PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose an optic

ubet
02-09-17, 23:09
I have a colt 6920 currently equipped with an aimpoint pro. I've been having a tough time hitting coyotes past 200yds with it. The rifle lives in my company pickup and whatever glass gets put on it I want to be reliable and somewhat compact. Was thinking of going with the acog ta01nsn. Is their any other options out there that might fit what I'm needing? Looking to be accurately hit a coyote to 400yds, I know the rifle is a 1.25 moa rifle how it's set up currently, and know it's not a precision rifle so I'm not looking for a precision rifle scope. Just enough magnification to get the job done and reliable to good zero. But would like to be able to do closer up stuff too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
02-10-17, 11:29
I don't like most of the ACOGs due to the very short eye relief. There are some models like the TA11 that have more normal eye relief, but they give up field of view (this is somewhat of an inherent tradeoff) and are fairly expense and low magnification. The ACOG is very old technology at this point. It's rugged, but it offers less features than many new options, and the new options can be more than adequately rugged as well.

A 1-6x or 1-8x would easily do what you want, and even a 1-4x would probably be OK if you choose the right one. In a few months there will be a Vortex Viper PST, gen2, 1-6x24 that appears to be very similar to the well regarded Razor 1-6x for about half the price. That is likely to be a top choice. The 1-6x Razor would also be good but is rather heavy and expensive. The Burris XTRII 1-5x24 is another very good scope, available today. There are numerous 1-6x etc. options discussed in various threads here. I think one of those is likely your best bet and encourage you to look through all the recent threads.

ScottsBad
02-10-17, 11:54
Yeah, the Vortex PST in 1-6 GenII might be a very good choice for the money. There is also the new Trijicon 1-8 for about the same cost as an ACOG, if you can find one.

But I have to ask; Do you need 1X on the low end. After all, you seem OK with a 3x to 4X ACOG. The sweet spot in the cost/value ratio is in the 3-9X scopes for hunting. There are a ton of those. Also, there are a few nice 2-10X which would give you a much better magnification for identification and shot placement. Vortex has a new PST Viper 2-10X GenII. I've not seen one myself, and there are others. Burris has some XTR II stuff people like...

ScottsBad
02-10-17, 11:56
I don't like most of the ACOGs due to the very short eye relief. There are some models like the TA11 that have more normal eye relief, but they give up field of view (this is somewhat of an inherent tradeoff) and are fairly expense and low magnification. The ACOG is very old technology at this point. It's rugged, but it offers less features than many new options, and the new options can be more than adequately rugged as well.

A 1-6x or 1-8x would easily do what you want, and even a 1-4x would probably be OK if you choose the right one. In a few months there will be a Vortex Viper PST, gen2, 1-6x24 that appears to be very similar to the well regarded Razor 1-6x for about half the price. That is likely to be a top choice. The 1-6x Razor would also be good but is rather heavy and expensive. The Burris XTRII 1-5x24 is another very good scope, available today. There are numerous 1-6x etc. options discussed in various threads here. I think one of those is likely your best bet and encourage you to look through all the recent threads.

There are only a couple OZ. difference between the Razor 1-6 and the new Viper 1-6 that's what bugs me about the new Viper. JMHO