you can make it to Tucson I'm down, and could probably scare up another three.

Safetyhit
09-22-08, 16:48
Glad your back safe, buddy.

markm
09-23-08, 11:17
What we ought to do is organize a class through Glendale Community College. We can arrange to sign up for two days of training with Phil Hayes. It's like a hundred bucks for the course which is typically held at Ben Avery shooting range.

DarrinD
09-23-08, 11:21
I just want to clarify that this is in reference to the regional training groups that we all discussed here a while back. If this is in the wrong area let's move it. I know there were more people who said that they were interested. Where you at guys?

Right here: Phoenix-East Valley area, but will go West. Thanks for the post. Do you have an idea for a facility/location?

DarrinD
09-23-08, 12:32
Who Huh What? Is this class full?

(Nevermind... I found it on ToddG's site!)

It's also on this site with some additional information on a 7 screen VR simulator that students have been invited to run through after course time is over for each day.

See: AIM HIGH HIT FAST 11/2008 on M4C at: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18225

DarrinD
09-24-08, 04:21
Darrin,

I am all about finding a nice open area and shooting there. Everyone can bring their own targets and we can build simple target stands on site. I did that all the time in Cali when I would shoot out near my parents home.

Sounds good to me: I'm there. East of where I am (East valley) has lots of open places, although some of my old desert shooting areas have been fenced off. You can decide since I nominate you as Czar of the Phoenix M4C Shootout. . . . .

I have some steel spinning targets I used for my .30'06 but I don't know if my 5.56mm 55gr XM193 would spin the steel discs. . . . at least they'd make a "plink" on impact.

Magic Sauce
09-24-08, 05:09
Desert shooting will probably be the most practical solution for a "Get Together" type of event. There is plenty of desert shooting space around Phoenix, but you really need to know where it is. I can't help in this regard.

C4IGrant
09-24-08, 08:43

C4

markm
09-24-08, 08:48
Sweet! GandR is coming out with a BUNCH of free stuff! :cool:

C4IGrant
09-24-08, 08:55
Sweet! GandR is coming out with a BUNCH of free stuff! :cool:

Are you going to be there?

C4

MisterWilson
09-24-08, 09:47
Desert shooting will probably be the most practical solution for a "Get Together" type of event. There is plenty of desert shooting space around Phoenix, but you really need to know where it is. I can't help in this regard.

Might I suggest somewhere south of phoenix for us folks in Tucson who might like to attend?

Hey Grant, you comin' on down?

DarrinD
09-24-08, 11:52
Might I suggest somewhere south of phoenix for us folks in Tucson who might like to attend?

I know good places between Phoenix and Tucson via Florence, but not between the two via Casa Grande on the 10. Do you you know anywhere, perhaps along Route 87 that could be candidates? I'll still be there if it's west side of Phoenix, east side where I'm at, or on the way to Tucson.

Another suggestion is out east on the 60 or 202, we could take-over Rio Salado, a great county funded 500m rife shooting range with an all day fee of $2 per, and it includes target stands, shaded rest areas . . . . basically desert plus some basic nice-i-ties. On a weekend it would be too busy for a "desert shoot" atmosphere that it sounds like we're trying to get going.

azidpa
09-24-08, 13:21
What we ought to do is organize a class through Glendale Community College. We can arrange to sign up for two days of training with Phil Hayes. It's like a hundred bucks for the course which is typically held at Ben Avery shooting range.

I'm in PHX and signed up for the GCC Patrol Rifle Concepts class October 25 & 26.
Anyone else from here going?

until that day
Mark

MisterWilson
09-24-08, 13:34
Aww Hell, now you've lit a fire Mark.

Do you have a link to that class you'd told me about at the GCC?

Any idea on round count or other requirements (kneepads, etc)?

DarrinD
09-24-08, 13:53
I'm in PHX and signed up for the GCC Patrol Rifle Concepts class October 25 & 26.
Mark

Yes, you have my contact info . . . can you post the link and/or email me the details about who is teaching it. Thanks Mark,
Darrin

markm
09-24-08, 14:45

until that day
Mark

Next time I take that class I have to go down and get an instructor waiver or some such. GCC has some constraint in their registration that prevents you from taking the same course more than 4 times. My last time was my 4th time.

MisterWilson
09-24-08, 14:55
That good?

azidpa
09-24-08, 15:00
from what I have gathered from previous GCC courses:
expect less than 1k rds
0-200 yds (range dependent)

the GCC link (http://schedule.gc.maricopa.edu/get_class_info.php?sub=AJS&term=4086&site=All&subdes=Administration+Of+Justice+Studies&type=All)
scroll down to Patrol Rifle Concepts.
IIRC, it cost me $146 total to register.

Phillip Hayes is the instructor on tap. Folks who have trained with Phil have positive things to say about him. I'll see if I can find his contact info and ask him what the expected round count is.
Bring all the ususal range equipment; Eye/Ear pro , pads, mat , etc.
until that day
Mark

markm
09-24-08, 15:02
That good?

This is over the course of 5 or so years. And different instructors teach it. Guest instructors, etc. Plus you get a 2 day carbean class for just over $100. How can you beat that?

I take it every year or two to brush up my skills and learn something new.

markm
09-24-08, 15:07
Phillip Hayes is the instructor on tap. Folks who have trained with Phil have positive things to say about him. I'll see if I can find his contact info and ask him what the expected round count is.

I've trained with Phil three times I think. His classes are excellent. The round count is generally low as the focus is on quality not quantity.

The speed of the class will be dictated by the level of the shooters who show up. But no matter what, you'll get good training. The class will likely be on the DPS range (which I hate, but it's worth it).

azidpa
10-22-08, 15:48
just heard from GCC.

class will meet on the small bore range @ 0800.

Student Requirements: Students must provide a suitable shoulder fired firearm. (A .223, 7.62mm x 39mm caliber or centerfire pistol caliber semiautomatic carbine.) 500 rounds of ammunition. Sidearm with holster and 50 rounds for that weapon. Standard safety equipment (eye and ear protection and a billed cap), knee and elbow protection (optional).

I'll probably run the AK for both days.
GCC PATROL RIFLE CONCEPTS (http://www.gccaz.edu/justice/leo/files/ajs140aa.html)

until that day,
mark

b_saan
10-22-08, 16:26
I was planning on doing that course too and hoping to get together for any other AZ shoot/meet but my wife and I have new jobs lined up in MN and the house in N Scottsdale has been sold, we're packing now and will be on the road up to the new home in MN by 10/31 so looks like I'm out for good.

Would have liked to have met up with you guys before we left but it's been a very fast moving process. Good luck all, I'll be checking back in with MN members once we get established up in the frozen tundra again.

markm
10-22-08, 17:03
just heard from GCC.

I'll probably run the AK for both days.

If you have an AR, TAKE IT!

Phil is wanting to make the AR the requirement for the class. (i.e. AR ONLY)

You probably won't be asked to leave if you insist on running an AK since it's not yet officially a course requirement.... but... why be that guy?

Also... I heard Phil is wanting to push this class pretty hard. If your Aimdot or vertical fore grip is getting in the way of your progress, you might get a suggestion to try running without it. A no nonsense, reliable AR with a solid light option will go a long way when you train with Phil Hayes.

i303
10-22-08, 21:39
Can I be included? I'm in Yuma.

If you guys think about open range how does Freeman or Vekol Rd. sound? It's off I-8 and west of CAG.

But I think it's state trust so it may be a no-go.

azidpa
10-22-08, 23:12
ok, I'll bring the AR along too :D

testudo
10-22-08, 23:48
I am in down in Tucson and am interested in a training group get together.

The GCC class sounds fun, but this Saturday I have job stuff I can't miss. Hope you all have a good time. Please post how it goes.

markm
10-23-08, 08:52
ok, I'll bring the AR along too :D

Otherwise he'll try to loan you one of the County ARs.... unless of course an SKS shooter shows up.... then he's getting the loaner AR.

We actually had a guy show up with a .22 lr. He obviously had to borrow an AR that Phil brought out. After the first drill or two I looked over at the guy, and he had NO ear pro on. I gave him some plugs. Poor, young, dumb bastard. He said he worked at discount tire and was used to loud noise. :(